U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 08:17 AM

12,159 posts, read 10,333,551 times

Advertisements

I realize LA isn't the place to be like it used to be but can we all agree that there's a much better chance now (and next off season) than there was the last few years that a big time free agent would choose the Lakers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 09:09 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,192,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I realize LA isn't the place to be like it used to be but can we all agree that there's a much better chance now (and next off season) than there was the last few years that a big time free agent would choose the Lakers?
well i mean if it went from 1% to 10% then sure thats a huge jump in the odds.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:14 AM

51,858 posts, read 41,758,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Well I don't think that anyone would argue that Magic is going to be a big improvement over Buss.

However, that's about the only thing that's different and isn't always what a player cares about.

They still have a pretty bad team and even if Ball works out it's still going to be 3 years before he gets near his potential and that's IF he works out.

With that said I've always agreed the Lakers would get out of the hole they're in but frankly I'm still seeing that taking some more time and the quick salvation via free agency has and likely still is unlikely in the short term.

They took an important first step and that's getting rid of Buss but wow he left them in a deep hole.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:22 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,152,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well I don't think that anyone would argue that Magic is going to be a big improvement over Buss.

However, that's about the only thing that's different and isn't always what a player cares about.

They still have a pretty bad team and even if Ball works out it's still going to be 3 years before he gets near his potential and that's IF he works out.

With that said I've always agreed the Lakers would get out of the hole they're in but frankly I'm still seeing that taking some more time and the quick salvation via free agency has and likely still is unlikely in the short term.

They took an important first step and that's getting rid of Buss but wow he left them in a deep hole.

I'm curious as to what you actually do in this situation. You have (3) potential rising stars in Ball, Randall, and Ingram; however, you likely still need a veteran who can get them over the hump. You know you're likely not going to find that veteran at the 4 or 5 spot, so guys like Randall and Nance are safe in a sense, but could easily be packaged in a trade off down the road too. So you're still left with potentially have to move Ball, Randall, or Ingram to get you that star veteran, because your leading league scorers tend to be in positions 1-3.

The Lakers are going somewhere, but unless Ball, Randall, and Ingram all take quick leaps in skill in very short order, there's still likely a good chance one of them won't be a part of a Lakers playoff running team. If they can get lucky and score a Boogie, AD, or KAT type talent than sure, but I just don't see that happening. I could see it happening if they were to draft that person, but I don't see that caliber of person going there via free agency or a trade, without losing a Ball, Randall, or Ingram.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:52 AM

2,833 posts, read 1,773,045 times
I think the Lakers keep Ball and Randall and make all the others expendable. Ingram is the type of developmental guy that Lebron would want no part of- honestly the short time I've watched Lonzo Ball's game I don't think it meshes better than say a Kyrie Irving either.

So For the Lebron to Lakers crowd-

Would Ball, Lebron, P. George, Randall and a bunch of Lebron's over the hill buddies make them a championship team in 2018.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:57 AM

3,847 posts, read 3,966,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I think the Lakers keep Ball and Randall and make all the others expendable. Ingram is the type of developmental guy that Lebron would want no part of.

So For the Lebron to Lakers crowd-

Would Ball, Lebron, P. George, Randall and a bunch of Lebron's over the hill buddies make them a championship team in 2018.
Playoffs for sure, maybe conference finals. Would have to see who the big men are, if they are smart and good defensively, the sky's the limit. Not sure yet about Randle's skills, could go either way (all-star or semi bust).

But damn, that would be a fun/interesting team to watch.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:17 AM

I'm looking at the situation with no Lebron in the picture. I don't see Lebron going to the Lakers as being the right move for him or the Lakers long-term success. It's not like the Lakers have a long-term playoff, Conference Finals, or NBA Finals drought like the Cavs did.

I like Ingram's game. I haven't watched much Randall, so I'm going to rely on other posters here.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:26 AM

2,833 posts, read 1,773,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I'm looking at the situation with no Lebron in the picture. I don't see Lebron going to the Lakers as being the right move for him or the Lakers long-term success. It's not like the Lakers have a long-term playoff, Conference Finals, or NBA Finals drought like the Cavs did.

I like Ingram's game. I haven't watched much Randall, so I'm going to rely on other posters here.
I think the Lakers would be all on board to team Ball with Lebron and it would be the right move as I'm thinking Lebron has a few more elite years. I think its more of a situation where it wouldn't be the right move for Lebron. I don't think its similar to Cleveland's situation, while the Lakers aren't in desperation mode like Cleveland was- I don't think that matters or factors in when you have an opportunity to add Lebron and keep your future centerpiece Lonzo Ball. The Lakers still have a proud history even after this recent losing run - they want to hang more banners just as much as any other organization craving for one, two or three titles.

But the Cleveland situation was different- Kyrie was more advanced in 2015 and is far better pairing with Lebron.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I think the Lakers would be all on board to team Ball with Lebron and it would be the right move as I'm thinking Lebron has a few more elite years. I think its more of a situation where it wouldn't be the right move for Lebron. I don't think its similar to Cleveland's situation, while the Lakers aren't in desperation mode like Cleveland was- I don't think that matters or factors in when you have an opportunity to add Lebron and keep your future centerpiece Lonzo Ball. The Lakers still have a proud history even after this recent losing run - they want to hang more banners just as much as any other organization craving for one, two or three titles.

But the Cleveland situation was different- Kyrie was more advanced in 2015 and is far better pairing with Lebron.
So you're going to put all your chips in Lonzo as being your franchise? I'm perfectly fine with that. I just don't know if you make a title run call with Lebron, without the supporting cast. I don't envision anything the Lakers put on the court is going to put them over the hump, because they're just so young. Now you're asking Lebron to continue to shoulder the burden when he's 34-35?? I just don't see that happening for the Lakers, unless Ball, Ingram, and Randall all play outside their minds immediately.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:15 AM

51,858 posts, read 41,758,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I'm curious as to what you actually do in this situation. You have (3) potential rising stars in Ball, Randall, and Ingram; however, you likely still need a veteran who can get them over the hump. You know you're likely not going to find that veteran at the 4 or 5 spot, so guys like Randall and Nance are safe in a sense, but could easily be packaged in a trade off down the road too. So you're still left with potentially have to move Ball, Randall, or Ingram to get you that star veteran, because your leading league scorers tend to be in positions 1-3.

The Lakers are going somewhere, but unless Ball, Randall, and Ingram all take quick leaps in skill in very short order, there's still likely a good chance one of them won't be a part of a Lakers playoff running team. If they can get lucky and score a Boogie, AD, or KAT type talent than sure, but I just don't see that happening. I could see it happening if they were to draft that person, but I don't see that caliber of person going there via free agency or a trade, without losing a Ball, Randall, or Ingram.
Every team that has been bad for a while tends to always have a couple "promising young guys" so that's a dangerous source of hope. (Been there myself as a Bulls fan)

IF they get massive development in their young guys and none of them flake (unlikely), then they could add some veteran solid talent in FA and THEN could be attractive to a bigger name player.

Could happen but with the hole Buss left the Lakers in....that happening fast is unlikely.

I think that a deep breath and step back for Laker fans is in order to really see the damage Buss did and to cut Magic some slack from expectations that he can (pun intended) pull off some instant magical return to good/greatness is unrealistic.

In fact, trying to rush back desperately might actually doom a smart rebuild.

Also, have to ask yourselves would you happy getting to above mediocre and enduring years of 1st round playoff exits or a slower approach aimed at building a team that can compete at high levels? Those goals may require a different approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball