U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 12:20 PM

10,422 posts, read 12,409,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
My All-Time All-NBA Team as of 2017:

1st Team
PG- Magic Johnson
SG- Michael Jordan
SF- LeBron James
PF- Tim Duncan
C- Hakeem Olajuwon

2nd Team
PG- John Stockton
SG- Kobe Bryant
SF- Kevin Durant
PF- Larry Bird
C- Shaquille O'Neal

3rd Team
PG- Gary Payton
SG- Jerry West
SF- Scottie Pippen
PF- Kevin Garnett
C- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

4th Team
PG- Stephen Curry
SG- Dwyane Wade
PF- Charles Barkley
PF- Karl Malone
C- Wilt Chamberlain
Scottie Pippen, Gary Payton and Dwyane Wade are not Top 20 players.
Stephen Curry has the potential to end up in the top 20 but he's not there yet.

How did you left out Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor and Julius Erving?
Hakeem over Lew, Wilt and Shaq

Old 06-07-2017, 12:39 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,873,300 times
Quote:

1st Team
PG- Magic Johnson
SG- Michael Jordan
SF- LeBron James
PF- Tim Duncan
C- Hakeem Olajuwon

2nd Team
PG- John Stockton
SG- Kobe Bryant
SF- Kevin Durant
PF- Larry Bird
C- Shaquille O'Neal

3rd Team
PG- Gary Payton
SG- Jerry West
SF- Scottie Pippen
PF- Kevin Garnett
C- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

4th Team
PG- Stephen Curry
SG- Dwyane Wade
PF- Charles Barkley
PF- Karl Malone
C- Wilt Chamberlain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

How did you left out Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor and Julius Erving?
I agree that Hakeem is not above Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell, and Shaq. I would move Kareem to 1st center, Bill Russell as 2nd, then Shaq & Wilt at 3 & 4. There's definitely some recency bias in this list. It also breaks down a little in an era of positionless basketball. Are KD & Lebron eligible as PF? Garnett as a C or a SF? Kobe as a SF?

I think Kobe is too high. I don't think Gary Payton belongs. I do think Pippen and Wade have a decent argument. As does Curry: if he retired this year, I think he's the NBA equivalent of Gale Sayers--a short career that burned as bright as they come. I would replace Gary Payton with Oscar Robertson.

I think Barkley needs to get dropped off of the list. Maybe replace him with Dr. J? I would count Larry Bird as a SF, and I'd be torn between he & KD for #2, and torn between Pippen & Dr. J for #4. I would make Bob Petit the other PF, and I'm torn between He & Garnett for 2nd Team.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:59 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,122,697 times
Quote:

1st Team
PG- Magic Johnson
SG- Michael Jordan
SF- LeBron James
PF- Tim Duncan
C- Hakeem Olajuwon

2nd Team
PG- John Stockton
SG- Kobe Bryant
SF- Kevin Durant
PF- Larry Bird
C- Shaquille O'Neal

3rd Team
PG- Gary Payton
SG- Jerry West
SF- Scottie Pippen
PF- Kevin Garnett
C- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

4th Team
PG- Stephen Curry
SG- Dwyane Wade
PF- Charles Barkley
PF- Karl Malone
C- Wilt Chamberlain
Your NBA 1st team list is pretty solid except that arguments can be made for Lebron over Larry Bird and Hakeem over Kareem & Shaq.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:33 PM

149 posts, read 63,711 times
1) Micheal Jordan
2) Bill Russell
3) Wilt Chamberlain - Oscar Robertson
4) Kareem Abdul
5) Larry Bird
6) Magic Johnson
7) Tim Duncan
8) Shaquille oneal
9) Kobe Bryant
10) Lebron James

Old 06-07-2017, 01:44 PM

482 posts, read 250,922 times
Quote:

1st Team
PG- Magic Johnson
SG- Michael Jordan
SF- LeBron James
PF- Tim Duncan
C- Hakeem Olajuwon

2nd Team
PG- John Stockton
SG- Kobe Bryant
SF- Kevin Durant
PF- Larry Bird
C- Shaquille O'Neal

3rd Team
PG- Gary Payton
SG- Jerry West
SF- Scottie Pippen
PF- Kevin Garnett
C- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

4th Team
PG- Stephen Curry
SG- Dwyane Wade
PF- Charles Barkley
PF- Karl Malone
C- Wilt Chamberlain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I agree that Hakeem is not above Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell, and Shaq. I would move Kareem to 1st center, Bill Russell as 2nd, then Shaq & Wilt at 3 & 4. There's definitely some recency bias in this list. It also breaks down a little in an era of positionless basketball. Are KD & Lebron eligible as PF? Garnett as a C or a SF? Kobe as a SF?

