Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:23 AM

4,321 posts, read 5,111,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
LOL....been hearing that one for a long time now.

Lakers are just going to magically acquire 3 big time players some year in free agency and be immediately back in the hunt.

Come on, tell me a more realistic story than that....one with unicorns and magic carpets maybe.
Not in one year but in two it's possible. Playing under Magic Johnson and in LA are gonna be attractive things to most NBA players. And maybe Lebron wants to try the Western Conference, a new challenge. The distraction of the Clippers (close to contenders in recent years) may be over as they could find themselves rebuilding already. So the Lakers become the clear 1st choice in LA again.

I'm foolishly hoping Paul George is considering Washington though, lots of us thought we had a chance at Durant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 09:25 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,672,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
How is that core any better than what Cleveland has now?

If LA is smart- they don't give up picks and Randle for a guy that wants to go there next year when Lebron is up for free agency as well. Lebron can pick the guys he wants in 18 from a rich class of FreeAgents (which he will).

I agree that I don't think it really is better than Cleveland's current core but there is definitely smoke here, so I truly think Lebron is either seriously considering it or has quietly told George and/or the Lakers that he intends to come after this upcoming season. That is the only logical reason as to why the Lakers are willing to trade away young assets (DeAngelo Russell) to free up money (ie dumping Mosgov's contract for Brook Lopez's expiring deal). Lebron has a house in LA and it has been stated in the media that Lebron wants to get into ownership and it sounds like the Lakers would have no problem allowing that to happen in the future as a way to entice Lebron to move out West.

The Lakers are trading legit talent to free up money for 2018 and I can't imagine them doing that unless they felt that there was a good shot that this is truly happening. They will have a lot of money available to spend, particularly if they can find a way to trade Deng or if they allow Lopez to leave via free agency.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:40 AM

3,385 posts, read 2,776,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
I agree that I don't think it really is better than Cleveland's current core but there is definitely smoke here, so I truly think Lebron is either seriously considering it or has quietly told George and/or the Lakers that he intends to come after this upcoming season. That is the only logical reason as to why the Lakers are willing to trade away young assets (DeAngelo Russell) to free up money (ie dumping Mosgov's contract for Brook Lopez's expiring deal). Lebron has a house in LA and it has been stated in the media that Lebron wants to get into ownership and it sounds like the Lakers would have no problem allowing that to happen in the future as a way to entice Lebron to move out West.

The Lakers are trading legit talent to free up money for 2018 and I can't imagine them doing that unless they felt that there was a good shot that this is truly happening. They will have a lot of money available to spend, particularly if they can find a way to trade Deng or if they allow Lopez to leave via free agency.
I can buy Lebron wanting to play in LA - I think Lebron is thinking post career (producing/acting) however I don't buy Lebron wanting to play with Paul George. Don't get me wrong I think Paul George is very good player but I could name 5-10 better options that are probably just as realistic and one guy (Irving) he currently teams up with.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:05 PM

14,640 posts, read 14,523,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Not in one year but in two it's possible. Playing under Magic Johnson and in LA are gonna be attractive things to most NBA players. And maybe Lebron wants to try the Western Conference, a new challenge. The distraction of the Clippers (close to contenders in recent years) may be over as they could find themselves rebuilding already. So the Lakers become the clear 1st choice in LA again.
Dispatching Lebron in the Western playoffs rather than the Finals is a Warriors' fan dream come true
Assuming the Spurs don't beat them to it.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:30 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,600,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Which do you think more likely to happen? Better for Lakers or Cavs? He says he wants to play for Lakers but Cavs would be a better chance for championship for him.
If I am the Lakers, I wouldn't trade for George unless I get him on the very cheap!! Why should the Lakers give up some young assets or drafts picks when you can sign him next year as a free agent and get him for nothing.

His desire to play at home may even override playing in Cleveland for a "chance" at a ring which they wont win because Golden State will still be better.

Plus I am pretty certain Lebron will be a free agent after next year and he too may go to LA. His wife and mother love the LA lifestyle and very much want to live in LA full time.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:02 AM

77,798 posts, read 59,963,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Playing under Magic Johnson and in LA are gonna be attractive things to most NBA players. And maybe Lebron wants to try the Western Conference, a new challenge. The distraction of the Clippers (close to contenders in recent years) may be over as they could find themselves rebuilding already. So the Lakers become the clear 1st choice in LA again.
Can't we just dust off some of the threads from 3+ years or so ago about how LA is soooo attractive that all the free agents want to go there and Lebron will go there and so on and so forth?

Been hearing that song and dance for years.

But hey, you managed to lock up over 100million in contract money on Deng and Mozgov last year...those are some fine blue chip talents eating up cap space....oh wait, you just traded Moz and had to give up young talent to do it.

Sorry, nobody but Laker fans are buying the "But we're the Lakers everyone wants to come here" story. It's a delusion.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:10 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,489,363 times
Quote:
Can't we just dust off some of the threads from 3+ years or so ago about how LA is soooo attractive that all the free agents want to go there and Lebron will go there and so on and so forth?

But hey, you managed to lock up over 100million in contract money on Deng and Mozgov last year...those are some fine blue chip talents eating up cap space....oh wait, you just traded Moz and had to give up young talent to do it.

Sorry, nobody but Laker fans are buying the "But we're the Lakers everyone wants to come here" story. It's a delusion.
How is it a delusion? Paul George said that he wants to play for the Lakers.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:23 PM

3,385 posts, read 2,776,864 times
Quote:

Yeah the delusion is fading. They are no longer completely incompetent and guys like Paul George aren't saying "Send me to Utah". I know Paul George is from there. He could also pick the Clips or go west in general.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:31 PM

4,321 posts, read 5,111,299 times
Quote:

Not sure why you think I'm a Laker fan, my location is Wash DC and I'm pretty open about being a Wizards fan.

But times change man, Magic Johnson is a fresh draw, the Clippers are fading and the Lakers have been working on flexibility to do things. Even trading Russell was a good move, just wasn't looking like a guard you can build on.

And remember how bad and hopeless the Celtics were for many years. They ended up attracting KG and Ray Allen and voila, a championship team... didn't take very long.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:55 PM

77,798 posts, read 59,963,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
How is it a delusion? Paul George said that he wants to play for the Lakers.
My delusional comments were directed not at a single player like PG but at the mention of Lebron and others also piling on to make a Laker super team 2 years from now.

Also, it's trade and free-agent time...lots of things get said for leverage and other purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball