U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 06:25 PM

10,433 posts, read 12,445,136 times

Advertisements

I always thought Jimmy Butler was gonna be a franchise player like Duncan, Kobe and Nowitzki.
I feel Chicago should get more for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 06:29 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,208,317 times
I'm guessing dwade isn't too happy.
He opted in and he and butler were supposedly lobbying to dump rondo

Old 06-22-2017, 06:30 PM

3,017 posts, read 1,875,840 times
As long as Butler understands that this is KAT's team, I think the Wolves should be alright. Kinda bummed to see Lavine go, though.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:14 PM

4,214 posts, read 2,845,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I always thought Jimmy Butler was gonna be a franchise player like Duncan, Kobe and Nowitzki.
I feel Chicago should get more for him.
Butler is a really good player, but he isn't a true franchise player. He's been the best player for Chicago for three years, the cornerstone for 2. The last two years the Bulls won 41 and 42 games with him as their #1. True, the Bulls weren't working with much around him, but he still had versions of Pau, Wade, Noah, Rose. We can create a list of players who have won more than 42 games as a #1 with a lesser supporting cast (Lebron, Westbrook, on and on)...

Jimmy Butler is not a #1. He is not a real franchise player, certainly nothing comparable to Duncan, Kobe or Dirk...

However...

He can be a great #2 for a championship contender. It will take the Wolves at the very least 2 years to become a real contender. But when they do, he can be the veteran presence, the solid #2..

It's going to be interesting to watch that squad develop. I've always been a Rubio fan. The Wolves could be a throwback to the 2008-2013 Celtics. Built around Towns as that franchise player, a la in the mold of KG, with Butler carrying like Paul Pierce and Rubio's game is a lot like a young Rondo already. The Wolves have some major pieces to contend. They will be in the playoffs this year. I see the ceiling at #4, but 2 years from now, they should be like Thibodeau's Bulls and a legitimate championship contender for at least a couple years...

Old 06-22-2017, 07:19 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,438,641 times
The Butler trade is a game-changer, and brings more power to the West. I'm excited to see how the Wolves develop from here.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:26 PM

52,076 posts, read 41,881,580 times
Quote:
Will make the playoffs next season for the first time since 2004!
I can't see anyone disagreeing with that statement.

Heck, I see them likely making the second round.

One awesome trade for that franchise.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:09 PM

6,551 posts, read 4,505,106 times
The thing with the T-Wolves re Butler trade, which team that made the playoffs last year would you replace the T'Wolves with?? My guesses would be Grizzlies, Thunder in that order (but if the Clips blow it up move them up to the top of the list).

Warriors: No
Spurs: No
Rockets: No
Jazz: Doubtful
Clippers: Maybe (if they keep core around) to extremely likely (if they trade Jordan, sign & trade with Blake, let Paul & Reddick sign elsewhere)
Thunder: Possibly
Grizzlies: Probably the most likely team to get bounced in favor of the Wolves
Blazers: Doubtful.

BTW, this division has just become really, REALLY good: Jazz & Blazers will be good, Nuggets will be a surprise contender, Thunder with Westbrook will be in it, and now the Wolves! 4 of 5 teams from this division in the Western playoffs this year?? I'd take that bet.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:08 PM

10,433 posts, read 12,445,136 times
Love, Shumpert, Frye and Cavs 2018 1st round draft pick (from Portland) to Indiana for George, Young and Turner... make it happen!

Old 06-26-2017, 07:26 AM

2,841 posts, read 1,783,742 times
Quote:
Love, Shumpert, Frye and Cavs 2018 1st round draft pick (from Portland) to Indiana for George, Young and Turner... make it happen!
In a heartbeat, but I can't see Indy including Myles Turner in any deal.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:34 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,977,674 times
John Wall is trying to influence Paul George to join him in Washington. No problem, love to hear it and to have it happen. But I find his words (below) a little troubling. We have the point guard and shooting guard, no issue there but he singles out Otto Porter while blessing Gortat and Markieff Morris. I'd say Morris is the weakest link, very poor shot selection and usually a defensive liability. Gortat is also closer to adequate than special, he's a C at best defender and was outplayed in both playoff series. Otto meanwhile was super accurate and otherwise solid, he also has the highest upside/growth potential of the 3 including playing more as a 4. And how can Otto read this and not feel betrayed? Especially when this doesn't pan out.

"Look at our team. We are one piece away. We have the point guard, we have the shooting guard, we have the center, we have the power forward. Our 3-man, [Otto Porter Jr.], did great for us. You can't take nothing away from what he did. But, [George] is a guy that can guard LeBron and go back at LeBron. It's a piece that you're going to need to win. If you don't have a guy who can do that, you don't have a chance. ... You got to add another star. You got to add another piece. You got to have three guys. And that's what it's looking like."

Wall was adamant his team needs another star before the 2017-18 campaign. With George on the trading block, it has a chance to land one.

John Wall Says He's Recruiting Paul George to Push for Wizards Trade | Bleacher Report
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball