U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 08:12 AM

4,211 posts, read 2,828,597 times

Advertisements

Where would you guys rank him 1)amongst the GOAT Celtics, and 2)amongst the GOAT wings, and 3)amongst the GOAT of his generation?

Open to extreme debate. Paul Pierce was always one of my favorite players, but objectively here is how I'd answer my own questions:

1)at best, I'd say he's the #3 Celtic all-time. But I'm younger than many of you guys and some of you may be able to provide more clarity to his position on that historic franchise. There's no way he's moving beyond Bird or Russell, but there is another starting 5 of HOF talent from that franchise alone, so I'm interested in hearing where he ranks in Celtic tradition...

2)I don't think he's a GOAT wing, as in Top 10 at the 2-3 combo guard/forward. Too many other players who had longer peaks, and higher peaks...

3)Pierce's prime was in the '00s, roughly 02-09, but a decade in which he averaged better than 20 ppg 8/10 seasons. He carried the weight of that franchise the entire decade through some very difficult times. At best though, he was only a Top 12-15 player for the decade, and at his very peak, maybe a Top 5 wing. That was a short-lived peak, though, and viewing the entire 2000-2009 decade, you have to put him behind Kobe, T-Mac, and Lebron. Depending on how you value Iverson position-wise, I think we'd all agree he was a better player with a larger impact than Pierce. Also, was he better than 04-09 Wade?

My final thoughts are that he was a bit underrated in his prime, but has been slightly overrated during his "retirement tour" the last 4 years or so. He's a Hall of Famer for the consistency he showed in carrying bad Celtics teams; he won a ring and was a Kendrick Perkins injury from being a 2x champion. But there's levels of greatness. His greatness will not be remembered to the same level of several of his contemporaries during his best years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 11:59 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,874,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Where would you guys rank him 1)amongst the GOAT Celtics, and 2)amongst the GOAT wings, and 3)amongst the GOAT of his generation?

Open to extreme debate. Paul Pierce was always one of my favorite players, but objectively here is how I'd answer my own questions:

1)at best, I'd say he's the #3 Celtic all-time. But I'm younger than many of you guys and some of you may be able to provide more clarity to his position on that historic franchise. There's no way he's moving beyond Bird or Russell, but there is another starting 5 of HOF talent from that franchise alone, so I'm interested in hearing where he ranks in Celtic tradition...

2)I don't think he's a GOAT wing, as in Top 10 at the 2-3 combo guard/forward. Too many other players who had longer peaks, and higher peaks...

3)Pierce's prime was in the '00s, roughly 02-09, but a decade in which he averaged better than 20 ppg 8/10 seasons. He carried the weight of that franchise the entire decade through some very difficult times. At best though, he was only a Top 12-15 player for the decade, and at his very peak, maybe a Top 5 wing. That was a short-lived peak, though, and viewing the entire 2000-2009 decade, you have to put him behind Kobe, T-Mac, and Lebron. Depending on how you value Iverson position-wise, I think we'd all agree he was a better player with a larger impact than Pierce. Also, was he better than 04-09 Wade?

My final thoughts are that he was a bit underrated in his prime, but has been slightly overrated during his "retirement tour" the last 4 years or so. He's a Hall of Famer for the consistency he showed in carrying bad Celtics teams; he won a ring and was a Kendrick Perkins injury from being a 2x champion. But there's levels of greatness. His greatness will not be remembered to the same level of several of his contemporaries during his best years...
Paul Pierce:
1) Not in the ballpark
2) Not in the ballpark
3) Not in the ballpark

Comparisons
1) All-time Celtics before Paul Pierce gets mention (at least): Bob Cousy, Bill Russell, KC Jones, John Havlicek, Dave Cowens, Bird, McHale, Parish, Kevin Garnett.

2) This list is just enormous. He's in the top 100, probably. I don't think you can justify him in the top 50.

3) Pierce had longevity: 1998-2017. He played against Scottie Pippen as a rookie, and now against a rising Andrew Wiggens. The best of his eras? Malone, Shaq, Garnett, Yao, Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Webber, Duncan, Iverson, Kidd, Howard, etc., etc. Pierce was a very good player, but never among the league's best.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:48 PM

51,928 posts, read 41,791,093 times
Pierce was a 2-way player that was REALLY good for a long time but with zero 1st team all NBA selections he's clearly not belonging in any sort of GOAT conversation and during his career was typically a top 8-15 type player.

He'll should make the HOF pretty easily based upon a huge body of work from college to the pros including a Finals MVP.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:10 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,286,180 times
I don't even know where he ranks as far as All Time Celtics. There's just too much talent at the top of a list like that. He's in the Celtic pantheon though. I really wanted to see Pierce remain in Boston for his entire career.

I think Pierce fits comfortably in with a group of guys who defined their era. Kobe, Tim, Dirk, Garnett, Shaq, Nash, and other greats are his contemporaries. He's a champion and a Finals MVP. He's first ballot Hall of Fame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or