I think Kobe is too high. I don't think Gary Payton belongs. I do think Pippen and Wade have a decent argument. As does Curry: if he retired this year, I think he's the NBA equivalent of Gale Sayers--a short career that burned as bright as they come. I would replace Gary Payton with Oscar Robertson.

I think Barkley needs to get dropped off of the list. Maybe replace him with Dr. J? I would count Larry Bird as a SF, and I'd be torn between he & KD for #2, and torn between Pippen & Dr. J for #4. I would make Bob Petit the other PF, and I'm torn between He & Garnett for 2nd Team.
Scottie Pippen and Gary Payton are so high on my list because they were absolute BEASTS on defense. I understand scoring is the objective of the game, but when you have those rare two-way players who can give you 20 ppg plus shut down anybody on the defensive end, you have to respect them. Phil Jackson called Scottie Pippen "a one-man wrecking crew" on defense and Gary Payton is often called the best two-way point guard ever.

As far as D-Wade, think about how phenomenal an all-around player he was at his peak, then try to name five other two-guards who were better than that. I sure can't, but the poor guy usually gets lowered in people's rankings because his prime was so short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
There's definitely some recency bias in this list.
I agree. I'm biased towards players I feel like I can fairly evaluate. It's hard for me to look at guys who were in their prime back in the 60s (or any time before the Magic-Bird era began in 1979), and say that the competition they played against was on the same level as after the Magic-Bird era began. So yeah, guys like Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Dr. J and Bob Petit don't make the cut. And guys like Wilt and Jerry West get demoted -- Kareem also but to a lesser extent. It's not their fault; it's just too hard to fairly compare guys from such drastically different eras.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:47 PM

8,083 posts, read 5,285,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Yeah Duncan and the Spurs was boring and they still are.

But Duncan is the greatest PF ever so that gotta hold some kinda weight.
Yeah, he is but in terms of performance and brand awareness he is not on my list. Iverson was better at the brand awareness. I remember there were a couple of years where his jersey, his hairstyle, the sleeves that he wore were being copied by young NBA fans.

All the dudes i listed below had great performances in the NBA and were also able to build NBA brand awareness.

1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. Magic
4. Larry Bird
5. Kobe Bryant
6. Lebron
7. Wilt
8. Bill Russell
9. Shaq
10. Iverson

Old 06-07-2017, 01:51 PM

11) Julius Erving
12 ) Hakeem the Dream
13 ) Jerry West
14 ) George Mikan
15 ) Elgin Baylor
16 ) Moses Malone
17 ) David Robinson
18 ) The Iceman Gervin
19 ) Karl Malone
20 ) Pistol Pete

Old 06-07-2017, 02:00 PM

Top 10 in the game today >

1) Kevin Durant - Lebron James
2) Lebron James - Kevin Durant
3) Steph Curry
4) Kwahi Leonard
5 ) Russell Westbrook
6) Anthony Davis
7) James Harden
8 ) Klay Thompson
9 ) Kyrie Irving - Isiah Thomas
10 ) Demarcus Cousins

Old 06-07-2017, 02:02 PM

929 posts, read 296,266 times
Isaiah Thomas should crack the top 20, looking at some of the other names I've seen mentioned. Hakeem Olajuwon too- I wouldn't put him Top 5, but I think some still underestimate how much better he continued to get and how high he deserves to be, culminating with the championships he won late in his career. Personally I have no problem with somebody ranking him ahead of Shaq at his position. But not Kareem, Russell, or Chamberlain- I wouldn't go as far as that.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:22 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,285,589 times
I know this came up before. I'll do the same thing now I did then. I'll separate traditional bigs from wing players. For example, I don't think its fair to compare Kareem and Jordan. They are two totally different kinds of players. I'll do five wings and five bigs.

Wings:
1. Jordan
2. Magic
3. LeBron
4. Kobe
5. Bird

Bigs:
1. Kareem
2. Wilt
3. Russell
4. Hakeem
5. Duncan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or