U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 02:31 PM

10,423 posts, read 12,416,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Isaiah Thomas should crack the top 20, looking at some of the other names I've seen mentioned. Hakeem Olajuwon too- I wouldn't put him Top 5, but I think some still underestimate how much better he continued to get and how high he deserves to be, culminating with the championships he won late in his career. Personally I have no problem with somebody ranking him ahead of Shaq at his position. But not Kareem, Russell, or Chamberlain- I wouldn't go as far as that.
I put Isiah Thomas somewhere between 16th and 20th together with Karl Malone, Kevin Garnett, Charles Barkley and Moses Malone.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:34 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,123,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I know this came up before. I'll do the same thing now I did then. I'll separate traditional bigs from wing players. For example, I don't think its fair to compare Kareem and Jordan. They are two totally different kinds of players. I'll do five wings and five bigs.

Wings:
1. Jordan
2. Magic
3. LeBron
4. Kobe
5. Bird

Bigs:
1. Kareem
2. Wilt
3. Russell
4. Hakeem
5. Duncan
Fair enough so I'll do the same but as a top 10

Wings :
1 : Jordan
2 : Magic
3 : Kobe
4 : Larry Bird
5 : Lebron James
6 : Elign Baylor
7 : Kevin Durant
8 : Scottie Pippen
9 : Tracy Mcgrady
10 : Dwayne Wade

Bigs :
1 : Bill Russell
2 : Wilt Chamberlain
3 : Kareem
4 : Shaq
5 : Duncan
6 : Hakeem
7 : Karl Malone
8 : David Robinson
9 : Kevin Garnett
10 : Patrick Ewing

Old 06-07-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCkidd View Post
Top 10 in the game today >

1) Kevin Durant - Lebron James
2) Lebron James - Kevin Durant
3) Steph Curry
4) Kwahi Leonard
5 ) Russell Westbrook
6) Anthony Davis
7) James Harden
8 ) Klay Thompson
9 ) Kyrie Irving - Isiah Thomas
10 ) Demarcus Cousins
Kyrie Irving is a lot better than Boston's Isaiah Thomas, he's also better than Klay!
Isaiah Thomas is barely top 15.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:40 PM

4,211 posts, read 2,828,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Scottie Pippen, Gary Payton and Dwyane Wade are not Top 20 players.
Stephen Curry has the potential to end up in the top 20 but he's not there yet.

How did you left out Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor and Julius Erving?
Hakeem over Lew, Wilt and Shaq
You and CityBridge are the best player evaluators in here. Repped!

CityBridge definitely has some Warrior bias (as of right now, KD is not over Bird and Curry isn't Top 20, so what's the dilemma? Lol you're forecasting, and I don't disagree with the forecast but RIGHT NOW you're rating them both too highly), but besides that he's on point!

Old 06-07-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Fair enough so I'll do the same but as a top 10

Wings :
1 : Jordan
2 : Magic
3 : Kobe
4 : Larry Bird
5 : Lebron James
6 : Elign Baylor
7 : Kevin Durant
8 : Scottie Pippen
9 : Tracy Mcgrady
10 : Dwayne Wade

Bigs :
1 : Bill Russell
2 : Wilt Chamberlain
3 : Kareem
4 : Shaq
5 : Duncan
6 : Hakeem
7 : Karl Malone
8 : David Robinson
9 : Kevin Garnett
10 : Patrick Ewing
Wings:
1.Michael Jordan
2.LeBron James
3.Larry Bird
4.Oscar Robertson
5.Kobe Bryant
6.Jerry West
7.Elgin Baylor
8.Julius Erving

Bigs:
1.Lewis Alcindor
2.Wilt Chamberlain
3.Bill Russell
4.Shaquille O'Neal
5.Tim Duncan
6.Hakeem Olajuwon
7.Karl Malone
8.Kevin Garnett

Old 06-07-2017, 04:31 PM

7,703 posts, read 4,564,490 times
You guys are killing me with Bill Russell. He had an amazing career, but he may not be one of the 50 best basketball players of all time.

People knock Wilt by saying he played against 6'7 centers. They also like to talk about how Russell was the first guy who really focused on defense. If Russell played against a bunch of small centers who didn't play defense, what stopped him from ever crashing .500 from the field. He only shot over .450 from the field in three seasons. He was a TERRIBLE offensive player. Terrible. Wilt, while on the Warriors, averaged 34/28 in head-to head matchups with Russell. Absolutely torched him.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:44 PM

227 posts, read 769,716 times
Where do you guys have Dirk? Is he top 20?

Old 06-07-2017, 04:44 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,123,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Wings:
1.Michael Jordan
2.LeBron James
3.Larry Bird
4.Oscar Robertson
5.Kobe Bryant
6.Jerry West
7.Elgin Baylor
8.Julius Erving

Bigs:
1.Lewis Alcindor
2.Wilt Chamberlain
3.Bill Russell
4.Shaquille O'Neal
5.Tim Duncan
6.Hakeem Olajuwon
7.Karl Malone
8.Kevin Garnett
Solid list man

Old 06-07-2017, 05:51 PM

4,211 posts, read 2,828,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
You guys are killing me with Bill Russell. He had an amazing career, but he may not be one of the 50 best basketball players of all time.

People knock Wilt by saying he played against 6'7 centers. They also like to talk about how Russell was the first guy who really focused on defense. If Russell played against a bunch of small centers who didn't play defense, what stopped him from ever crashing .500 from the field. He only shot over .450 from the field in three seasons. He was a TERRIBLE offensive player. Terrible. Wilt, while on the Warriors, averaged 34/28 in head-to head matchups with Russell. Absolutely torched him.
Bruh, I've been saying this. It's widely acknowledged that Wilt Chamberlain was the greatest player of that '60s-era NBA. The only reason, literally the only one, why people put Russell in there is because he was the best player on the very first NBA dynasty. And personally, I think people give a little too much credit to ring count, and Bill Russell is the example #1...

It is not hard to name 10 basketball players better than him. Out of acknowledgement for his impact and the era he played, I don't really argue with a Top 10 placement, but he's on the low end (8-10), and that shouldn't be questioned. I myself have a hard time leaving him off a Top 20 thus far, because his resume has to count for something and he was one of the most impactful players ever. But as I mentioned upthread, both he and Wilt are going to naturally continue sliding down. There's nothing they can do to move up...

45 years ago both were considered Top 4 players ever. 35 years ago they were still widely considered Top 5. 25 years ago people had to at least entertain the notion they weren't 1-2 anymore and possibly not Top 5. 15 years ago most people, as today, still angle for both having comfortable Top 10 placements--but today, it has to be entertained that they are at the Bottom of a Top 10 or possibly not in it at all...

From this era (2010s) alone, Lebron and Durant have passed many great players by. There really isn't much legitimacy to not putting Lebron in a Top 5 anymore, and he has a case to be as high as #2, as it stands right now. Pending the rest of his career, it's not out of the question he fights into #1. Durant is shooting his way into Top 10 without a doubt. I guess a case could be made for Top 15 if he wims this year, but personally I don't think one ring pushes him that high just yet--he will be Top 20 with a ring and with more accomplishments, he's well on his way to Top 10...

My point is that Russell and Wilt were once better than everybody...45-50 years ago...a whole lot has changed since then and a number of great players have put it down since then. Wilt was the best actual player if the day, damn the ring count, and I think he still has a comfortable slot in the Top 10--he ain't Top 5 anymore. Russell is behind Wilt no matter where you rank him, and his position in the Top 10 is in jeopardy, especially if Durant progresses the way we expect him to. So I agree with you...

One can never erase what those guys accomplished, but we need to contextualize for era effect and understand there are better players, a good amount, who came along after these guys...

Old 06-07-2017, 06:01 PM

12,493 posts, read 4,223,982 times
Jordan is # 1 for now
Wilt is # 2 for now

Pistol Pete Maravich belongs on this list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or