U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 09:43 AM

52,080 posts, read 41,881,580 times

Advertisements

Boston fans should be eagerly watching how the Lakers finish since they get their pick if its #2 to #5.

If the Lakers end up say 6th worse, Boston's only shot is to get the #2 or #3 lottery ball to pop and that's roughly a 15% chance.

If the Lakers end up 5th worse then their chance of #2-#5 jumps to 46%, 3rd worse is an 80% chance.

So, it could REALLY get interesting near the end of the season where a win or loss amongst the bottom dwellers could profoundly impact some important draft picks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 01:02 AM

47 posts, read 22,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heterojunction View Post
The Bulls are going to be awful. Hopefully they'll be bad enough to get the GMs fired. Team can't improve until Paxson and Forman are out. Completely incompetent
totally agree. tom should still be coach. rose should have been traded years ago.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:55 AM

7,240 posts, read 8,247,607 times
Brooklyn will not only be awful this upcoming season, they will be awful for years to come. Good thing they have that billion-dollar arena.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:18 PM

915 posts, read 1,664,105 times
Chicago and Atlanta will probably be worse than Brooklyn. If someone would have told me this a year ago I would have laughed, but now both these teams have next to nothing. The bottom of the East is as bad as I can ever remember. Just horrible. But, being a Bucks fan it's great. I see no problem making the playoffs next year.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:22 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,705,854 times
Bulls are going to be terrible

Old 07-22-2017, 03:49 PM

11,680 posts, read 7,065,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Boston fans should be eagerly watching how the Lakers finish since they get their pick if its #2 to #5.

If the Lakers end up say 6th worse, Boston's only shot is to get the #2 or #3 lottery ball to pop and that's roughly a 15% chance.

If the Lakers end up 5th worse then their chance of #2-#5 jumps to 46%, 3rd worse is an 80% chance.

So, it could REALLY get interesting near the end of the season where a win or loss amongst the bottom dwellers could profoundly impact some important draft picks.
Judging by last season, 32 wins would put the Lakers out of the bottom 5...a 6 win improvement. Probably going to be very close unless Ball lives up to the hype and is as good or better than Russell as a rookie. With Lopez and Pope added I'll be a little surprised if they win less than 30 games (especially with so many bad teams in the east).

Old 07-26-2017, 09:07 AM

52,080 posts, read 41,881,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Judging by last season, 32 wins would put the Lakers out of the bottom 5...a 6 win improvement. Probably going to be very close unless Ball lives up to the hype and is as good or better than Russell as a rookie. With Lopez and Pope added I'll be a little surprised if they win less than 30 games (especially with so many bad teams in the east).
It's possible, the bottom area around the 5-7th is volatile.

Adds a REALLY interesting wrinkle to the mix as the Laker pick is going to valuable, we just don't know how much so and whom is going to get it and it could come down to the last week of the season.

P.S. Lakers have added some on-paper talent but they have no synergy as most of the starters will be new to each other. We'll see how they do but there is A LOT of unknown there.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:34 AM

2,841 posts, read 1,783,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's possible, the bottom area around the 5-7th is volatile.

Adds a REALLY interesting wrinkle to the mix as the Laker pick is going to valuable, we just don't know how much so and whom is going to get it and it could come down to the last week of the season.

P.S. Lakers have added some on-paper talent but they have no synergy as most of the starters will be new to each other. We'll see how they do but there is A LOT of unknown there.
We will see if Luke Walton is HC material this season. They have the pieces to overachieve this year with the right coach.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:24 AM

4,427 posts, read 4,078,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
We all know the best teams will probably be the Warriors, Spurs, Cavs, Celtics, Rockets, with the others battling for the next spot.

But this is my prediction for the worst teams next year.

Atlanta Hawks- gutted the roster and Dennis Schröder is the best player now.
Indiana Pacers- No Paul George and Teauge= loooong year ahead
Chicago Bulls- No Butler and Rondo = Lottery
Orlando Magic- Its Orlando, they will find ways to lose
Brooklyn Nets/New York Knicks- Knicks assuming Carmel leaves and Brooklyn will be no better than last year.

I can say I was pretty much spot on, with 3-4 games to go, here are they current standings. Dint think Phoenix & Dallas would suck so bad though and Memphis is due to injuries. The Pacers at 46-32 is a shocker to me.

Suns 20-59
Grizzlies 21-56
Hawks 22-56
Magic 23-54
Mavs 24-54
Kings 25-54
Nets 25-53
Knicks 27-51
Bulls 27-51

Old 04-04-2018, 07:53 PM

7,240 posts, read 8,247,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Brooklyn will not only be awful this upcoming season, they will be awful for years to come. Good thing they have that billion-dollar arena.
Guess I have to give Brooklyn a little credit as they surpassed 20+ wins this season. I had them winning no more than 20. That trade they made with Boston 5 years ago is still going to haunt them though. No 1st round pick again, not until next summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I can say I was pretty much spot on, with 3-4 games to go, here are they current standings. Dint think Phoenix & Dallas would suck so bad though and Memphis is due to injuries. The Pacers at 46-32 is a shocker to me.

Suns 20-59
Grizzlies 21-56
Hawks 22-56
Magic 23-54
Mavs 24-54
Kings 25-54
Nets 25-53
Knicks 27-51
Bulls 27-51
Indiana is my surprise team too, although I didn't think they'd be among the worst teams (had them as a 41-41 type team). Dallas and Phoenix I knew would suck. Everyone else isn't that much of a surprise.

Now Memphis, yeah they are really bad, I still can't believe they lost by 61 to the mediocre-at-best Hornets. I have no clue why they fired Fizdale despite Gasol not liking him. Gasol is 33 and is going to be a UFA at the end of next season (I think), Fizdale meanwhile is a young coach whom everyone else seemed to really like and play hard for. The Grizzlies FO did not handle that well, and will regret that decision until they become a consistent playoff team again, which could be a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or