Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 10:04 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,950,401 times

Advertisements

Per the LA Times, supposedly Steve Balmer wants to move the Clippers from the Staples Center to a parcel in Inglewood across from the new Rams Stadium. The complaint is they have the 3rd pick of dates at Staples after the Lakers and Kings. I like the Clips, but probably wouldn't drive all the way out to Inglewood to watch. The only people this would be more convenient for is people in South LA and the South Bay. For everyone else, it's much easier to go Downtown.

What about you, would you drive out to Inglewood to watch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 07:49 AM

12,296 posts, read 8,010,973 times
The best move UCLA football every made was to move out of SC's home stadium. Even if the Clippers have had the better recent history Staples Center remains Shaq's and Kobe's house. If he wants to build a new home to replace the Forum where 30 years of Angelenos managed to find an easy way to travel to then good for him.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:44 PM

14,640 posts, read 14,521,862 times
I'm surprised they don't move down to Orange County, given the success of the other Anaheim teams.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:13 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,240,417 times
I lived in Westchester when I was a kid, only a couple miles from inglewood proper. I'd become a bigger fan of the team in my neighborhood, than the team that played downtown.

That's pretty awkward of the Clippers to relocate to hallowed ground, where the Lakers won 5 rings. There are street signs and other reminders of the 80s Lakers playing in Inglewood.
To be fair, they just spent nearly 2 decades at Staples Center doing the same thing. Ideally the Clippers would find another city, or another state, but I understand how important the LA market is.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:58 AM

12,296 posts, read 8,010,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'm surprised they don't move down to Orange County, given the success of the other Anaheim teams.
Well since the Bay Area franchise owns the state name we would get into the Los Angeles of Anaheim nonsense for the T-shirt market. I still don't understand how Sacramento has a franchise, maybe a name flip is due. Golden State Kings and San Francisco-Oakland or Bay Area Warriors.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:02 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,845,644 times
It's definitely smart to get away from the Lakers but dunno about Inglewood. Even paying for it himself I wonder how it'll ever work. If he were smart Balmer would be the hero and move to Seattle/Bellevue. But as absolutely everyone knows, he ain't very smart.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:31 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,576,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
That's pretty awkward of the Clippers to relocate to hallowed ground, where the Lakers won 5 rings.
This is the first thing I thought. The Lakers put Inglewood on the map. As a kid in the 80's when you said Inglewood, CA everyone knew that was where the Lakers played. I was at the Forum recently for a concert. Just going back there gave me nostalgia. Heck, the street across from the Forum is named Kareem's Court.

I know the Clippers are trying to carve out their niche. But the Lakers stamp on Los Angeles is just too big. They would be much better off just moving to Orange County.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:33 PM

2,621 posts, read 4,021,494 times
How about sending the Clippers back to San Diego?

(I know, it's not happening.)

Old 06-17-2017, 11:08 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,240,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
How about sending the Clippers back to San Diego?

(I know, it's not happening.)
San Diego already spent half a century hosting a team that can't win. How about Seattle?

Old 06-19-2017, 02:35 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,141,544 times
Moving to Seattle would be a dumb move. Even as the 2nd fiddle in LA, the Clippers are still far more valuable and profitable than a team in Seattle ever could be. If he moves the franchise there they will instantly lose value. Getting the Clippers their own arena in Inglewood is a great move. That area is going to be completely transformed and they will be closer to the wealthy westside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball