U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2017, 10:07 PM

17,298 posts, read 10,206,664 times

Advertisements

LeBron moping about Cleveland's off season.

Taking selfies in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 10:10 PM

28,497 posts, read 15,453,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i dont disagree terribly.

the "2nd year in dantonis system" isnt exactly the truth though. he is going to have to totally revamp things to put the ball in pauls hands and harden is obviously not going to run point much. thats a complete 180 from last year.

i do agree i wouldnt make anymore trades, but im not sure morey can keep from making more trades, thats not in his nature.
Not a complete 180... Paul and Harden will have to coexist... nothing much should change for the others. Ariza, Anderson - spot up. Capela - now gets lobs from two sources.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
Sometimes less is more. I'm not sure about the Harden and Paul pairing. They just don't seem to fit to me. And to make them fit almost takes away the things that make each of them great. Harden gets to the line more than any player in the league. And he does this in large part because he has the ball in his hands. He can use his dribble to bait the defender into contact. If you move him off ball a lot of that is lost. And his free throws are a decent chunk of his scoring production. Not to mention He's not a catch and shoot player. He creates space with the ball and shoots in a rhythm. That's what he does best.

But if you keep him on the ball then CP3 moves off. And that really neutralizes him. Chris Paul as a spot up shooter running off screens is just too easy to cover defensively. That's mostly because he so small. Teams can just switch off as he moves around the court. He doesn't create mismatches.

Not saying Houston won't win games. I just don't see them as a real contender.
Harden and Paul agreed to this - do they have the basketball IQ to make it work?

Old 07-18-2017, 07:31 AM

17,298 posts, read 10,206,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Harden and Paul agreed to this - do they have the basketball IQ to make it work?
Agreeing is one thing, emotions and execution are another thing.

I'm sure Kobe and Howard agreed to make things work before he signed with the Lakers, and look how that turned out.

Paul is a hard head and rubbed some of his teammates the wrong way. Harden seems more aloof personality wise, but is still prideful.

I hope it works out but I expect to see some clashes especially during post season if they make it.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:35 AM

2,838 posts, read 1,777,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
With Buss out, they might start to recover but wow....how many wins you have them getting this year?

Will it be 5 years under 28 wins? Most likely imo but we shall see.

So that brings us back to speculation that this will get better...soon.

All respect to Magic, but they left the guy a deep deep hole. They don't even have their 2018 pick.

So honestly, the idea that they're just going to pick up free agents on a project is slim to none.

I don't even remember our original bet lol, I respect your views though.

Frankly, I think that my core point that people aren't just running to the lakers anymore has already been proven.

Fortunately some of the idiot laker fans that used to hang around here are now GS fans so I don't have to deal with their nonsense lol.

The fundamental truths of the NBA right now:

1) I can get the internet in beijing, toronto, small town iowa....wherever. Big market is dead. Print media is dead, no one runs to the payphones for "scoops" anymore.

2) Dr. Jerry Buss is one of the greatest figures in NBA history, player or otherwise...top 5. I hope Laker Fans in time appreciate it was HIM and not LA that did that.

3) If Magic fudges this up.....you're the Knicks and could spend a decade out of the playoffs. Tell me I'm wrong.

I have this 17-18 or 18-19 to make the playoffs.

I think they have been fortunate (lucky so be it) to keep their picks the last two years, and at this point they are very young and need to add veteran players and a star to play alongside Ball. I don't think another mid range lottery pick helps them anymore so I don't look at the Lakers losing a pick next year as critical as you do. The had some nice play from some of the young guys in Summer League.

I guess I see a "Star" player and then a few decent playoff tested vets giving the Lakers a shot more than ever at this point. Lonzo (minus Lavar meddling- he just seems focused on this shoe deal maybe there is hope) looks like he has the type of game a scorer would want to play alongside.

I see your point about the Lakers not being the destination it once was, but if all things are equal (management is more competent-it seems to be the case) I think talented NBA players will see the Lakers (and LA in general) as more desirable place than Milwaukee, Utah, Cleveland, Memphis- just to name a few.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:49 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,859,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I don't think another mid range lottery pick helps them anymore so I don't look at the Lakers losing a pick next year as critical as you do. The had some nice play from some of the young guys in Summer League.
I agree on this point too.

The Warriors were built through the draft with Curry, Thompson and Green. Three guys that came up together. They didn't need more young guys. They just needed solid veteran players like Iggy, Livingston and Bogut.

Even with the subtraction of Russell the Lakers still have three young lottery picks including two #2 overall picks. They need a few veterans. But of course most of all they need Lonzo, Ingram and Randle to develop into all-stars.

Guys like Lopez, Brewer and Deng are decent veterans but they'll likely all be gone by the time Lonzo, Ingram and Randle fully develop. If they ever do of course.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:57 PM

51,950 posts, read 41,815,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I have this 17-18 or 18-19 to make the playoffs.

I think they have been fortunate (lucky so be it) to keep their picks the last two years, and at this point they are very young and need to add veteran players and a star to play alongside Ball. I don't think another mid range lottery pick helps them anymore so I don't look at the Lakers losing a pick next year as critical as you do. The had some nice play from some of the young guys in Summer League.

I guess I see a "Star" player and then a few decent playoff tested vets giving the Lakers a shot more than ever at this point. Lonzo (minus Lavar meddling- he just seems focused on this shoe deal maybe there is hope) looks like he has the type of game a scorer would want to play alongside.

I see your point about the Lakers not being the destination it once was, but if all things are equal (management is more competent-it seems to be the case) I think talented NBA players will see the Lakers (and LA in general) as more desirable place than Milwaukee, Utah, Cleveland, Memphis- just to name a few.
Well, you're almost certainly not making the playoffs this year so that means......*drumroll* the Lakers are going to need to land at least 1 or 2 MAJOR free agents. This has been the entire crux of the wager and my disagreement with Laker fans.

Frankly, I applaud you. Unlike so many you've not run for the skirts of the GSW and declared yourself a CA fan like many have appeared to.

I would not immediately say that management is more competent just yet. Love Magic but can't judge that yet.

Key problem is that all else is NOT equal and the current trend is the formation of mega teams. I'll be the first to admit I did not anticipate the extent of this. It really kills the chances of teams just grabbing a big star.

Frankly at this point if someone forced me to bet my retirement fund on an over\under of Lakers making playoffs I'd probably say 4 years. Just being honest.

On a lighter note...wtf do I know...I've screwed up lots of predictions in the last year lol.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:00 PM

51,950 posts, read 41,815,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I agree on this point too.

The Warriors were built through the draft with Curry, Thompson and Green. Three guys that came up together. They didn't need more young guys. They just needed solid veteran players like Iggy, Livingston and Bogut.

Even with the subtraction of Russell the Lakers still have three young lottery picks including two #2 overall picks. They need a few veterans. But of course most of all they need Lonzo, Ingram and Randle to develop into all-stars.

Guys like Lopez, Brewer and Deng are decent veterans but they'll likely all be gone by the time Lonzo, Ingram and Randle fully develop. If they ever do of course.
The problem there is that you don't know if you're getting a Kyrie Ivring, Dion Waiters or Thompson....or if one of those Laker fools will be dumb enough to start putting his boner in a kardashian and thus dooming any chance of success or sanity.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:45 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,859,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The problem there is that you don't know if you're getting a Kyrie Ivring, Dion Waiters or Thompson....or if one of those Laker fools will be dumb enough to start putting his boner in a kardashian and thus dooming any chance of success or sanity.
Sure anyone can bust and you don't know what you are going to get. But that's not really relevant.

Lakers are already loaded with young lottery talent. And there is only one basketball to go around. They need to give these guys as much experience and confidence as possible. Bringing in another high lottery pick is only going to make things more confounded. Luckily they have a guy now that should spread the wealth around if all goes right.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Dantoni is the coach in the Rockets. I remember Melo had beef with Mike.
Anthony and D’Antoni May Reunite, This Time for the Better

In his head or heart, and quite possibly both, Anthony has to by now know that D’Antoni was right.

“In New York, Melo and other people were averse to Mike’s offense because it was not only different but it was early different,” said Dan D’Antoni, who served as an assistant coach with the Knicks when his younger brother was in charge. “It was before Golden State, before it was settled that there was a new way to play in the N.B.A. But things change. The league changes. The game changes. Melo changes. Mike changes.”

On the phone recently from Myrtle Beach, S.C., where he scouted high school players in his role as the head coach at Marshall University, Dan D’Antoni added: “I don’t think Mike’s backed off at all on how the game should be played.”

In other words, for the sake of a reunion for which negotiations have at least temporarily stalled over what the Knicks would take back in a trade, Anthony would have to be the one making the modifications.

I still say - don't do it, even if he concedes to the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball