U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-20-2017, 08:29 AM
 
Location: God's Country
5,188 posts, read 3,501,064 times
Reputation: 8689

Advertisements

Half of them will go for under a mere $15K. So progressive of them. And in 30 years, you get your investment back. Lucky folks out there .... all this and Nancy Pelosi too.


Golden State Warriors to become 1st NBA team to charge personal seat licenses at new arena
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-20-2017, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
3,847 posts, read 3,967,778 times
Reputation: 6494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Half of them will go for under a mere $15K. So progressive of them. And in 30 years, you get your investment back. Lucky folks out there .... all this and Nancy Pelosi too.


Golden State Warriors to become 1st NBA team to charge personal seat licenses at new arena
Odd interpretation... it's what the free market allows, why is this progressive? It's straight capitalism on a very high demand product in a well to do area. Doesn't surprise me a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2017, 09:23 AM
 
Location: God's Country
5,188 posts, read 3,501,064 times
Reputation: 8689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Odd interpretation... it's what the free market allows, why is this progressive? It's straight capitalism on a very high demand product in a well to do area. Doesn't surprise me a bit.

Yeah, I was trying to be a smart ass but didn't bring it off very well.


Reckon I'm just old but remember going to Baltimore Bullet games watching the likes of Wes Unseld, Earl Monroe, et al. for a few bucks per ticket, Oriole games a few yrs. earlier for a box seat at $2.75, and Colt games at $5.50 ... and no PSL's of course. I guess that's what the free mkt. allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2017, 03:16 PM
 
51,876 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Reputation: 32365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Yeah, I was trying to be a smart ass but didn't bring it off very well.


Reckon I'm just old but remember going to Baltimore Bullet games watching the likes of Wes Unseld, Earl Monroe, et al. for a few bucks per ticket, Oriole games a few yrs. earlier for a box seat at $2.75, and Colt games at $5.50 ... and no PSL's of course. I guess that's what the free mkt. allowed.
Yeah. I got tickets in 1995 to see Michael Jordan and the Bulls....2nd row balcony center court was $22 in the midst of their championship run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2017, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Old Bellevue, WA
18,794 posts, read 14,264,314 times
Reputation: 7950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Yeah, I was trying to be a smart ass but didn't bring it off very well.


Reckon I'm just old but remember going to Baltimore Bullet games watching the likes of Wes Unseld, Earl Monroe, et al. for a few bucks per ticket, Oriole games a few yrs. earlier for a box seat at $2.75, and Colt games at $5.50 ... and no PSL's of course. I guess that's what the free mkt. allowed.

I remember going to games at the old Chicago Stadium--can't remember the exact prices, but it was less than $5. Instead of yuppies and glitterati, there were actual basketball fans. The new model is the David Stern model.


BTW what is arguably progressive is the taxpayer funding of pro sports stadiums, also part of the Stern model. Seattle has built 4 tax funded stadiums in recent decades (one imploded, and one lost its team). As far as I can find out Chicago Stadium was built entirely w/ private funds. I don't know about the GSW's facility, but knowing Stern it is probably tax-funded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2017, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,193 posts, read 10,409,482 times
Reputation: 11208
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I remember going to games at the old Chicago Stadium--can't remember the exact prices, but it was less than $5. Instead of yuppies and glitterati, there were actual basketball fans. The new model is the David Stern model.


BTW what is arguably progressive is the taxpayer funding of pro sports stadiums, also part of the Stern model. Seattle has built 4 tax funded stadiums in recent decades (one imploded, and one lost its team). As far as I can find out Chicago Stadium was built entirely w/ private funds. I don't know about the GSW's facility, but knowing Stern it is probably tax-funded.
Nah, it would have to go to voters, and San Francisco residents definitely would not approve a tax to fund a sports arena, especially when they still have a good one in Oakland. Lacob & co. are paying for it themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 07:49 AM
 
51,876 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Reputation: 32365
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I remember going to games at the old Chicago Stadium--can't remember the exact prices, but it was less than $5. Instead of yuppies and glitterati, there were actual basketball fans. The new model is the David Stern model.


BTW what is arguably progressive is the taxpayer funding of pro sports stadiums, also part of the Stern model. Seattle has built 4 tax funded stadiums in recent decades (one imploded, and one lost its team). As far as I can find out Chicago Stadium was built entirely w/ private funds. I don't know about the GSW's facility, but knowing Stern it is probably tax-funded.
With franchises like GS worth around 2bil and making 100mil a year in profit.....it's going to be a REALLY hard public sell to turn around and buy a stadium for a team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Old Bellevue, WA
18,794 posts, read 14,264,314 times
Reputation: 7950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
With franchises like GS worth around 2bil and making 100mil a year in profit.....it's going to be a REALLY hard public sell to turn around and buy a stadium for a team.
We built a tax-funded football stadium here for the Seahawks, owned by Paul Allen, who was at the time the world's sixth richest man. It was a tough sell, and barely approved by voters (50.5%, IIRC) but it did pass, and was funded and built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2017, 08:32 PM
 
51,876 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Reputation: 32365
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
We built a tax-funded football stadium here for the Seahawks, owned by Paul Allen, who was at the time the world's sixth richest man. It was a tough sell, and barely approved by voters (50.5%, IIRC) but it did pass, and was funded and built.
Great post.

In fairness I don't think we can ding owner A for being super rich and not owner B.

But if the franchises are raking in huge cash and skyrocketing in value then it's more offensive to be asking for help with a new stadium.

Just my opinion from a fairness perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 02:05 PM
 
Location: West Los Angeles
1,056 posts, read 1,532,173 times
Reputation: 820
When you actually compare the cost-benefit numbers for NFL stadiums vs NBA arenas, it's pretty staggering. If you will....


NBA Arena
Cost: $300-500 million
Events: 41 NBA basketball games (plus a couple preseason)


NFL stadium
Cost: Roughly $1.5 billion or more
Events: 8 NFL football games (plus 2 preseason)




So an NFL stadium costs THREE times as much to build as an NBA arena, and hosts FIVE times less the sporting events. I can probably make the case that the arena will also host more concerts than the stadium.


Anyway, I'm not advocating the taxpayer funding of anything, but partially funding a new NBA arena is at least a much better investment than an NFL stadium. Fortunately here in LA, we are getting a new NFL stadium that is being paid for by the (mega)billionaire owner of the Rams (Stan Kroenke), no taxpayer funding. Also, it's rumored that the Clippers may build their own arena on that site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top