U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 05:10 AM

3,887 posts, read 1,417,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
What do you guys want for 7M a year???

He needs shadowed at all times; He shots the 3 ball well. He's got an important role in the MBA nowadays and he can do it well.

Granted, He's not a great defender but can play smart basketball on that end.

Otto Porter just got a max deal and Paul Milsap is making 30 a year
Korver was brought to the Cavs to help LeBron and missed a wide open three pointer that would have sealed game 3. So why he is brought back when he was unable to deliver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 05:47 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,224,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS View Post
They got their hands tied becuase they are way over the luxury tax. Besides, Lebron is the one running the team and he is trying to stay away from the blame game if something goes wrong. They just fired their GM.
Lebron is the reason billups turned down the GM job

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Korver was brought to the Cavs to help LeBron and missed a wide open three pointer that would have sealed game 3. So why he is brought back when he was unable to deliver?
Players miss shots. You can't judge a guys worth on a single missed shot, that's ridiculous. I mean let's blame the coach for the missed shot, or Lebron himself for not taking the last shot... it's just dumb to think that way.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:59 AM

3,887 posts, read 1,417,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Lebron is the reason billups turned down the GM job

Players miss shots. You can't judge a guys worth on a single missed shot, that's ridiculous. I mean let's blame the coach for the missed shot, or Lebron himself for not taking the last shot... it's just dumb to think that way.
If a player like korver is already limited then what good is he if he misses open jump shots?

Old 07-05-2017, 07:40 AM

4,493 posts, read 3,175,041 times
Quote:
If a player like korver is already limited then what good is he if he misses open jump shots?

You're missing the point here. He's still a valuable asset off the bench. Where they made a colossal error is with Deron Williams. Not only did he play his worst basketball ever for himself in the Finals, but no team wants his corpse after that performance. I bet what the Cavs are betting on for next season is a little more spot up shooting improvement from Korver and D. Will can pull a little bit from the "D Wade Father time bag" and get some of his game back. I mean D. Will was just absolutely awful, making only one basket during the entire NBA Finals. He and Shump need to find their shot badly. If Shump can develop a shot that nets him 8-10 points a game, and D Will can contribute 6-8 points, than this Cavs team has some serious upside. Shump and D. Will have to step up. No excuses!

Old 07-05-2017, 08:06 AM

2,848 posts, read 1,793,308 times
Quote:
So he missed a shot- albeit a huge shot- but again 7M for a guy that statistically puts the ball in the basket from the 3 point line as good as anyone (and is followed around the perimeter endlessly opening up for others) in this day in age in the NBA where that skill is emphasized heavily.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:14 AM

2,848 posts, read 1,793,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
You're missing the point here. He's still a valuable asset off the bench. Where they made a colossal error is with Deron Williams. Not only did he play his worst basketball ever for himself in the Finals, but no team wants his corpse after that performance. I bet what the Cavs are betting on for next season is a little more spot up shooting improvement from Korver and D. Will can pull a little bit from the "D Wade Father time bag" and get some of his game back. I mean D. Will was just absolutely awful, making only one basket during the entire NBA Finals. He and Shump need to find their shot badly. If Shump can develop a shot that nets him 8-10 points a game, and D Will can contribute 6-8 points, than this Cavs team has some serious upside. Shump and D. Will have to step up. No excuses!
Having watched a great deal of Cavs basketball over the years. Shump had a little something on offense when he first arrived in Cleveland- his confidence is shaken on that end. I think he can perform better, part of the problem is his game is one of balance taking guys off the dribble and shooting the occasional jump shot, but for some reason he plays like Korver and JR.

I expect JR to have better season injury and personal issues removed.

I'd like to see the other D. Will brought back (Derrick Williams). As far as Deron is concerned, I think he's toast and if he wants any part of his game back which I doubt will come back he needs to get in better shape.

Cavs have a guy named Cedi Osman playing internationally now, he's young has good upside I would deal him now for either a rim protector or an athletic wing that defends well.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:41 AM

3,017 posts, read 1,883,543 times
Wolves need to keep Shabazz. That dude is built to win 6th man of the year awards.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:44 AM
Status: "Warrior fan no matter the roster" (set 9 days ago)

12,226 posts, read 10,471,782 times
Quote:
That's the problem with the Cavs though, too many guys who need to score better but aren't. Shumpert (never an offensive threat), Deron Williams (the new Josh Smith), Tristan Thompson (an overpaid rebounder), etc. Korver has the best potential to get his shot back, but with the combination of the others it spells bad news. They shouldve cut those guys loose and looked elsewhere for bench help rather than hoping 3-4 guys will magically turn it around under the same circumstances.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:24 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,886,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Having watched a great deal of Cavs basketball over the years. Shump had a little something on offense when he first arrived in Cleveland- his confidence is shaken on that end. I think he can perform better, part of the problem is his game is one of balance taking guys off the dribble and shooting the occasional jump shot, but for some reason he plays like Korver and JR.

I expect JR to have better season injury and personal issues removed.

I'd like to see the other D. Will brought back (Derrick Williams). As far as Deron is concerned, I think he's toast and if he wants any part of his game back which I doubt will come back he needs to get in better shape.

Cavs have a guy named Cedi Osman playing internationally now, he's young has good upside I would deal him now for either a rim protector or an athletic wing that defends well.
Shump is on the roster to deliver defense. Anything he contributes offensively is gravy. JR Smith is not a reliable basketball player. Deron Williams is long gone. Maybe Calderon can do a better job of getting LBJ some rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
That's the problem with the Cavs though, too many guys who need to score better but aren't. Shumpert (never an offensive threat), Deron Williams (the new Josh Smith), Tristan Thompson (an overpaid rebounder), etc. Korver has the best potential to get his shot back, but with the combination of the others it spells bad news. They shouldve cut those guys loose and looked elsewhere for bench help rather than hoping 3-4 guys will magically turn it around under the same circumstances.
TT, like Shump, doesn't need to score. The Cavs have no money to spend unless they move someone. Their role players aren't going to bring back much quality.

Quote:
PG13 and Butler left the table of availability early. There were no other moves to make and it's best for them to sit back and run back the squad they have. They still have the trade deadline in February as well. They will have similar competition from this past season, next season, so why make big moves now?
The Cavs need to improve defensively. Their strategy is to get one year older and hope. That's moving backwards in the NBA right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
So basically the Cavs are hoping Golden State doesn't make the finals or they make it with key players injured?

Bravo for the Celtics trying to make the east at least a little interesting. Heyward, Tatum, Thomas, Smart, Bradley, Horford, Brown, Rozier, etc - should be able to make it a fight now.
The Celtics should be better. They probably can't count on Taytum for much this year, but Hayward & some seasoning for the young players should help them really improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Gordon Hayward to the Celtics reuniting with Stevens.

He'll give them some scoring and toughness inside and outside.
Scoring? Absolutely. Toughness? Nope. Hayward is a talented player. He can score, handle the ball, and initiate offense. He has the size to be a plus defender (though he hasn't put that together with effort & IQ yet). He is not "tough" as NBA players go.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:07 AM

4,493 posts, read 3,175,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I don't think they could afford anyone on the market. Maybe Patrick Patterson, but that's it. They weren't getting anything back from Williams, Shump, and Korver. Korver is clearly the best piece, but he's aged. Shump is great defensively, but his shot is worse than spotty. The corpse formerly known as D Will is just embarrassing. Everyone talks about these grandiose ideas for the Cavs, but outside of PG13, this team was going to have a lot of trouble making moves. The PG13 move would have likely sent Shump and D Will to Indy or been involved in a multi-team trade. With PG13 off the books, there just wasn't many moves the Cavs could make. Try to stagger your starters minutes and HOPE for production from your bench is the only option. Their hands were tied this offseason. I wouldn't be surprised if the butt kicking the Cavs took in the first 2 games showed Lebron the clear ceiling this team has reached. You can't trade or move players who just flat out didn't perform in the Finals. Every team has that problem, but we were all expecting a bit of a rejuvenation from D Will and he disappeared worse than Harden during the 2012 Finals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball