U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-05-2017, 02:51 PM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,873,763 times
Reputation: 2263

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
But it is about hitting shots too. You are still not accepting that there is a mental aspect to toughness. We have to agree to disagree.
I don't accept that hitting shots has anything to do with toughness. I do think there is a mental aspect to toughness, but it is much more about effort and playing with an expectation of contact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2017, 08:08 PM
 
51,888 posts, read 41,774,553 times
Reputation: 32370
Robert Horry had one of the worst shooting performances in the history of the WCF and then went on to leave LA and join SA the next year where he returned to form.

*shrug*

I wouldn't write Korver off for one bad series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2017, 08:41 PM
 
3,765 posts, read 1,370,121 times
Reputation: 1584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Robert Horry had one of the worst shooting performances in the history of the WCF and then went on to leave LA and join SA the next year where he returned to form.

*shrug*

I wouldn't write Korver off for one bad series.

Horry was like 33 at that time and was able to do more than shoot jump shots. Korver is one-dimensional on the offense end of the floor and will be 37 next season with a inconsistent jump shot. Plus he was a big part of the Lakers championship in 2001 so he cannot be compared to Korver. Korver has been bounced all around the league due to his inconsistency and his inability to score when he is being defended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2017, 11:09 PM
 
17,254 posts, read 10,183,539 times
Reputation: 28770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
We'd have to define the term toughness. Hayward has been the go-to scorer on an otherwise offensively challenged Jazz team (so he gets extra attention) and has delivered points and efficiency. I'd call that toughness, maybe the most important kind.

He's also been part of one of the best ranked defensive teams. Sure Rudy Gobert deserves the most credit but Hayward is less yielding than an awful lot of wings out there.

He's very consistent too, another type of toughness. Players who only play well 1 out of 3 or 4 games aren't mentally tough in my book.

But no, Hayward is not going to use hard fouls or trash talk much.
Exactly.

He gave Golden State fits with his scoring and penetrating ability to make his own shots. That IS toughness.

Looks like some people's definition of toughness is one dimensional, kinda like a Laimbeer enforcer type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2017, 10:04 AM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,873,763 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Exactly.

He gave Golden State fits with his scoring and penetrating ability to make his own shots. That IS toughness.

Looks like some people's definition of toughness is one dimensional, kinda like a Laimbeer enforcer type.
Umm . . . did you watch Round 2? Because no one on the Jazz gave the Warriors fits. He had one really good game, one okay game, and two awful ones. He's not a tough player by NBA standards. He does not play good defense. You don't see him setting screens or boxing out. He frequently settled for midrange jumpshots against good defenders.

What could possibly make someone think that Gordon Hayward is a tough NBA player? He's a good player, but not a tough one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2017, 12:34 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,194,022 times
Reputation: 1982
dirk for 5 mil per year.
thats a pretty sweetheart deal for the mavs

www.basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/246782/Dirk-Nowitzki-Finalizing-Two-Year-$10M-Deal-With-Mavericks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2017, 02:01 PM
 
Location: So California
8,545 posts, read 8,872,905 times
Reputation: 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
dirk for 5 mil per year.
thats a pretty sweetheart deal for the mavs

www.basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/246782/Dirk-Nowitzki-Finalizing-Two-Year-$10M-Deal-With-Mavericks


One of the ultimate team players in NBA history
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2017, 02:37 PM
 
4,490 posts, read 3,154,072 times
Reputation: 4293
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
One of the ultimate team players in NBA history

It helps that he finally got a ring and at the end of his prime. The guy is flat out loved in Dallas. It also helps that for most of his career, he's played on a playoff ready team. Barring them getting bounced by the "We Believe" Warriors and D Wade single-handedly destroying them in 2007, he had a good squad around him to finally win a chip in 2011. Then Cuban, Cuban'd, and the team has been treading water since, but at least Dirk got his chip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2017, 05:33 PM
 
3,765 posts, read 1,370,121 times
Reputation: 1584
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
It helps that he finally got a ring and at the end of his prime. The guy is flat out loved in Dallas. It also helps that for most of his career, he's played on a playoff ready team. Barring them getting bounced by the "We Believe" Warriors and D Wade single-handedly destroying them in 2007, he had a good squad around him to finally win a chip in 2011. Then Cuban, Cuban'd, and the team has been treading water since, but at least Dirk got his chip!
Dirk really should have 2 rings since the Mavs lost the 2006 Finals due to bad coaching. They won the first two games and lost the next four games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2017, 08:46 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,194,022 times
Reputation: 1982
Spurs sign Rudy Gay
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/246793/Rudy-Gay-Agrees-Upon-Two-Year-$17M-Deal-With-Spurs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top