U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-30-2017, 09:29 AM
 
482 posts, read 251,820 times
Reputation: 1196

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxello View Post
Doesn't Kyrie need to be able to hit a shot with Bron on the bench before he can whine about not being alpha dog? Does Kyrie really want to go somewhere like Boston and lose to LeBron every year?
Kyrie can hit shots with Bron on the bench. He just can't, or won't, defend anybody.

This has been the problem with the Cavs' Big 3 from the get go. In Miami, each member of their Big 3 could and would produce on both sides of the floor. In Cleveland two of the big three lack either the skill or the effort to become elite defenders, and the third one (Bron) seems to have become too entitled to believe playing defense on a regular basis applies to him (although he did do more work on the defensive end during the playoffs).

This means the Cavs' even at their performance peak were more reliant on non-Big 3 role players for defense than Miami ever was. With the cap situation obviously causing the non-Big 3 roster to lean heavily towards older guys, the Cavs never really looked as dominant out there as they were expected to be.

This time last year (fresh off their title win) I was already thinking they'd be better off trading Kevin Love for a more defensive-oriented big. But since they were fresh off the title it was understandable for the Cavs to not want to make big changes at that time, and now Kyrie has volunteered to go in Kev's place.

The other thing is I believe being Alpha Dog is only part of it. Just look at the list of Kyrie's preferred teams: in New York he'd get to be the Alpha, but in San Antonio he'd play behind Kawhi Leonard. There's not a noticeable pattern in the types of teams/situations he's looking at, so I'd presume his biggest motivation really is just to get away from LeBron at almost any cost.

I think after Kyrie leaves Cleveland, LeBron would most definitely have a stronger chance of winning another title before Kyrie does. But if this move is the only thing that makes Kyrie happy, then (shrug) I'm not going to judge.

 
Old 07-30-2017, 01:32 PM
 
13 posts, read 6,824 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
Kyrie can hit shots with Bron on the bench. He just can't, or won't, defend anybody.
I disagree. It was amazing to watch LeBron play 46 minutes vs. the Warriors and see the Cavs be +6 in that time only to be -12 in the other 2 minutes and lose. Kyrie could do amazing things with James on the floor, but couldn't hit anything (or play defense, you're certainly right there) while James was resting. Same goes for the rest of the Cavs too. This also happened in the earlier rounds, although the opposition wasn't strong enough to capitalize on the opportunity quite as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
The other thing is I believe being Alpha Dog is only part of it. Just look at the list of Kyrie's preferred teams: in New York he'd get to be the Alpha, but in San Antonio he'd play behind Kawhi Leonard. There's not a noticeable pattern in the types of teams/situations he's looking at, so I'd presume his biggest motivation really is just to get away from LeBron at almost any cost.
That may be right. I suppose if I were 25 and making almost $20m/year, I'd try to learn as much from LeBron as possible. He may be hard to deal with, I don't know, but it's not like he's a Kobe type that doesn't get his teammates involved. Maybe he thinks he'd be alpha in San Antonio, who knows.
 
Old 07-30-2017, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
1,247 posts, read 641,208 times
Reputation: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Nah it's just California pride.....California love.

UCLA,USC,Dodgers,Kings,Angels,49ers,Lakers,Warrior s,etc

If one is knocked off I'll root for the next home team....

Obviously L.A is home but this is a great state with alot of different teams to root for lol

When Lakers play Warriors,im rooting for my boy Lonzo ball and Ingram....

But when Warriors play the Bulls or Knicks,Im rolling with the California team all day....


No, it's more like bandwagon jumping. "The Lakers aren't good so I'll root for the Warriors", "The Angels suck so I'll root for the Dodgers or the Angels." Then it's like once the Lakers get good again you're rooting for the Lakers. Pick a team(s) and stick with it lol.
 
Old 07-30-2017, 06:35 PM
 
52,004 posts, read 41,844,208 times
Reputation: 32450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Nah it's just California pride.....California love.
BS baaaaand waaaagon.
 
Old 07-30-2017, 06:44 PM
 
52,004 posts, read 41,844,208 times
Reputation: 32450
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
No, it's more like bandwagon jumping. "The Lakers aren't good so I'll root for the Warriors", "The Angels suck so I'll root for the Dodgers or the Angels." Then it's like once the Lakers get good again you're rooting for the Lakers. Pick a team(s) and stick with it lol.
Yep, I've dealt with this before, usually with highschool kids.

-Oh, I have an uncle that lives in LA.

-I always liked <insert college team> so now that <player from that team> is winning well....now I like that team.

And so forth.

Personally, I have the Chicago Bulls. Seen them live. Lived in the city 3+ years and the burbs another 5.

PRIOR to that I was a Spurs fans ONLY because I am a USN (US navy) supporter and respected David Robinson. (*cough* prior to a championship)

So, I had my first love the Spurs and my second love The Bulls where I worked 2 miles from their stadium.

This was the infancy of my basketball fandom.

I didn't start claiming Cleveland because "midwest represent"

I didn't start claiming GS because my relatives live 4 miles from their arena....

I didn't start claiming Miami because I vacationed there once or that D-wade was from Chicago or that his mom's favorite color was the same as mine.

Stop being a poser.
 
Old 07-30-2017, 06:45 PM
 
1,564 posts, read 1,126,324 times
Reputation: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
No, it's more like bandwagon jumping. "The Lakers aren't good so I'll root for the Warriors", "The Angels suck so I'll root for the Dodgers or the Angels." Then it's like once the Lakers get good again you're rooting for the Lakers. Pick a team(s) and stick with it lol.
Bandwagon is completely claiming another team.

You know how many people i ran into that were knick fans rooting for another New york team ? but since the Knicks suck they'll root for the Brooklyn nets if they're in the playoffs.

You understand exactly what im saying but you just rather turn into something else.

EXAMPLE - Lakers are my team,when they play the Warriors i root for the Lakers, When the Clippers beat the Spurs in the 2015 playoffs i rooted for the Clippers. It's not Bandwagon,its just rooting for another team in your state if your home team is eliminated. Now if you don't understand that than agree to disagree it's that simple !!
 
Old 07-30-2017, 06:51 PM
 
52,004 posts, read 41,844,208 times
Reputation: 32450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Bandwagon is completely claiming another team.
Or completely claiming 2 or 3 teams if they're good....
 
Old 07-30-2017, 06:53 PM
 
1,564 posts, read 1,126,324 times
Reputation: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep, I've dealt with this before, usually with highschool kids.

-Oh, I have an uncle that lives in LA.

-I always liked <insert college team> so now that <player from that team> is winning well....now I like that team.

And so forth.

Personally, I have the Chicago Bulls. Seen them live. Lived in the city 3+ years and the burbs another 5.

PRIOR to that I was a Spurs fans ONLY because I am a USN (US navy) supporter and respected David Robinson. (*cough* prior to a championship)

So, I had my first love the Spurs and my second love The Bulls where I worked 2 miles from their stadium.

This was the infancy of my basketball fandom.

I didn't start claiming Cleveland because "midwest represent"

I didn't start claiming GS because my relatives live 4 miles from their arena....

I didn't start claiming Miami because I vacationed there once or that D-wade was from Chicago or that his mom's favorite color was the same as mine.

Stop being a poser.
Sorry Math,This is how we roll in California.
Turn that California Love Song On !!!

L.A is home but i still love San Diego & the Bay area as well.

Obviously Magic,Kareem,Wilt,Shaq,Kobe and many more great Lakers are who I'll ride with forever but it's still good to have other teams in the state win championships.

I rather the Warriors or Clippers win if the Lakers can't.
That's what makes California so diverse & GREAT !!!

I go to sports bars all the time and i get into it with fans that's rooting for the Cavs just because their Pacers or Pistons we're knocked out lol

Last edited by Kobe25; 07-30-2017 at 07:04 PM..
 
Old 07-30-2017, 07:00 PM
 
1,564 posts, read 1,126,324 times
Reputation: 500
So what do you call fans that root for another player who's on another team ? Many fans may like Curry or Durant but they're still fan's of their home team

I see alot of Spurs fans rooting for Lebron against the Warriors lol Of course we know why !
 
Old 07-30-2017, 07:03 PM
 
1,564 posts, read 1,126,324 times
Reputation: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep, I've dealt with this before, usually with highschool kids.

-Oh, I have an uncle that lives in LA.

-I always liked <insert college team> so now that <player from that team> is winning well....now I like that team.

And so forth.

Personally, I have the Chicago Bulls. Seen them live. Lived in the city 3+ years and the burbs another 5.

PRIOR to that I was a Spurs fans ONLY because I am a USN (US navy) supporter and respected David Robinson. (*cough* prior to a championship)

So, I had my first love the Spurs and my second love The Bulls where I worked 2 miles from their stadium.

This was the infancy of my basketball fandom.

I didn't start claiming Cleveland because "midwest represent"

I didn't start claiming GS because my relatives live 4 miles from their arena....

I didn't start claiming Miami because I vacationed there once or that D-wade was from Chicago or that his mom's favorite color was the same as mine.

Stop being a poser.
California is a prideful home state,Cleveland is in the Midwest just like Arizona is on the Westcoast lol

Texas is also a prideful home state

Its probably more Texas pride than any other place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top