Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2017, 10:09 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times

Advertisements

Celtics now have new life

Old 04-21-2017, 11:09 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
And he was actually playing well! This has to change the complexion of this series. Can Boston come back or will Butler and Wade push the Bulls to a series win?

Old 04-21-2017, 11:11 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The MVP award hasn't gone to the best player in the league many years.

It's a regular season team wins award so Harden is probably the best bet this year.

Doesn't mean he's better than Lebron just like Steve Nash probably wasn't even a top 5 player when he won his...twice.
I know that- just sounding off about the process (every year now).

I think it is Harden as well- taking nothing away from him- he's a great player he's elevated the Rockets. If we redefine the award he's not the guy I'd pick.

And as I've said a handful of times on here- I like that Lebron is a Cav, but I'm not gonna follow with my fandom if he goes to another team.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:59 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I know that- just sounding off about the process (every year now).

I think it is Harden as well- taking nothing away from him- he's a great player he's elevated the Rockets. If we redefine the award he's not the guy I'd pick.

And as I've said a handful of times on here- I like that Lebron is a Cav, but I'm not gonna follow with my fandom if he goes to another team.
I kinda like how they do the MVP award the more I think about it. Adds some spice to the regular season and makes those extra wins important in some way besides seeding.

Also throws some mystery into the award since otherwise it would just keep going to more or less the same 1-2 guys year after year.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:13 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I kinda like how they do the MVP award the more I think about it. Adds some spice to the regular season and makes those extra wins important in some way besides seeding.

Also throws some mystery into the award since otherwise it would just keep going to more or less the same 1-2 guys year after year.
I guess the mystery is not as intriguing to me, and if a player is worthy of 6 straight MVPs more power to his ability to impact the game. You can make a case for handful of guys. I've never really been shocked with a pick I've just felt some may be more worthy than others. It is honestly hard for me to excited about individual awards in a team game, but more and more fans appreciate the players over the team.

Now, The current format of the regular season is hard to jazz up in any way shape or form. I think too many teams make the playoffs (as I write this the Bulls as an 8 seed are up 2-0)- the NFL model might work Top 2 get byes, seeds 3-6 play first round- that way most if not all teams are mindful of falling out of the playoffs if they don't perform well each week. Lebron and Co. might worry about resting too much and falling to 3 and not getting their rest in the playoffs.

I'd also shorten up the season.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:30 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,043 times
I think the playoff structure is ok. The Bulls this year making things interesting, a few years back the 8-seed Sixers took out the Bulls when Rose went out and took the Celtics to 7. There was no chance for the Sixers to get to the finals, but it made some good basketball for a month.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
I think the playoff structure is ok. The Bulls this year making things interesting, a few years back the 8-seed Sixers took out the Bulls when Rose went out and took the Celtics to 7. There was no chance for the Sixers to get to the finals, but it made some good basketball for a month.
That 2012 bulls team was still a better team without rose and should have beat the sixes in round 1

Old 04-21-2017, 02:17 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,043 times
Thanks?

Actually, the the Sixers took the Celtics (with Pierce, KG, Allen, Rondo) to 7 (down by 3 going into the 4th quarter). They still had a chance. These Sixers weren't great, but they had Iguodala who is great, and did well by playing sharp defense and giving very few turnovers. All I remember from that series against Chicago was all the Bulls fans whining that Turner said they'd rather face the Bulls than the Heat in round 1. Which was obviously true, Rose or no Rose.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:01 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Celtics now have new life
The Bulls should take care of business tonight. Rondo or no Rondo, the Celtics have some serious issues going on with their game, or lack thereof.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The Bulls should take care of business tonight. Rondo or no Rondo, the Celtics have some serious issues going on with their game, or lack thereof.
Boston came out and built a 20 pt lead tonight in Chicago but I forgot that a 20 pt lead in the 1st qtr of a NBA means nothing. lol Celtics are only up 3 and the Bulls are trying to steal the momentum in the second half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball