U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2017, 11:30 AM
 
4,445 posts, read 3,528,478 times
Reputation: 5304

Advertisements

If there were a team that were more willing to stick together, this team would be it.

They seem to enjoy being on the team (winning helps). No locker room drama or egos.

The biggest flag is Draymond Green but sounds like all his team mates like his antics.

I don't see anyone jumping ship soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2017, 11:35 AM
 
8,083 posts, read 5,293,582 times
Reputation: 9241
A lot of player's contract are up this upcoming season. 17 to be exact.

Curry will want a MAX contract. I would imagine that GS will offer Curry a 5 year contract worth 120 to 150 Million. You also have to keep in mind KD's contract is up in 2019. Unless, Curry and KD take paycuts i don't see this team staying together for that long.

Golden State Warriors Salaries | HoopsHype

Last edited by Mr. Ryu; 06-14-2017 at 11:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2017, 12:02 PM
 
2,837 posts, read 1,776,861 times
Reputation: 1243
As a fan of an opposing team, You build around the offensive talents of KD and Curry. You can't scheme or cover the two together one creates for the other and neither needs much creation to get it going. If you lose one- I don't think you can rely on Klay or Draymond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2017, 12:11 PM
 
8,083 posts, read 5,293,582 times
Reputation: 9241
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
As a fan of an opposing team, You build around the offensive talents of KD and Curry. You can't scheme or cover the two together one creates for the other and neither needs much creation to get it going. If you lose one- I don't think you can rely on Klay or Draymond.
Unless KD and Curry realize this which i believe they did during this Finals then maybe they agree to take a pay-cut so both are teammates for 3 to 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2017, 01:35 PM
 
2,837 posts, read 1,776,861 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Unless KD and Curry realize this which i believe they did during this Finals then maybe they agree to take a pay-cut so both are teammates for 3 to 5 years.
Curry gives KD space.


All these posters want to knock the Cavs defense, but it hard to cover Curry at 30-35 feet out. You clear room for KD in this scenario. When you trap and take the ball out of Curry's hands you are either singling or god for bid leaving KD open.


To me its very easy situation in Oakland


You pay Curry and Durant- you add supplemental pieces when the time comes when your other max or close to max guys want paid- those guys walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2017, 02:13 PM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,875,228 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Curry gives KD space.

All these posters want to knock the Cavs defense, but it hard to cover Curry at 30-35 feet out. You clear room for KD in this scenario. When you trap and take the ball out of Curry's hands you are either singling or god for bid leaving KD open.

To me its very easy situation in Oakland

You pay Curry and Durant- you add supplemental pieces when the time comes when your other max or close to max guys want paid- those guys walk.
The Warriors aren't going to have to make hard choices for a while. Their core 4 will have a similar cost to the Cavs' Big 3 + Tristan Thompson next year. They may or may not be able to keep Livingston and Iguodala for another year or two. They will welcome back rookie scale contracts McCaw, Damian Jones, and Kevon Looney. McCaw is already a rotation player, and they will hope that one of the rookie bigs develops enough to get minutes. Maybe D West sticks around for another year at the vet minimum. Zaza & McGee are probably leaving for payday elsewhere. I suspect the Warriors will find some bigs chasing rings, or will pick up a scrap heap big who can rebound & screen. That's all they need. They will probably need to replace Ian Clark. McCaw is capable of taking on most of Clark's responsibility. We have to go out to 2019-20 before things may get tough in terms of salary cap. It's pretty tough to project the cap that far out, though. Especially if revenue continues to surge behind the greatness in the League these days.

The Spurs this year were the only team with the wing defense to make it tough on the Warriors offense. I think they're going to lose Simmons, who was helpful in that regard. And who knows whether they can keep Patty Mills. The Cavs were not close to having the defense for this team. They need to retool for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2017, 02:51 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,196,988 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
The Warriors aren't going to have to make hard choices for a while. Their core 4 will have a similar cost to the Cavs' Big 3 + Tristan Thompson next year. They may or may not be able to keep Livingston and Iguodala for another year or two. They will welcome back rookie scale contracts McCaw, Damian Jones, and Kevon Looney. McCaw is already a rotation player, and they will hope that one of the rookie bigs develops enough to get minutes. Maybe D West sticks around for another year at the vet minimum. Zaza & McGee are probably leaving for payday elsewhere. I suspect the Warriors will find some bigs chasing rings, or will pick up a scrap heap big who can rebound & screen. That's all they need. They will probably need to replace Ian Clark. McCaw is capable of taking on most of Clark's responsibility. We have to go out to 2019-20 before things may get tough in terms of salary cap. It's pretty tough to project the cap that far out, though. Especially if revenue continues to surge behind the greatness in the League these days.

The Spurs this year were the only team with the wing defense to make it tough on the Warriors offense. I think they're going to lose Simmons, who was helpful in that regard. And who knows whether they can keep Patty Mills. The Cavs were not close to having the defense for this team. They need to retool for it.
i mostly agree.
tough i dont think AI or livingston come back. their cap holds are going to hurt too. 16.7 ai, 11 for livingston.
curry is likely going to get 205mil over 5 years. thats 41 mil per year.
calling curry 41, and including everyone already guaranteed, also expecting durant ot opt in on his 27.7 that puts the warriors at 110mil (about 7 mil over the expected cap) and 8 players.
theyll will be working with vet minimums right off the bat.
there is talk they are trying to trade mccaw for a draft pick. clearly a salary dump, though not a big one.
when they sign curry, and then resign durant they will have their big 4 locked up for the next 2 seasons regardless of cap and other players.

Golden State Warriors Team Salary | Basketball Insiders | NBA Rumors And Basketball News


i dont know about simmons. hes restricted, and the spurs COULD match, depending on the timing and the status of other free agents.
mills is all but gone. hes going to demand too much money IMO. hes also likely to get past up in the rotation by murrey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2017, 03:33 PM
 
4,445 posts, read 3,528,478 times
Reputation: 5304
Honestly I don't think it's going to be that hard to keep the core four together (KD, Curry, Klay, and Draymond). KD is talking about taking a discount (and I believe him). Curry will get max contract and I believe Klay and Draymond are signed for a few more years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2017, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,211 posts, read 2,830,037 times
Reputation: 4497
Let's pump the brakes on the dynasty talk just yet...

While the Warriors have had the greatest 3-year run in NBA history, they've neither 3-peated or gone back-to-back. Do I think it's within the realm of possibility that they get there? Sure, but as of right now, when has winning 2/3 made anyone a dynasty? And the year in this run that they lost, was the biggest team choke job in NBA history...

The 2011-2013 Miami Heat won 2/3 (ended up 2/4). The 2008-10 Los Angeles Lakers went 2/3 (ended up 2/3). Neither of those teams are considered dynasties. The 2009 Lakers and 2013 Heat are considered Top 15 All-Time teams. Neither of the other squads ('08/'10 Lakers; '11/'12/'14 Heat) are considered Top 40 teams, but those franchises did the same exact thing this Warriors team has done so far--won 2/3, so there is an opposing argument to be made that this Warriors team has underachieved...

So let me ask everyone a question: if this Warriors team never wins another championship this era (there are two years remaining in the 2010s decade), if two championships is the extent of their run, are we going to retroactively view this as a dynasty? I don't think it's likely that they won't win another one in the next two years, but it's definitely possible, at least as possible as losing a 3-1 Finals lead in a 73-win season that none of us predicted would happen either...

At this point, the Warriors are tied with the Heat for most championships in the 2010s. Odds are, they win at least one more, but they aren't even the undisputed champions of this era yet...

They win 3 in 4, or 3 in 5 like the '00s Spurs, I'll agree they are a dynasty. But two championships has never made anybody a dynasty...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2017, 05:22 PM
JL
 
7,351 posts, read 11,883,509 times
Reputation: 7198
If Lebron and CP3 both take veterans minimum(fat chance) to join the Spurs, then the Spurs would be favorites, but Lebron isn't a free agent this summer( in 2018 he can opt out)...so there ends that chance...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top