U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2017, 06:16 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,429,763 times

Advertisements

Jordan
Kareem
Wilt
Magic
Bird
Lebron
Duncan
Oscar
Bryant
Shaq

Subject to change at any given time but I feel good about the top five.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:34 AM

227 posts, read 770,859 times
Had Lebron not high enough in my original

1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. Lebron
4. Magic
5. Wilt
6. Kobe
7. Larry
8. Bill Russell
9. SHAQ
10. Duncan

Honarble Mentions: Hakeem and Oscar Robertson

Old 07-02-2017, 01:35 PM

167 posts, read 76,169 times
I don't remember if i have posted mine. either way if you ask me 10 times, you'd get 10 different lists, so here it goes

Jordan
LeBron
Magic
Bird
Shaq
Kareem
Moses
Wilt

^ all of these were clear best, dominant players in the league for a span of at least 3 years

Duncan
Dirk

^ out of the rest, giving preference to players who carried ****ty teams to championships, that is no teammates who were considered all star caliber at the time (Duncan in '03)

Rick Barry and maybe Hakeem were the other ones who carried teams to a championship without much help (Hakeem '94), but I think their competition was less impressive compared to what Duncan and Dirk had to face. Hakeem was lucky to avoid the Sonics and Jordan, and when it comes to Barry, mid-70s in general wasn't a great time for NBA.

I would also like to give a spot to Russell and Robinson, but I ran out of room this time. on another day, they might be in my top 10, they certainly were as good as some of the above players.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:30 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,126,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietstormP View Post
1. Wilt Chamberlain
2. Oscar Robertson
3. Jordan
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Abdul Jabbar
6. Hakeem Olajuwon
7. Magic Johnson
8. Shaquille O'Neal
I know I am going to **** off a lot of people with the two listed below.
9. Charles Barkley
10. Steph Curry. No one has ever shot like him. No one has been unanimous MVP ever during the time when Lebron James obsession, the hand picked chosen one of the NBA is still in effect.

Kevin Durant. Never seen anyone built like him do what he does. He is a unicorn. Clearly has been the best player in the NBA for years.
Never been impressed with Lebron's game. I think its is lack of midrange jump shot. To me he should have a double double every night but he is just not aggressive player. No memorable moment. No signature move.
The top 10 list amazed me when they played. I remember them for signature moves.
I can't argue with Wilt being number 1 but Oscar over Jordan ?

And Charles Barkley at #9 is a crime lol No Duncan or Bill Russell !!

Old 07-03-2017, 03:43 AM

47 posts, read 22,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
I can't argue with Wilt being number 1 but Oscar over Jordan ?

And Charles Barkley at #9 is a crime lol No Duncan or Bill Russell !!
Are people selecting Tim Duncan solely over longevity?

I will probably revise my top ten. I really want to go off just pure skill. Durant will be in the top ten. No player has the skill talent he has.

The triple double over a season was just too awesome and rare. Amongst all these great players in the NBA none have done that prior to Westbrook. You have many greats that consider Oscar the best ever. I myself lived in Chicago area during the Jordan area before moving to Virginia. I loved Mike. I probably should put Mike over him.

Russell was a booboo I moved him down the list and removed him totally. Getting 10 in is hard.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:44 AM

52,006 posts, read 41,844,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietstormP View Post
Are people selecting Tim Duncan solely over longevity?

I will probably revise my top ten. I really want to go off just pure skill. Durant will be in the top ten. No player has the skill talent he has.

The triple double over a season was just too awesome and rare. Amongst all these great players in the NBA none have done that prior to Westbrook. You have many greats that consider Oscar the best ever. I myself lived in Chicago area during the Jordan area before moving to Virginia. I loved Mike. I probably should put Mike over him.

Russell was a booboo I moved him down the list and removed him totally. Getting 10 in is hard.
From 1998 to 2005 Tim Duncan made 8 straight 1st team all-nba selections while carrying the Spurs to 3 championships and 3 finals MVP's during that time against Laker teams with Shaq and Kobe on them.

You also have to consider his defense.

That's why most basketball rankings from a broad variety of NBA analysts and experts typically put him easily in the top 10 and regard him most times as the best PF to play the game.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:40 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,203,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
From 1998 to 2005 Tim Duncan made 8 straight 1st team all-nba selections while carrying the Spurs to 3 championships and 3 finals MVP's during that time against Laker teams with Shaq and Kobe on them.

You also have to consider his defense.

That's why most basketball rankings from a broad variety of NBA analysts and experts typically put him easily in the top 10 and regard him most times as the best PF to play the game.
2 regular season mvps
And 6 all defensive 1st team and 2 all defense 2nd teams in that same 8 years
In that same 8 years he had a rookie of the year, SI sportsman of the year, and USA basketball male player of the year.

Just some schlub system player though, you know.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:48 PM

149 posts, read 64,020 times
Everyone is tilted to thier own opinion so let's respect it.

If we want to base it just off skill than yes you'll probably have to throw Durant and Curry in the top 10.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:38 PM

4,214 posts, read 2,838,368 times
That's a different conversation though: "top 10 ever based on talent"...

What this Quiet Storm guy is essentially doing is fusing two different ideologies to create his 10...

It would be far too difficult to rate a Top 10 based purely on talent and skill. That's why guys are judged for their work on the court. Even still, I'd have difficulty calling Steph Curry one of the 10 most talented basketball players to ever touch the NBA. And if your list is based on talent and you're being fair, it's going to be hard not to put Lebron on that list. No player in NBA history ever hit the court running as an 18-year old the way he did...

The Top 10 is based in minority on talent but primarily on accomplishments. I don't know why we're trying to redefine it...

Old 07-03-2017, 08:47 PM

11,680 posts, read 7,057,593 times
Almost everyone has Bird and Magic in the top 7 or so. I wonder where they would rank if both weren't in their primes at the same time? Would Bird have 5 titles? Would Magic have 6 titles and 5 MVPs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or