Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2017, 11:54 PM

14,640 posts, read 14,517,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
You mean the Cavs will not win the Finals next year with a similar roster. Of course they will be back. They could lose either Love or Kyrie to injury and still be favorites to make it out of the East.

No way you trade Kyrie. Unless you somehow get a kings ransom in return which is his worth. Problem with Love is I just don't think he is worth that much in a trade. His stock is at a low.
They could unload him for payroll reasons and sign a player like Ibaka who will make an impact, giving you more money for the bench. Not that I want to give the Cavs any ideas, lol.
In the end, the truly great franchises still draft and trade well for sustained success. Like McCaw making an impact for the Warriors late in the game tonight, or Murray looking good in his playoff debut for the Spurs. Like picking Kawhi Leonard, Finals MVP, after so many teams passed him over in the draft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 12:10 AM

32,880 posts, read 12,155,018 times
Quote:
I guess I can stop referencing Durant as the second or third best player in the league. Durant is #2 and Curry is #3.
I read an article within the last week that discussed Curry's below market contract paving the way for the current roster. The article also discussed the increase in the salary cap/TV money/and future contracts. The article indicated that in the next few months Curry will likely sign a max deal that will be a little over $200 million for 5 years, and that Durant will sign a 1 year deal and that the next year Durant will be eligible for and will likely sign a max deal similar to what Curry will have in place.

I love it! I'm a Bay Area native. I added a 6th team (the Lakers....to the 5 Bay Area teams) when I was 6 (over half a century ago) after reading a book about Jerry West. I endured plenty of ribbing from my rabid Celtics fan dad...until the Lakers finally won on May 7th 1972....Championship #1. Now 45 years, 1 month, and 5 days later...this is the 29th championship for 'my' 6 teams....2 in each sport...(14 NBA titles, 8 Super Bowl wins, and 7 World Series wins). Love it!

I live near Houston.....and I love the Texans, the Astros, and the Rockets....but each is my #3 team in each sport.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:14 AM
Status: ""...I wrote it down, now I follow thru..."" (set 18 days ago)

5,756 posts, read 5,524,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
If the Cavs trade Kyrie they'll never win another championship. They also have the highest payroll in the league and are well over the cap, so they will have to cut a lot of payroll to make major changes in the offseason. The Warriors still have quite a bit of flexibility, but most of it will probably be used to lock up Curry this offseason. They may find a way to keep Iguodala while losing Livingston and a couple other key bench players.
They will have to cut a ton of payroll and it will not be easy to do so, because most of their players have no value...

I'd throw Kyrie's name out there and see what we can get. Paul George is a better player than Kyrie and if that was possible, I think that's a net positive, however...trading Kyrie doesn't address the fact that there is no market for point guards this year (besides Paul who we know isn't coming to Cleveland). So, it would make no sense to off Kyrie when there is no suitable replacement for him...

Quote:
You mean the Cavs will not win the Finals next year with a similar roster. Of course they will be back. They could lose either Love or Kyrie to injury and still be favorites to make it out of the East.

No way you trade Kyrie. Unless you somehow get a kings ransom in return which is his worth. Problem with Love is I just don't think he is worth that much in a trade. His stock is at a low.
Hey, I'm not sold on a trade Kyrie situation, but I'm not averse to shopping him for George (or Paul, which is a much lesser possibility). Kyrie holds the ball, is a poor defender, and stalls the offense. He's a brilliant scorer but also isn't a winner--he cannot keep the team afloat when Lebron sits. As Lebron continues to age, that is a HUGE black mark on Kyrie. He's not ready to take the reigns, but you do know if you had George or Paul, they are winners--not champions, but winners in the sense they've won leading teams as a #1, and you know they can control a game or games if LeBron rests. I am absolutely not averse to trading Kyrie for those two...

But I don't think it's going to happen...

I actually like Love's game and think he fits better defensively with what they could be. I like him and Thompson together, but the Cavs have no frontcourt depth. Getting rid of Love doesn't change the fact that they still have no frontcourt depth. I'm open to trading him too, but if you gave him and a couple role players up for George, how are we addressing the frontcourt depth, frontcourt defense problem?

Trading either of those two is secondary priorities. The very first and most important order of business is building up a bench that can defend, can score, and is younger. The bench did absolutely NOTHING this Finals outside of filling space, and was massively outplayed by the Warriors bench. I think Frye, Jefferson, both Joneses', both Williams', absolutely have to be gone, no exceptions. Every one of those players besides Derrick Williams is in their mid-30s and washed up, and for Derrick Williams, he can't give you anything meaningful. The bench is the biggest priority. The core of Lebron/Kyrie/Love/Thompson can only get better together and is experienced with proven chops. The bench is what failed them and what has to change...

Get me JJ Redick and Paul Millsap and we are instantly a better team. You have two players that greatly improve our defense, an added big that can help in the frontcourt and is still productive, and a good shooter who can give you meaningful minutes. Those moves alone probably don't beat the Warriors as currently constructed but likely send this series past 5 games. There are other moves that need to be made but the entire bench should probably be flipped!

Old 06-13-2017, 12:54 AM

858 posts, read 1,140,371 times
Congrats to the Golden State Warriors!!! What an amazing 3 year run, two titles and the year they didn't win it they went 73-9 - best in history.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:59 AM

11,191 posts, read 9,011,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
He was referring to Durant
I know. Lebron is also balding and he has HGH rumors.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:07 AM

11,191 posts, read 9,011,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
LeBron will never leave Cleveland again.
Why do people keep saying that? He left before and he can leave again. He won a championship already. If the other superstars leave and no one wants to join him in Cleveland, Lebron will have no one helping him. I can see him going to LA. He has a home over there. LA Clippers to join CP, Doc Rivers, maybe Melo and Dwade.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:09 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,709,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
They will have to cut a ton of payroll and it will not be easy to do so, because most of their players have no value...

I'd throw Kyrie's name out there and see what we can get. Paul George is a better player than Kyrie and if that was possible, I think that's a net positive, however...trading Kyrie doesn't address the fact that there is no market for point guards this year (besides Paul who we know isn't coming to Cleveland). So, it would make no sense to off Kyrie when there is no suitable replacement for him...

Hey, I'm not sold on a trade Kyrie situation, but I'm not averse to shopping him for George (or Paul, which is a much lesser possibility). Kyrie holds the ball, is a poor defender, and stalls the offense. He's a brilliant scorer but also isn't a winner--he cannot keep the team afloat when Lebron sits. As Lebron continues to age, that is a HUGE black mark on Kyrie. He's not ready to take the reigns, but you do know if you had George or Paul, they are winners--not champions, but winners in the sense they've won leading teams as a #1, and you know they can control a game or games if LeBron rests. I am absolutely not averse to trading Kyrie for those two...

But I don't think it's going to happen...

I actually like Love's game and think he fits better defensively with what they could be. I like him and Thompson together, but the Cavs have no frontcourt depth. Getting rid of Love doesn't change the fact that they still have no frontcourt depth. I'm open to trading him too, but if you gave him and a couple role players up for George, how are we addressing the frontcourt depth, frontcourt defense problem?

Trading either of those two is secondary priorities. The very first and most important order of business is building up a bench that can defend, can score, and is younger. The bench did absolutely NOTHING this Finals outside of filling space, and was massively outplayed by the Warriors bench. I think Frye, Jefferson, both Joneses', both Williams', absolutely have to be gone, no exceptions. Every one of those players besides Derrick Williams is in their mid-30s and washed up, and for Derrick Williams, he can't give you anything meaningful. The bench is the biggest priority. The core of Lebron/Kyrie/Love/Thompson can only get better together and is experienced with proven chops. The bench is what failed them and what has to change...

Get me JJ Redick and Paul Millsap and we are instantly a better team. You have two players that greatly improve our defense, an added big that can help in the frontcourt and is still productive, and a good shooter who can give you meaningful minutes. Those moves alone probably don't beat the Warriors as currently constructed but likely send this series past 5 games. There are other moves that need to be made but the entire bench should probably be flipped!
No one on that Cavs bench should be coming back next season.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:12 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,709,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Why do people keep saying that? He left before and he can leave again. He won a championship already. If the other superstars leave and no one wants to join him in Cleveland, Lebron will have no one helping him. I can see him going to LA. He has a home over there. LA Clippers to join CP, Doc Rivers, maybe Melo and Dwade.
He don't have many years left to be jumping ship again trying to win a title. Three years at the most so he should finish his years in Cleveland and retire.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:38 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,020,689 times
No way Lebron goes to the west. No way.

I don't care where he has a house, he's got houses all over the country.

He will never leave the east for the simple fact that as the east is currently constructed, he's got a direct path to the finals every year. Unless the east has a huge shake up he will stick around.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:39 AM

45,308 posts, read 26,815,759 times
Congrats to GSW and KD. While I didn't care for his move to GSW, I am not going to hate on anyone for doing what they need to do to meet their life goals (as long as it isn't illegal, immoral, or fattening).

Quote:
I guess I can stop referencing Durant as the second or third best player in the league. Durant is #2 and Curry is #3.
Durant is the best offensive player in the league. He had a 50-40-90 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This should in no way detract from Lebron's greatness.

James fought like a warrior every second he was on the floor. Quitting is not in his vocabulary.
Agreed - loved the bully-ball offense down the stretch. After playing for all except 27 seconds, he still had the energy to repeatedly push his defender in the paint and lay it in at the end of the game.

Kyrie stiffened up when he took his break at the end of the 3rdQ - and I knew it was coming. Shot two airballs in the 4thQ and his layups were short on the rim.

JR Smith manned up and played big.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 06-13-2017 at 07:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball