U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2017, 01:59 PM

2,838 posts, read 1,777,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep, #1 or #6-30 goes to Philly and #2-#5 it goes to Boston.

That's got to be a pretty high probability that Boston gets LA's 2018 pick.
I think they are young enough. They need a superstar and some crusty playoff tested vets after next season.

I think the chances have increased greatly with Magic and if LaVars Son comes through and plays really well and Lavar doesn't make LA undesireable chances get better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 02:27 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
rockets/knicks looking at 4 team trade for melo to rockets.

rockets are gonna send every player not named paul or harden out to get him lol
they are going to have so little defense, its going to be a thing of beauty watching them flounder and fail

Old 07-12-2017, 03:50 PM

8,083 posts, read 5,293,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post

they are going to have so little defense, its going to be a thing of beauty watching them flounder and fail
Dantoni is the coach in the Rockets. I remember Melo had beef with Mike.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Dantoni is the coach in the Rockets. I remember Melo had beef with Mike.
I guess his friendship with chris Paul is gonna cancel that out.

It's going to be such a beautiful train wreck.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:53 PM

3,960 posts, read 2,512,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
17mil over 2 years and gives them a guy they can work into their system.

Pretty low risk with a nice fat upside.

Keep in mind that he will no longer be one of the main scoring options so that means he's going to get less pressure from defenses while still being a big scoring threat. I'd expect his FG% to improve and his effort will dictate the minutes he gets.
I am trying to imagine Gay being that efficient. I do think he can help them if he makes the effort. But, will he be effective with less touches?

Old 07-12-2017, 09:28 PM

51,940 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I think they are young enough. They need a superstar and some crusty playoff tested vets after next season.

I think the chances have increased greatly with Magic and if LaVars Son comes through and plays really well and Lavar doesn't make LA undesireable chances get better.
With Buss out, they might start to recover but wow....how many wins you have them getting this year?

Will it be 5 years under 28 wins? Most likely imo but we shall see.

So that brings us back to speculation that this will get better...soon.

All respect to Magic, but they left the guy a deep deep hole. They don't even have their 2018 pick.

So honestly, the idea that they're just going to pick up free agents on a project is slim to none.

I don't even remember our original bet lol, I respect your views though.

Frankly, I think that my core point that people aren't just running to the lakers anymore has already been proven.

Fortunately some of the idiot laker fans that used to hang around here are now GS fans so I don't have to deal with their nonsense lol.

The fundamental truths of the NBA right now:

1) I can get the internet in beijing, toronto, small town iowa....wherever. Big market is dead. Print media is dead, no one runs to the payphones for "scoops" anymore.

2) Dr. Jerry Buss is one of the greatest figures in NBA history, player or otherwise...top 5. I hope Laker Fans in time appreciate it was HIM and not LA that did that.

3) If Magic fudges this up.....you're the Knicks and could spend a decade out of the playoffs. Tell me I'm wrong.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:49 AM

28,493 posts, read 15,453,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post

I think they should stand pat and do nothing else of significance.

Last year
Beverly, Harden, Ariza, Gordon, Williams, Anderson, Dekker, Capela, Nene, Harrell

This Year (current)
Paul, Harden, Ariza, Gordon, Anderson, Tucker, Mbah a Moute, Capela, Nene, Black

You have got your offensive pieces from last year (and should seem to be better in year 2 of D'Antoni's offense) and have improved defensively. Paul is a definite upgrade - even though they will miss what PBev brought emotionally to the team. Otherwise - Dekker, Williams, and Harrell out - defensive minded veterans brought in. Same starting lineup except for the point guard.

You could have your offensive squad, and your defensive lockdown squad... Paul, Ariza, Tucker, Mbah a Moute, Capela

I would be done.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 07-17-2017 at 12:00 PM..

Old 07-17-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Last year
Beverly, Harden, Ariza, Gordon, Williams, Anderson, Dekker, Capela, Nene, Harrell

This Year (current)
Paul, Harden, Ariza, Gordon, Anderson, Tucker, Mbah a Moute, Capela, Nene, Black

You have got your offensive pieces from last year (and should seem to be better in year 2 of D'Antoni's offense) and have improved defensively. Paul is a definite upgrade - even though they will miss what PBev brought emotionally to the team. Otherwise - Dekker, Williams, and Harrell out - defensive minded veterans brought in. Same starting lineup except for the point guard.

You could have your offensive squad, and your defensive lockdown squad... Paul, Ariza, Tucker, Mbah a Moute, Capela

I would be done.
i dont disagree terribly.

the "2nd year in dantonis system" isnt exactly the truth though. he is going to have to totally revamp things to put the ball in pauls hands and harden is obviously not going to run point much. thats a complete 180 from last year.

i do agree i wouldnt make anymore trades, but im not sure morey can keep from making more trades, thats not in his nature.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:31 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,286,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Last year

This Year (current)

I would be done.
Sometimes less is more. I'm not sure about the Harden and Paul pairing. They just don't seem to fit to me. And to make them fit almost takes away the things that make each of them great. Harden gets to the line more than any player in the league. And he does this in large part because he has the ball in his hands. He can use his dribble to bait the defender into contact. If you move him off ball a lot of that is lost. And his free throws are a decent chunk of his scoring production. Not to mention He's not a catch and shoot player. He creates space with the ball and shoots in a rhythm. That's what he does best.

But if you keep him on the ball then CP3 moves off. And that really neutralizes him. Chris Paul as a spot up shooter running off screens is just too easy to cover defensively. That's mostly because he so small. Teams can just switch off as he moves around the court. He doesn't create mismatches.

Not saying Houston won't win games. I just don't see them as a real contender.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:32 PM

51,940 posts, read 41,806,773 times
I wouldn't trade a 2nd round pick for Melo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball