U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 08:24 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,183,857 times

Advertisements

haha Yeah, you can tell it's not football season yet when basketball dominates sports media.

LeBron did his job in Cleveland. Won a championship and made that scumbag owner pay for his big mouth. Bron can go play with the Lakers or whatever. No doubt he's done there. Bron in LA is a win for the media as well. No better place to be seen or act like a celeb which is pretty much what the sports media loves the most, especially basketball media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 08:46 AM

2,834 posts, read 1,773,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
LeBron is fed up with Dan Gilbert, I truly think he will file for free agency after this season. Either back to Miami or the Lakers. He was at a Laker Summer League game checking out Lonzo Ball. Ironic thing, this was the same night as the EPSY's in LA, but he chose to see the Laker game in person instead.
Fed up?

Gilbert has paid above and beyond the last three seasons (lived in luxury tax land assembling old end of the bench talent that Lebron wanted) and made a midseason coaching move that appeased Lebron.

So he crawls back to Pat Riley? Or tries to make the Lakers young talent grow up quickly in the next 2 years and battles SAS and the Dubs in conference?

It sounds like crawling out of one situation to crawl into another that is a 2015 work in progress IF big IF those organizations you mention gut their team and assemble Lebron's chosen talent quickly.

As far as personnel matching- Kevin Love may not be a good match with Lebron, but Kyrie Irving (while he may not be best buds with Lebron) is a darn near perfect match on the court.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:40 AM

1,234 posts, read 635,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
haha Yeah, you can tell it's not football season yet when basketball dominates sports media.

LeBron did his job in Cleveland. Won a championship and made that scumbag owner pay for his big mouth. Bron can go play with the Lakers or whatever. No doubt he's done there. Bron in LA is a win for the media as well. No better place to be seen or act like a celeb which is pretty much what the sports media loves the most, especially basketball media.
Correct me if I'm wrong, it seems like you're saying that the media thinks that if LeBron goes to L.A. he'll be a bigger star and it'll enhance his brand.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:14 PM

51,883 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, it seems like you're saying that the media thinks that if LeBron goes to L.A. he'll be a bigger star and it'll enhance his brand.
Pretty much looks that way but it's something that once was true but isn't anymore in the internet age.

Internet footprint is where it's at especially for the NBA which is wayyyy more global than the NFL and perhaps even baseball.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:27 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,183,857 times
Quote:
Absolutely. I know people think otherwise but LA is still the center of the entertainment world, and if you are the biggest star there, you are the biggest star everywhere. You pack staple center with celebs again and watch what happens.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Absolutely. I know people think otherwise but LA is still the center of the entertainment world, and if you are the biggest star there, you are the biggest star everywhere. You pack staple center with celebs again and watch what happens.

I don't think LeBron has ever had a problem with being the biggest star in the building. No matter what team he's played on, be it Cleveland or Miami, he sells all arenas in the NBA. Yes, L.A. is the center of the entertainment world, I know that. But, he doesn't have to be in L.A. to be the biggest star everywhere especially now with the Internet and social media, you have more access to your favorite players than you did in the '70s, '80s, '90s and even the '00s. And, most celebs, who aren't die-hard Laker fans, don't go to Staples Center to see a game; they're there to be seen. Plus, a lot of sports media are heavily bias for big cities.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:17 AM

8,083 posts, read 5,285,220 times
Quote:
I don't think LeBron has ever had a problem with being the biggest star in the building. No matter what team he's played on, be it Cleveland or Miami, he sells all arenas in the NBA. Yes, L.A. is the center of the entertainment world, I know that. But, he doesn't have to be in L.A. to be the biggest star everywhere especially now with the Internet and social media, you have more access to your favorite players than you did in the '70s, '80s, '90s and even the '00s. And, most celebs, who aren't die-hard Laker fans, don't go to Staples Center to see a game; they're there to be seen. Plus, a lot of sports media are heavily bias for big cities.
Lebron wants to break into Hollywood. He has one movie down his belt but now he wants more. Hollywood is the place to be for that. He is going to star in Space Jam 2.

LeBron James - IMDb

Old 07-23-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Lebron wants to break into Hollywood. He has one movie down his belt but now he wants more. Hollywood is the place to be for that. He is going to star in Space Jam 2.

LeBron James - IMDb

Which city he's played for hasn't stopped him from making movies. He's also produced various TV shows as well, he's had his production company for a while. He's not going to L.A. based on his business interests maybe when he retires but I don't think he's going to L.A. based on his business interests while he's still in the NBA.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:25 PM

51,883 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Lebron should just go to the Warriors too this offseason. Then we can just ignore basketball for a few years.
Yeah. That would be arguably the end of the NBA in it's current configuration.

Ratings would die and their next big TV contract would be horrible.

Valuation of the Rockets would drop by hundreds of millions.

Even a hard cap won't work anymore with all the money floating around in outside endorsements.

I'd bet my left nut the NBA is looking at this issue HARD.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:31 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,153,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah. That would be arguably the end of the NBA in it's current configuration.

Ratings would die and their next big TV contract would be horrible.

Valuation of the Rockets would drop by hundreds of millions.

Even a hard cap won't work anymore with all the money floating around in outside endorsements.

I'd bet my left nut the NBA is looking at this issue HARD.
Durant going to Golden State changed a lot of things. You took an already dangerous team and basically made them lethal. It was like watching Scott Blumstein win the WSOP last night. His chip stack was so large that he could play a large number of uncharacteristic hands and catch two pair or gut shot hands, because his chip stack kept him in control. Just like Golden State, they have a lot players (chips) that allow them to play many different rotations (hands), which allows them more opportunities to win games. It's a better version of the Spurs of the 2000s, because it appears they can likely continue going back to the Finals consistently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or