Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 05:26 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,291,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swayalot View Post
I hope they get rid of the 3-point-line.
All field goals should be 2-pointers, and then we will see higher quality execution and more mid-range/post-up play.

There is something beautiful about seeing a great shooter like a Curry or Ray Allen put up a long range jumper. Eliminating the 3 pt line would all but eliminate these beautiful shots.

I wouldn't mind making the 3 pt. line a 2.5 pt. line, so that mediocre shooters would be less inclined to jack up shots from distance. Currently 33% in 3 point shooting is equivalent to 50% in 2 point shooting. With a 2.5 point shot, 40% shooting would be equivalent to 50% 2 pt. shooting, and that would separate the men from the boys, so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 10:44 AM

10,576 posts, read 4,220,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
There is something beautiful about seeing a great shooter like a Curry or Ray Allen put up a long range jumper. Eliminating the 3 pt line would all but eliminate these beautiful shots.

I wouldn't mind making the 3 pt. line a 2.5 pt. line, so that mediocre shooters would be less inclined to jack up shots from distance. Currently 33% in 3 point shooting is equivalent to 50% in 2 point shooting. With a 2.5 point shot, 40% shooting would be equivalent to 50% 2 pt. shooting, and that would separate the men from the boys, so to speak.
I've been shooting 3s all my life.
I never thought of it as beautiful.
It doesn't even require a brain.
Whereas post-up moves and footwork requires a thought process.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:53 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,857,911 times
Quote:
I think both take a huge amount of talent to do at an elite level. A good post player also needs freaky height though so someone like Hakeem is probably 1 in 5 billion.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:20 PM

12,299 posts, read 8,019,111 times
Quote:
And yet some do see the beauty, during All Star Week the 3 point contest might be drawing more than the slam dunk contest. Meadowlark Lemon and other Globetrotters taking half court shots has long been a staple of their show. Translated to the NBA it would also be seen as entertainment but because of the risk with no greater reward it is not taken, even if it is also not defended against except in the last seconds of quarter

Old 06-22-2017, 10:08 AM

10,576 posts, read 4,220,034 times
Well I made 4 consecutive shots from the halfcourt line, and I'm nowhere near NBA level, so its not even a professional skill.
And there is no risk involved, because people presume you'll miss from halfcourt, whether you are pro or not.
In fact pros miss wide-open regular threes, and nobody is surprised, because we see guys like Curry and Ray Allen have games where they miss most of their three-point-attempts.....so it almost means nothing when you miss, since even those guys miss.
Whereas when you are doing an isolation move and you are trying to show-up the guy defending you, there is real pressure because he may stop you and make you look bad, or you may cross him over or score in his face or stop on a dime and make him look clumsy etc.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:45 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,295,142 times
Cause cats would be pulling up for 4 all day. Curry Durant all the shooters and they probably would make em.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:13 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,714,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I think this would make things more exciting, especially with players like Steph Curry and Damian Lillard supporting it.

I do know Reggie Miller is against it, he said "it would the game a laughing stock".

I agree with Reggie that it's a bad idea because it would turn every NBA game into a All star game with players launching 4 pointers over and over.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:26 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,857,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I agree with Reggie that it's a bad idea because it would turn every NBA game into a All star game with players launching 4 pointers over and over.
For purist, hasnt the 3 point line already done that? Pretty soon teams are going to be launching 40 3s per game. Just 20 years ago they put up what 8 attempts per game? If players feel they can shoot from ~27 feet...why not reward that?

Old 06-25-2017, 05:29 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,714,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
For purist, hasnt the 3 point line already done that? Pretty soon teams are going to be launching 40 3s per game. Just 20 years ago they put up what 8 attempts per game? If players feel they can shoot from ~27 feet...why not reward that?

Because it would feel like I am watching a game in the playground without any structure.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:16 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,846,932 times
Yeah, it's just not fun to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball