U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 10:42 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,880,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
what gives you that impression?

they have currently lost david lee, dwayne dedmon, and jonathon simmons, they resigned and over paid 37 year old pau gasol, tony parker is out until january if ever again, they have signed a couple of nobody/d-league bigs, and the lone bright spot, signing patty mills to a reasonable contract to stick around.

spurs are looking like a barely 50 win team and a 3-5 seed at best.
They'll be the 2 or 3 seed. I would pick 56 wins at this point. This offseason is a regression, but not a giant one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 10:59 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,208,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
They'll be the 2 or 3 seed. I would pick 56 wins at this point. This offseason is a regression, but not a giant one.
i hope youre more accurate than i am.

thing is the west seems to have gotten stronger, the spurs... not so much.

they have a lack of bigs, and parker, while aging is still a very serviceable PG, more so than any PG the spurs currently have on roster. with him not coming back until january AT BEST, thats a huge blow.

the current spurs center/forward depth chart consists of
aldridge (whos supposedly unhappy)
pau (whos 37 and cant handle 30+ mpg or defend really)
lauvergne (who? exactly)
MAYBE davis bertans (who is decent but to small/thin to bang with any bigs)

we have 3 guys in their 2nd year, and 2 rookies.

no im not terribly optimistic for my spurs this year. i think we whiffed on every trade/free agent we wanted and settled for gay. we let lee walk, and dedmon too, and never even offered simmons a deal, all so we could have the money to resign mills and pau. we gave pau a RIDICULOUS pay day. a guy who snubbed us 3 years ago over about 4 million dollars over 2 years.

yeah im not a happy spurs fan at the moment.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
i hope youre more accurate than i am.

thing is the west seems to have gotten stronger, the spurs... not so much.

they have a lack of bigs, and parker, while aging is still a very serviceable PG, more so than any PG the spurs currently have on roster. with him not coming back until january AT BEST, thats a huge blow.

the current spurs center/forward depth chart consists of
aldridge (whos supposedly unhappy)
pau (whos 37 and cant handle 30+ mpg or defend really)
lauvergne (who? exactly)
MAYBE davis bertans (who is decent but to small/thin to bang with any bigs)

we have 3 guys in their 2nd year, and 2 rookies.

no im not terribly optimistic for my spurs this year. i think we whiffed on every trade/free agent we wanted and settled for gay. we let lee walk, and dedmon too, and never even offered simmons a deal, all so we could have the money to resign mills and pau. we gave pau a RIDICULOUS pay day. a guy who snubbed us 3 years ago over about 4 million dollars over 2 years.

yeah im not a happy spurs fan at the moment.
The West got more players, but it's not that much stronger. Minnesota & Denver took big steps forward, but they are starting from pretty far down. I think Minnesota is a year away from being dangerous, still. OKC got George, but I'm not in love with the George-Westbrook pairing.

Houston is a bit of a wildcard. They had built nice chemistry & fit with last year's squad. Losing Beverly, Lou Williams, Dekker, and (for all intents & purposes) Nene hurts, even though gaining Paul & P.J. Tucker is a nice salve. I think Houston may have improved against the Spurs, but gotten worse against the Warriors.

The Jazz got worse when they were about to get pretty dangerous.

The Clippers got a lot worse.

Portland's going sideways.

I think Memphis & New Orleans are primed to improve, but not enough to reach the elite tier. New Orleans needs more shooting. Memphis got some, but needs more.

The Suns & Lakers are a few years & a few moves away.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:05 PM

3-5 seed is where I put the spurs.

Warriors, Houston imo are almost a lock to be 1-2
The thunder could easily end up the 3.
Utah and LAC might miss the playoffs.
My current prediction
Warriors
Houston
OKC
San Antonio
Portland
Memphis
NO pels
Denver.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:02 PM

2,841 posts, read 1,783,742 times
Quote:
3-5 seed is where I put the spurs.

Warriors, Houston imo are almost a lock to be 1-2
The thunder could easily end up the 3.
Utah and LAC might miss the playoffs.
My current prediction
Warriors
Houston
OKC
San Antonio
Portland
Memphis
NO pels
Denver.
I agree with that order.

Spurs are in weird spot where their older talent has to freeze time and the younger guys have to grow up quickly.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:37 PM

52,079 posts, read 41,881,580 times
I also agree that Spurs have some serious age matching issues right now and the west has got some talent concentrations.

I have to think that Minnesota could climb up in the mix this year even without Butler their young talent is just getting better. Butler is an excellent 2-way player and three time all-star I have to think that even without KI that they could be a 40+ win team next year.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I agree with that order.

Spurs are in weird spot where their older talent has to freeze time and the younger guys have to grow up quickly.
I'm expecting:

Warriors
Spurs
Rockets

T'Wolves
Blazers
Thunder
Grizzlies
Nuggets

As rosters stand today. The Spurs already transitioned a lot of the load off of Parker & Manu. Pau is useful, but will likely play limited minutes. Kawhi, Aldridge, and Patty Mills are good enough to generate a lot of wins surrounded by role players and aging vets. I'm not sure they will be able to get those wins in the 2nd & 3rd rounds of the playoffs, though.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I'm expecting:

Warriors
Spurs
Rockets

T'Wolves
Blazers
Thunder
Grizzlies
Nuggets

As rosters stand today. The Spurs already transitioned a lot of the load off of Parker & Manu. Pau is useful, but will likely play limited minutes. Kawhi, Aldridge, and Patty Mills are good enough to generate a lot of wins surrounded by role players and aging vets. I'm not sure they will be able to get those wins in the 2nd & 3rd rounds of the playoffs, though.
aldridge is already supposedly not happy, and with pau playing limited minutes its going to put aldridge at the 5 spot more often. a position he never wanted to play from the start.

his minutes especially are going to have to go up with our current line of bigs. he averaged 32 last year, id expect he will be closer to 34 this year.

the rotations are going to be very small, relying on aldridge and leonard.
mills can shoot and move but hes not a great passer and not a great ball handler for a PG. i expect leonard will assume more of those duties making mills a spot up shooter more.

manu may run point some as well.
murrey is the one ive got my eyes on. hes supposed to be the PG of the future, and is a very solid defender. i expect by mid season he should be taking mills duties starting depending on parker.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:39 PM

8,130 posts, read 5,317,908 times
Hi Everyone..

Please note that i have decided to join the Golden State Warriors.....

Old 07-26-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Hi Everyone..

Please note that i have decided to join the Golden State Warriors.....
youre gonna win a ring but taking the vet minimum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball