U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2017, 04:39 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,207,205 times
Reputation: 1982

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
No they are not since they were never able to repeat after winning the title.

1999 Champions and lost next season.

2003 champions and lost next season.

2005 champions and lost next season

2007 champions and lost next season.

2014 champions and lost next season


No team is considered a dynasty who couldn't three-peat. The last dynasty in the NBA was the 2000-2002 LA Lakers since they won the title three years in a row.
so much more to being a dynasty than winning 3 in a row.
the spurs are the longest running post season team in ANY sport. they have the longest 50 win streak in history. they have 5 rings in 16 year, and they had 3 in 5 years, with the 2 off years being due to extraordinary situations.

there has never been a team so dialed in as the spurs for 20 consecutive years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2017, 05:04 PM
 
3,808 posts, read 1,390,327 times
Reputation: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
so much more to being a dynasty than winning 3 in a row.
the spurs are the longest running post season team in ANY sport. they have the longest 50 win streak in history. they have 5 rings in 16 year, and they had 3 in 5 years, with the 2 off years being due to extraordinary situations.

there has never been a team so dialed in as the spurs for 20 consecutive years.
I agree with you the spurs are one of the best teams from 2000 to 2009 era but not necessarily a dynasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2017, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,201 posts, read 10,436,423 times
Reputation: 11220
Theyre not a dynasty by textbook definition, but it's tough to not think of the Spurs in dynasty terms with one of the greatest runs of success in NBA history.
They're the basketball version of the Patriots (albeit more likeable).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2017, 05:59 PM
 
3,808 posts, read 1,390,327 times
Reputation: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Theyre not a dynasty by textbook definition, but it's tough to not think of the Spurs in dynasty terms with one of the greatest runs of success in NBA history.
They're the basketball version of the Patriots (albeit more likeable).
The Pats were able to repeat though so I don't think you can compare them to the spurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2017, 05:55 PM
 
149 posts, read 64,123 times
Reputation: 84
I believe many look at the Warriors winning in 2016 had Draymond not get suspended in 5 last year.Than again we don't know what happens if Kyrie and Love don't get injured in 2015. Kwahi doesn't get hurt this year. Injuries are something we all have to deal with but i still take my hat off to the Warriors for winning 73 games and damn near sweeping the playoffs in this postseason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2017, 05:57 PM
 
3,808 posts, read 1,390,327 times
Reputation: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCkidd View Post
I believe many look at the Warriors winning in 2016 had Draymond not get suspended in 5 last year.Than again we don't know what happens if Kyrie and Love don't get injured in 2015. Kwahi doesn't get hurt this year. Injuries are something we all have to deal with but i still take my hat off to the Warriors for winning 73 games and damn near sweeping the playoffs in this postseason.

Well now they have to start over again to create a dynasty which will mean a title in 2018 and 2019.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2017, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,214 posts, read 2,843,955 times
Reputation: 4511
The 2000s Spurs were the last NBA dynasty. They won three chips in 5 years from 2003-2007; that's dynastic. They also appeared in the WCF in 2001 and 2008, so this means they were a West finalist for half the decade--five out of ten years. True, they never went back to back, but only the Lakers won more titles in that decade. The 2000s Spurs were the last NBA dynasty...

The Kobe/Shaq Lakers before them were also a dynasty, and a greater one...

The Warriors are on the cusp of being the next dynasty, but 2/3 isn't a dynasty. The 2011-13 Heat also won 2/3 (finished 2/4) and so did the 2008-10 Lakers (finished 2/3). As it stands now, while the Warriors have had the greatest 3-year regular season run in NBA history, the thing that separates great teams from being true dynasties is the accumulation of multiple championships in short order, or many championships over an extended time. Two outta three has never made anybody a dynasty...

When it comes to the ring count, the 2015-17 Warriors haven't done anything the 2011-13 Heat and 2008-10 Lakers haven't done...and both those teams went back to back...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2017, 08:31 PM
 
3,808 posts, read 1,390,327 times
Reputation: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The 2000s Spurs were the last NBA dynasty. They won three chips in 5 years from 2003-2007; that's dynastic. They also appeared in the WCF in 2001 and 2008, so this means they were a West finalist for half the decade--five out of ten years. True, they never went back to back, but only the Lakers won more titles in that decade. The 2000s Spurs were the last NBA dynasty...

The Kobe/Shaq Lakers before them were also a dynasty, and a greater one...

The Warriors are on the cusp of being the next dynasty, but 2/3 isn't a dynasty. The 2011-13 Heat also won 2/3 (finished 2/4) and so did the 2008-10 Lakers (finished 2/3). As it stands now, while the Warriors have had the greatest 3-year regular season run in NBA history, the thing that separates great teams from being true dynasties is the accumulation of multiple championships in short order, or many championships over an extended time. Two outta three has never made anybody a dynasty...

When it comes to the ring count, the 2015-17 Warriors haven't done anything the 2011-13 Heat and 2008-10 Lakers haven't done...and both those teams went back to back...

I believe that is inaccurate because the spurs won 3 chips from 2003 to 2007. Since they didn't win back to back or three in a row that is not considered a dynasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2017, 08:33 PM
 
3,808 posts, read 1,390,327 times
Reputation: 1608
It pains me to admit this but if the Warriors win the title next season then they will be considered a dynasty since that would be three titles in four years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2017, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,214 posts, read 2,843,955 times
Reputation: 4511
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I believe that is inaccurate because the spurs won 3 chips from 2003 to 2007. Since they didn't win back to back or three in a row that is not considered a dynasty.
What is innacurate about it? You just repeated what I said...and where is it written that a dynasty has to be a 3peat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top