U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 08:47 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,203,780 times

Advertisements

I've never been a much of a mark Cuban fan, but I agree with him here

Quote:
Robert Sarver proposed seeding teams 1-16 for the playoffs by record regardless of conference three seasons ago. Mark Cuban pitched a temporary realignment plan.

"The commissioner's office was not interested," Sarver emailed ESPN this week. "The Eastern teams don't like it."

The league has argued that schedule imbalance and over-long travel make a 1-16 system problematic.

"It needs to be addressed," Cuban emailed ESPN on Thursday. "Seven of the 10 smallest markets are in the West. I really believe Eastern teams know they can get by doing less, and [in some cases] make the playoffs. Because they are larger markets, they will sell tickets and advertising, and get viewers. They get the best of both worlds."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 09:06 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,974,670 times
Celtics trading Avery Bradley to Detroit for Marcus Morris.

Boston Celtics trading Avery Bradley to Detroit Pistons

I wouldn't be comfortable with this move at all if I was a Celtic fan. Avery Bradley is a very smart and effective player on both ends and plays even better in the playoffs. Maybe they want Hayward to play a lot of 2-guard and they'll keep Crowder? Marcus Morris is very average, I prefer Crowder and he isn't going to help them play bigger (Horford and Morris as the 5 and 4 doesn't instill fear).

Meanwhile Detroit can avoid overpaying massively to keep Caldwell-Pope if they choose to. Morris is easy to replace. Bradley becomes their best player in terms of execution (not potential), like their new Joe Dumars only quicker.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:13 AM

2,015 posts, read 2,015,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
At some point I have to wonder if you're being sarcastic.
Nope, not being sarcastic. First off, there is no way that OKC makes it past G.S. to go to the NBA Finals. So the possibility of an NBA Championship is not a temptation to stay.

OKC is not his home, Paul George has already said his desire is to go home to LA. So next year he will file for free agency and has the option to go home to play and sign with the Lakers.

Why would you wonder if I was being sarcastic?? That is the way I see it being played out.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:19 AM

52,003 posts, read 41,844,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Nope, not being sarcastic. First off, there is no way that OKC makes it past G.S. to go to the NBA Finals. So the possibility of an NBA Championship is not a temptation to stay.

OKC is not his home, Paul George has already said his desire is to go home to LA. So next year he will file for free agency and has the option to go home to play and sign with the Lakers.

Why would you wonder if I was being sarcastic?? That is the way I see it being played out.
Fair enough, perhaps this will come to pass.

Would be the first all-star level player the Lakers would have been able to retain or attract since Gasol left town which would be great news for the Lakers.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:21 AM

4,492 posts, read 3,160,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Is Rudy Gay a steal for around 8M/year? Clearly no where near a superstar but over the last 3 seasons he put up 19/6/3 on 46% shooting. Seems like lesser players are getting 10-13M/year. Granted, he could be a shell of his former self after injuries.

He's a steal for the Spurs team dynamic. No athlete has ever came back close to prior Achilles heel dominance. That's the one injury in the NBA that truly kills careers. Gay will likely still be serviceable, but he won't be the 19/6/3 man you referenced, even on the Spurs. That type of injury robs you of off the dribble explosiveness and leaping ability.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Celtics trading Avery Bradley to Detroit for Marcus Morris.

Boston Celtics trading Avery Bradley to Detroit Pistons

I wouldn't be comfortable with this move at all if I was a Celtic fan. Avery Bradley is a very smart and effective player on both ends and plays even better in the playoffs. Maybe they want Hayward to play a lot of 2-guard and they'll keep Crowder? Marcus Morris is very average, I prefer Crowder and he isn't going to help them play bigger (Horford and Morris as the 5 and 4 doesn't instill fear).

Meanwhile Detroit can avoid overpaying massively to keep Caldwell-Pope if they choose to. Morris is easy to replace. Bradley becomes their best player in terms of execution (not potential), like their new Joe Dumars only quicker.

This is a poor trade. You keep Bradley and you move Smart. Bradley can score. Smart can only defend. He's not a go to scorer and lucked into those seven 3's against the Cavs facing elimination.

I understand the trade though. They need to get bigger, because they're a poor rebounding team. However, Bradley was my favorite scrappy guy on that team. Smart's ceiling is well below Bradley's.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:58 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,016,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
This is a poor trade. You keep Bradley and you move Smart. Bradley can score. Smart can only defend. He's not a go to scorer and lucked into those seven 3's against the Cavs facing elimination.

I understand the trade though. They need to get bigger, because they're a poor rebounding team. However, Bradley was my favorite scrappy guy on that team. Smart's ceiling is well below Bradley's.

Agreed, it is a bad trade. I recognize that they feel that they will lose Bradley next offseason, as he will be a free agent then and they don't think they can resign him while also keeping Hayward, Horford & Thomas locked up to big deals but if you are going to trade Avery Bradley, you have to get something better than that. Morris doesn't even fit a team need. What they need at this point is someone who can play the 4 & 5 who can rebound, defend and do the dirty work and help Horford out. Morris can't do that.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Agreed, it is a bad trade. I recognize that they feel that they will lose Bradley next offseason, as he will be a free agent then and they don't think they can resign him while also keeping Hayward, Horford & Thomas locked up to big deals but if you are going to trade Avery Bradley, you have to get something better than that. Morris doesn't even fit a team need. What they need at this point is someone who can play the 4 & 5 who can rebound, defend and do the dirty work and help Horford out. Morris can't do that.

We all know how these trades work. You bet on the new scenery being a breath of fresh air in that player. Teams have won and loss that bet, but when you're building a team, you bet on the upside.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:12 PM

2,015 posts, read 2,015,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Fair enough, perhaps this will come to pass.

Would be the first all-star level player the Lakers would have been able to retain or attract since Gasol left town which would be great news for the Lakers.

It's a new day, no longer are we stuck in the Jim Buss era. The momentum is building for our Lakers return to prominence!! We just need to be patient in doing so. We have a few years to build it since right now it is clearly Golden States time.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:08 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,203,780 times
Tyreke Evans to the griz, 1 year 3.3mil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball