U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2017, 02:16 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,896,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I don't think he's Jeff Green (Morris has had some ups and downs like Green), but I'll take a Jeff Green on the end of my bench on a one year deal looking for his final contract. If I had to choose it would be Morris of course.

First, you've traded for a guy facing some legal issues that may impact his availability.

And You got problems if Morris is a small ball 5.

I don't look at Morris as a shooter- he shot 41% largely playing the 3 and 4 last year. As others have noted he's not a rebounder, but I'll cut him some slack with his role in Detroit and also playing alongside Andre Drummond.

I don't know what the Celtics could have gotten for a trade that the world knew was a salary dump on a player they couldn't afford next year, but it doesn't help the Cleveland or Washington matchup IMO.

Are the Celtics now able to keep Crowder? Crowder and Bradley appeared to be the heart and soul of the team. Thomas can be game planned and has to be hidden on the other end, which won't work against the elite that the Celtics will face (Curry, Irving, Wall). Now you make Marcus Smart a 35-40 min. a night need on the defensive end???
Bradley was their best perimeter defender--absolutely. But Smart needs more minutes. He's a good defender, and already a better offensive talent than Bradley (with room to grow). Rozier looks like a decent defender and a viable rotation player at this early stage. Thomas & Hayward will gobble up a lot of minutes at the Guard spots.

Somebody had to go. I probably would have picked IT, but I can see why Boston would not make that choice. If they were to make IT the odd man out, then they would have kept #1 overall and went with Fultz (or maybe Ball).

Moving Bradley should let Boston keep Crowder for the remainder of his contract. If Tatum is as good as they hope he is, then expect Crowder to get moved next offseason.

Come playoffs, Smart should be ready for 35-40 minutes per night. I would expect him to be around 33-38 in the regular season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
And you have Smart on the floor for defense, but he can't score. We saw what happened to Cleveland when they had Shump and D Will on the floor. You need guys who can score, even if they're streaky like JR Smith.
Smart is still young. He showed the ability to make open shots last year at the 3 point line. More importantly, he showed the ability to run an offense. When IT went down against the Cavs, the Celtics had their two best games of the series because they moved the ball more effectively. Smart was a major part of that. The Celtics played him on the wing, but kept him very involved in initiating offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
When the Cavs faced the Celtics I wanted to know where Bradley was- he had a couple bad shooting nights too in that series. Smart had one really good shooting night- they tried to put him on Lebron and he was overwhelmed, and I didn't think he did well on Kyrie either.

They are assuming Tatum is really READY RIGHT NOW and Jaylen Brown takes a huge step up. Even if its the case they still have nothing at the rim contesting shots and big like Horford who wants to step out too much when they need someone on the low block.

Brown didn't impress me- he has every right to get better though, but I don't see ceiling that makes him a key piece.

I get the direction they are headed but I don't agree with it. I'm not really a big Thomas Fan- he'll get paid next year and take a huge part of the cap and I think they could have really sold high on their draft picks and set themselves up to take down Cleveland and make a 2/3 year run after it. Now its let's hope we can do something in a few years. I think if Wall continues to be what everyone on here thinks he is (and even a little better next year) they will have problems with Washington and again it appears they don't matchup with Cleveland well
Assuming they keep Crowder and Brown, the Celtics are not reliant on Tatum being ready right now. He'll definitely get minutes.

Brown turns 21 this season. His rookie year was promising. He will get better. He looks like a prototypical 3 & D wing. We'll see if he can keep up his shooting as he adds volume.

The upcoming season is kind of a flyer for the Celtics as an organization. They want to return to the Conference Finals, but they're still probably too unseasoned to hope for a Finals appearance. But they are young, with lots of young talent that will improve. And Cleveland is aging. The following year will be one where the Celtics should be driving for the Finals, and something less will be a failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 05:34 PM

3,973 posts, read 2,532,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Umm . . . we're talking about Rudy Gay? A steal for the Spurs dynamic? The aging, ball stopping chucker who doesn't play defense and is dwindling with injuries?
I thought I saw that Gay had signed with the Spurs. I dont see how that helps SA. Gay has never played to his potential.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:16 AM

52,406 posts, read 42,151,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
I thought I saw that Gay had signed with the Spurs. I dont see how that helps SA. Gay has never played to his potential.
17mil over 2 years and gives them a guy they can work into their system.

Pretty low risk with a nice fat upside.

Keep in mind that he will no longer be one of the main scoring options so that means he's going to get less pressure from defenses while still being a big scoring threat. I'd expect his FG% to improve and his effort will dictate the minutes he gets.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:11 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,245,281 times
18 mil?
I thought the lakers were done offering questionable money?
At least it's just 1 season

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/246872/Kentavious-Caldwell-Pope-Agrees-To-One-Year-$18M-Deal-With-Lakers

Old 07-12-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
18 mil?

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/246872/Kentavious-Caldwell-Pope-Agrees-To-One-Year-$18M-Deal-With-Lakers
Might have been a hat tip to an agent if you get my drift.

It's not like they're going to be fighting for a playoff spot this year so grossly overpaying is meaningless for the 1 year.

They haven't exceeded 27 wins in any of the last 4 years and I don't see them breaking 30 wins this year.

So, *shrug*.

But don't worry...Loop until infinity...

NEXT year they'll land all the big free agents

Old 07-12-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Might have been a hat tip to an agent if you get my drift.

It's not like they're going to be fighting for a playoff spot this year so grossly overpaying is meaningless for the 1 year.

They haven't exceeded 27 wins in any of the last 4 years and I don't see them breaking 30 wins this year.

So, *shrug*.

But don't worry...Loop until infinity...

NEXT year they'll land all the big free agents
well this is this years "big free agent"
with his 18 mil, that puts their current cap at 99 mil. so they still have a midlevel exception i believe.
thats 13 players on contract. nobody else can sign except vet minimums

ladies and gentlemen, your 2017-18 LA Lakers
brooke lopez
luol deng
caldwell-pope
jordan clarkson
corey brewer
lonzo ball
brandon ingram
julius randle
larry nance jr
kyle kuzma
josh hart
david nwaba
ivica zubac

#Strong

Old 07-12-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
well this is this years "big free agent"
with his 18 mil, that puts their current cap at 99 mil. so they still have a midlevel exception i believe.
thats 13 players on contract. nobody else can sign except vet minimums

ladies and gentlemen, your 2017-18 LA Lakers
brooke lopez
luol deng
caldwell-pope
jordan clarkson
corey brewer
lonzo ball
brandon ingram
julius randle
larry nance jr
kyle kuzma
josh hart
david nwaba
ivica zubac

#Strong
I forget who holds their #1 draft pick this upcoming season but they have to be happy. (Pheonix? Orlando?) I think because they kept this years that it's unprotected at this point too but going off memory.

Not dogging Magic at all here though because he inherited a pretty deep smoking crater.

I think I may have to re-up my bet....I'm not seeing the Lakers in the playoffs in the forseeable future.

Is it that inconceivable to wonder if we are witnessing what will eventually become a 10 year playoff drought for them?

Old 07-12-2017, 11:50 AM

Here you go

Everyone's draft picks

NBA Future Drafts Detailed - RealGM

Old 07-12-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Here you go

Everyone's draft picks

NBA Future Drafts Detailed - RealGM
Yep, #1 or #6-30 goes to Philly and #2-#5 it goes to Boston.

That's got to be a pretty high probability that Boston gets LA's 2018 pick.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:57 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,804,872 times
Quote:
18 mil?

It's a solid signing. I actually think his agent did him a disservice. Lots of big names next year and the cap won't rise (or so it's speculated) like it did in 2016. If I'm Pope I'd probably take the same per year and multi year deal with Brooklyn or some other scrub squad.

24 years old. 1 year deal- playing for a big contract next season. Plays some D and a good shooter. I was impressed by his play against the Cavs in the playoffs last season.

Interesting note- he shares Lebrons agent. Not saying pope and bron are buds but it can't be a bad thing to open up dialogue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball