U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2017, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,633 posts, read 8,334,113 times
Reputation: 7594

Advertisements

Yeah, the San Antonio Spurs' offseason makes zero sense. They will definitely regress next year with the roster they have so far. I do like the Rudy Gay signing but they lost out on re-signing Jonathon Simmons and Dewayne Dedmon, the two were such important components to their team last season. I read a report about how San Antonio's discussions with Simmons deteriorated in a very concerning manner and that he requested that they pull their qualifying offer so he can become an unrestricted free agent. Which they granted the next day. It's also concerning that they didn't move along further with George Hill, he'd be a natural fit for them at point guard, a position that they have a severe lack of talent at. Patty Mills is a great backup but he cannot be relied upon to start for a large amount of the season and Dejounte Murray's only going into his second year. He's still a ways away from becoming a difference maker.

Honestly, with Kyrie Irving wanting out and listing the San Antonio Spurs as among one of his four preferred destinations, the Spurs honestly should be working really hard to make that a reality. Kyrie is a weak defender, he is capable but he rarely shows interest in that end of the floor but the Spurs have such an anemic backcourt that they could use Kyrie even with his flaws either way. They should make a trade package to Cleveland that includes Dejounte Murray, a reliable veteran with excellent skills, maybe one or two more youngsters, and a first round draft pick. I know Spurs fans will look at that trade proposal and go "we're gutting our roster for Kyrie?!" but don't look at it that way. See next year Tony Parker's deal is up and he will likely resign for a lower money deal and Aldridge likely will opt out and Manu will retire, which will free up cap-space for the Spurs to sign other veteran role players off the market to build around Kawhi and Kyrie. Kawhi and Kyrie are the same age and come from the same NBA draft, the Spurs have a year to wait out until they start building around them.

The first thing for the Spurs should be to secure Kyrie Irving's contract though, via trade. They really really should make that a priority, his ball handling and ability to generate an offense alone makes him worth it. In Game 1 after Kawhi went down, defense wasn't the Spurs' problem, it was their inability to score, they wont have that issue at all with Kyrie. Kyrie is tested too, he's played the Warriors in two NBA Finals in a row and one game of the NBA Finals 3 years ago, they aren't able to stop him from scoring at all. So he'd be a valuable commodity to the Spurs regardless. The Spurs need to do this man, they really really do need an offensive guru like Kyrie in the backcourt and he's only 25, they can build around that for a decade or longer. He's basically a suped-up Tony Parker, essentially plays the same but with better handles and finishing moves. So he can fit in San Antonio just fine.

Also the Pau Gasol contract is just flat out idiotic. The only positive I can see from it is that they're sending a message to other free agents and/or Marc Gasol that they take good care of their players. That has to be the reason they gave a 37 year old Pau $16 million for each of the next 3 seasons, absurd. Pau is not a $16 million dollar player in the NBA anymore. That's a ridiculously high overpay.

Another team Kyrie makes a ton of sense on is the Los Angeles Clippers.

Also, there is a strong possibility that Detroit moves on from Andre Drummond and Reggie Jackson as well. So Eastern Conference teams that have a need at point guard or center should inquire about that in Detroit.

As for Cleveland, a package with Eric Bledsoe and more bench depth would make the Cavaliers stronger without Kyrie. So Cleveland should prioritize that. Whatever they do, they should stay away from Boston's proposal of Isaiah Thomas and some bench depth, because Thomas is a midget by NBA terms (hell, he's 7.5 inches shorter than me and I am not a professional basketball player). He's a liability and that was well exploited in the NBA playoffs time and time again, especially in the conference finals. Plus he wants the super-max next year and frankly, he's not worth that. He's an aging midget that ranks second to last in the entire NBA for defense. Out of 469 players in the NBA, Thomas is 468 on defense and his team performs better when he's off the floor. Look at the conference finals, while he was on the court, his team didn't even lead for a second against Cleveland and were getting blown-out by 50+ points in Game 2. He goes down and the Celtics actually win a game and do better in the games that they did end up losing afterwards, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2017, 06:56 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,202,672 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Yeah, the San Antonio Spurs' offseason makes zero sense. They will definitely regress next year with the roster they have so far. I do like the Rudy Gay signing but they lost out on re-signing Jonathon Simmons and Dewayne Dedmon, the two were such important components to their team last season. I read a report about how San Antonio's discussions with Simmons deteriorated in a very concerning manner and that he requested that they pull their qualifying offer so he can become an unrestricted free agent. Which they granted the next day. It's also concerning that they didn't move along further with George Hill, he'd be a natural fit for them at point guard, a position that they have a severe lack of talent at. Patty Mills is a great backup but he cannot be relied upon to start for a large amount of the season and Dejounte Murray's only going into his second year. He's still a ways away from becoming a difference maker.

Honestly, with Kyrie Irving wanting out and listing the San Antonio Spurs as among one of his four preferred destinations, the Spurs honestly should be working really hard to make that a reality. Kyrie is a weak defender, he is capable but he rarely shows interest in that end of the floor but the Spurs have such an anemic backcourt that they could use Kyrie even with his flaws either way. They should make a trade package to Cleveland that includes Dejounte Murray, a reliable veteran with excellent skills, maybe one or two more youngsters, and a first round draft pick. I know Spurs fans will look at that trade proposal and go "we're gutting our roster for Kyrie?!" but don't look at it that way. See next year Tony Parker's deal is up and he will likely resign for a lower money deal and Aldridge likely will opt out and Manu will retire, which will free up cap-space for the Spurs to sign other veteran role players off the market to build around Kawhi and Kyrie. Kawhi and Kyrie are the same age and come from the same NBA draft, the Spurs have a year to wait out until they start building around them.

The first thing for the Spurs should be to secure Kyrie Irving's contract though, via trade. They really really should make that a priority, his ball handling and ability to generate an offense alone makes him worth it. In Game 1 after Kawhi went down, defense wasn't the Spurs' problem, it was their inability to score, they wont have that issue at all with Kyrie. Kyrie is tested too, he's played the Warriors in two NBA Finals in a row and one game of the NBA Finals 3 years ago, they aren't able to stop him from scoring at all. So he'd be a valuable commodity to the Spurs regardless. The Spurs need to do this man, they really really do need an offensive guru like Kyrie in the backcourt and he's only 25, they can build around that for a decade or longer. He's basically a suped-up Tony Parker, essentially plays the same but with better handles and finishing moves. So he can fit in San Antonio just fine.

Also the Pau Gasol contract is just flat out idiotic. The only positive I can see from it is that they're sending a message to other free agents and/or Marc Gasol that they take good care of their players. That has to be the reason they gave a 37 year old Pau $16 million for each of the next 3 seasons, absurd. Pau is not a $16 million dollar player in the NBA anymore. That's a ridiculously high overpay.

Another team Kyrie makes a ton of sense on is the Los Angeles Clippers.

Also, there is a strong possibility that Detroit moves on from Andre Drummond and Reggie Jackson as well. So Eastern Conference teams that have a need at point guard or center should inquire about that in Detroit.

As for Cleveland, a package with Eric Bledsoe and more bench depth would make the Cavaliers stronger without Kyrie. So Cleveland should prioritize that. Whatever they do, they should stay away from Boston's proposal of Isaiah Thomas and some bench depth, because Thomas is a midget by NBA terms (hell, he's 7.5 inches shorter than me and I am not a professional basketball player). He's a liability and that was well exploited in the NBA playoffs time and time again, especially in the conference finals. Plus he wants the super-max next year and frankly, he's not worth that. He's an aging midget that ranks second to last in the entire NBA for defense. Out of 469 players in the NBA, Thomas is 468 on defense and his team performs better when he's off the floor. Look at the conference finals, while he was on the court, his team didn't even lead for a second against Cleveland and were getting blown-out by 50+ points in Game 2. He goes down and the Celtics actually win a game and do better in the games that they did end up losing afterwards, LOL.

only responding to the bold at this point lol
the spurs and simmons didnt even have talks. nothing deteriorated and he didnt ask to pull the offer. they never once spoke since they offed the QO until the day they pulled it.

it seems they expected simmons to be to expensive, and that he would approach them. he from day one was apparently talking to other teams thus showing little to no interest in resigning.
ultimately he ended up taking less than what the spurs could have offered him.

as for hill, george hill would be a nice fit for sure, and pop loves him, he still has a house in SA and practices there every off season. BUT... he wanted too much money. more than the spurs were willing to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2017, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,633 posts, read 8,334,113 times
Reputation: 7594
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
only responding to the bold at this point lol
the spurs and simmons didnt even have talks. nothing deteriorated and he didnt ask to pull the offer. they never once spoke since they offed the QO until the day they pulled it.

it seems they expected simmons to be to expensive, and that he would approach them. he from day one was apparently talking to other teams thus showing little to no interest in resigning.
ultimately he ended up taking less than what the spurs could have offered him.

as for hill, george hill would be a nice fit for sure, and pop loves him, he still has a house in SA and practices there every off season. BUT... he wanted too much money. more than the spurs were willing to pay.
This is a recent report by Jesse Blanchard, the official beat writer for the San Antonio Spurs, he had this to say about the interactions between the San Antonio Spurs organization and (restricted) free agent Jonathon Simmons:
Quote:
But something happened between the Spurs and Simmons and, as Jabari Young of the San Antonio Express-News reported, that relationship deteriorated:

"After talks on a new contract stalled, a sign-and-trade with the Phoenix Suns was presented. The deal featured the Spurs getting center Tyson Chandler in exchange for Simmons, but at the last minute, the Spurs backed out of the trade, not wanting to take on the remaining two years and roughly $26 million on Chandler’s deal.

According to league sources, Simmons’ representatives then spoke with Spurs officials late Wednesday in Las Vegas, where it was requested he become an unrestricted free agent. The team granted the request Thursday morning, the last day teams can pull qualifying offers…

…league sources tell the Express-News his representatives were displeased with the way the Spurs negotiated with Simmons and will seek deals elsewhere before a commitment to re-sign in San Antonio."


https://bballbreakdown.com/2017/07/2...ost-offseason/
Don't know how accurate the report is but it would seem to make sense.

Regarding George Hill: I have conflicting feelings on George Hill. On one hand he is supremely under-appreciated as a player in the NBA, quite skilled and talented, a two-way savant, and a dude that can facilitate and generate an offense not only for himself but his teammates. He's also well versed in playing both guard positions, making him an ideal piece to any flexible rotation. On the other hand is his advanced age, he is now past 30 years old and he's asking for too much money. Don't get me wrong, if I had to choose one guy to pay a max-contract to between George Hill and Isaiah Thomas, I'd pick George Hill in a heartbeat, quick, fast, and in a hurry because he bring so much more to the game than that midget defensive liability and volume scorer Isaiah Thomas.

Though the Spurs were right to not overpay George Hill because then you'd be trapped in building around an aging point guard. The Spurs, with Kyrie's availability, have an opportunity to rectify their offseason mistakes though.

I realize that Kyrie isn't a prototypical Spur by personality or even play, but he's 25 years old, able to generate an offense against any defense among the 30 teams in the NBA (he's been tested on that against the best - the Warriors) and he can knock down big shots. Looking at the Spurs' backcourt, the problem more than anything is that it is a low scoring backcourt. Out of every guard position, I don't think even 1 guy averaged over 12 points per game in the Spurs backcourt last season. Their frontcourt is good and deep, but their backcourt needs major help.

In retrospect, I'd rather pay George Hill $16 million a year for 3 years than pay Pau Gasol that but the Spurs did what they had to. Now they need to get busy on this trade market, more than any other team that's inquired about Kyrie, the Spurs have the biggest need of the point guard. Almost all the other teams that inquired either already have a legit point guard in place already (Jeff Teague - Minnesota; Goran Dragic - Miami; Eric Bledsoe - Phoenix) or are rebuilding teams without nary a chance to make postseason noise next year even with Kyrie.

Then again, I'm not a Spurs fan, just a fan of the sport. Just my opinion, if the Spurs have this opportunity to possibly acquire a talent like this to shore up a position they are weak in, they should do it. It would make competition within the NBA all the better if they did. Imagine a Kawhi + Kyrie pairing, it would be so lethal and both of them are only 25, they haven't even entered the prime years of their careers yet. They're still 2 years away from doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 09:17 PM
 
3,794 posts, read 1,384,791 times
Reputation: 1603
If Kyrie somehow landed on the spurs I think it would be hard for me to watch the NBA after that. It would be way too many super teams for me and the league would just be a joke to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
12,187 posts, read 10,378,713 times
Reputation: 33234
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
If Kyrie somehow landed on the spurs I think it would be hard for me to watch the NBA after that. It would be way too many super teams for me and the league would just be a joke to watch.
Durant going to GSW was a bigger move than if KI went to the Spurs. You probably should have stopped last off season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 08:00 AM
 
2,838 posts, read 1,780,042 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Durant going to GSW was a bigger move than if KI went to the Spurs. You probably should have stopped last off season.
No it wasn't. Talk to all these new Warrior fans on here and Durant was just a "luxury".
Sarcasm meter is running wild this morning sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
12,187 posts, read 10,378,713 times
Reputation: 33234
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
No it wasn't. Talk to all these new Warrior fans on here and Durant was just a "luxury".
Sarcasm meter is running wild this morning sorry.
Yeah, who needs a finals MVP! Steph would have stepped it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 08:59 AM
 
2,838 posts, read 1,780,042 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Yeah, who needs a finals MVP! Steph would have stepped it up.
Yeah well it is Curry's League its been that way for three straight years and Klay Thompson is the best SG in the League. So why not just give Durant away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,506 posts, read 15,466,875 times
Reputation: 11420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Durant going to GSW was a bigger move than if KI went to the Spurs. You probably should have stopped last off season.
I agree... they went undefeated through the West in the playoffs... and if Cleveland had not gone crazy hitting 3's, they probably would have went undefeated through the whole playoffs. That doesn't happen without KD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2017, 05:45 PM
 
17,319 posts, read 10,225,457 times
Reputation: 28847
I think the writing is on the wall for I.T.

Rumors are heating up about a Kyrie for Thomas trade.

Despite Thomas bragging that the Celtics would need to bring a Brinks truck in order to negotiate a contract, in reality Thomas is very expendable especially compared to a player like Kyrie.

While I admire Thomas' heart, he simply has too many liabilities being a short player.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top