U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 05:08 PM

17,308 posts, read 10,218,998 times

Advertisements

Incredible how fast this Cavs team is imploding.

But like I hinted at right after the Dubs defeated the Cavs, this team was going to have a rather tumultuous off season. LeBron was reportedly unhappy and was taking selfies in front of the Miami stadium. And now Kyrie wants out.

This guy says option 2 is most likely:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kyrie-i...213912943.html

Option 2: Trade Irving, try to win a title in 2017-18

Quote:
The first Kyrie trade option is to flip him for pieces that can keep the Cavaliers in immediate contention for an NBA title. The Cavs could seek a lesser point guard plus other role players in return. They could try to add another two-way wing and a serviceable ball-handler. They could perhaps package Irving and Kevin Love (or Tristan Thompson) for a dominant big who can stretch the floor.

Whatever they hunt for as a return package, this seems like the most likely Irving trade scenario. That’s because of the uncertainty surrounding LeBron.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:43 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,876,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Waiters??? Lol. The Cavs can send him anywhere. It won't be for a guy they shipped out.

His numbers this past season - very much hint at being the man...I know you have an overemphasis on defense. You don't like that he has PG by his name but isn't a traditional PG- again dive into the numbers- he's clutch scorer and one of the hardest guys to defend in the league from anywhere on the court

He was the man when he hit the game winning shot last finals and played the 2017 Finals as though he could very well be "the man"

Personally I'd deal Lebron for a superstar big to pair with Kyrie and regroup for a second run in a couple years
Kyrie is a Wing with a Point Guard's body. He's a great scorer, but he can't defend anybody. And he needs to play with a distributor--which for most teams is a point guard who is usually the team's weakest defender. It's a conundrum.

You would be crazy to trade LeBron and buld around Kyrie.

Dion can defend his position and is a decent ball handler/distributor for a 2. Whiteside would offer the Cavs a missing element with rim protection & a viable roll man in the pick & roll.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:56 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,425,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Kyrie is a Wing with a Point Guard's body. He's a great scorer, but he can't defend anybody. And he needs to play with a distributor--which for most teams is a point guard who is usually the team's weakest defender. It's a conundrum.

You would be crazy to trade LeBron and buld around Kyrie.

Dion can defend his position and is a decent ball handler/distributor for a 2. Whiteside would offer the Cavs a missing element with rim protection & a viable roll man in the pick & roll.
Yeah well the problem with that, again, is having so much payroll tied into limited players Lebron strong-armed the organization into keeping (Love, Thompson). And a coach Lebron forced on the team who doesn't know how to fully utilize the talent he has.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:25 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,084,254 times
Default Shades of Shaq/Kobe in 2004?

Am I the only one that's having 2004 Shaq/Kobe flashbacks?

To me there are similarities. Obviously the Shaq/Kobe feud was MUCH bigger, I don't recall LeBron complaining that Kyrie never got him the ball. However the age numbers and overall situation are similar. To wit, LeBron is 32 and Shaq was also 32, Kyrie is 25 and Kobe was just short of 26 if I have my numbers correct. Shaq was the man up to that point was but by 2004 his play had started to decline a bit and Kobe was ascending and so they were at the point where there was an eminent "passing of the baton" on the horizon, if that moment hadn't in fact already arrived, but Shaq wasn't ready to concede.

LeBron is still the best player in the world and certainly still the Cavaliers' best player but he's not going to be the best for much longer and how willing will he be in 2-odd years or so to concede the "best player on the team" label over to Kyrie? Yet in Miami Shaq was very conciliatory in saying that the Heat were Dwyane Wade's team, something he probably was never going to do for Kobe in LA. If the LeBron to Lakers rumors are true and Lonzo Ball turns out to be a superstar, then LeBron might be more willing to be a second banana in that situation just as Shaq was in Miami in 2004.

When I first saw the headlines I thought maybe what was going on was that Kyrie was tired of the "King James drama" in terms of all of the talk over LeBron maybe leaving and he was just sick of the constant "will he or won't be" drama and chit-chatter. However it now seems that it's much like Shaq/Kobe 2004--the student is tired of being in the shadow of the teacher and the teacher isn't ready to give up their post.

Last edited by shyguylh; 07-21-2017 at 08:34 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 09:37 PM

11,679 posts, read 7,054,084 times
I wonder if Kyrie is tired of everything revolving around Lebron. Lebron's team, Lebron's championship, Lebron's GM decisions, etc. At 25 yrs old, Kyrie has played well enough to have a chance at being "the man" on another team...or at least in a 1a/1b situation with a player that doesn't suck up all the attention. And no, the years before Lebron don't count because he was only 20-22 yrs old. He probably feels that he is/can be a top ~10-12 player in the NBA. You can't really be mad at him for wanting out from under Lebron. It's not like he's just an above average role player - 25/6 on 47/40/90% shooting is pretty elite.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:09 PM

167 posts, read 76,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
kyrie wants to be the focal point, and hes not interested in playing with lebron anymore. in other words he doesnt care to challenge for a title, he wants to be "the man"

just dumb, but then he is a flat earther so i cant say im surprised.

edit:
if true, maybe hes not as dumb as i thought. WOJ says he wants to be traded to the spurs.
Report: Kyrie Irving wants to be traded to the Spurs | kens5.com
Cavs isn't a team, it's an operation centered around one individual to give him good PR, held hostage by his 1-2 year contracts, until he quits to join more talented teammates again. I can't blame Kyrie for wanting to be on a real team like the Spurs.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:32 PM

166 posts, read 106,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post

He was the man when he hit the game winning shot last finals and played the 2017 Finals as though he could very well be "the man"

Personally I'd deal Lebron for a superstar big to pair with Kyrie and regroup for a second run in a couple years

It won't be popular but I like your thinking. Trade Lebron for Kawhi, see if the Spurs bite. Get rid of the drama queen and still have a championship run for next year and many years to come with Kawhi and Kyrie.
Kawhi is every bit as good as Lebron but younger. Kawhi outplayed Lebron in the NBA finals and has the finals MVP to show for it in the Heat/Spurs finals when the Spurs won it all.

Lebron has 2-3 good years left for a championship run but with the Spurs he can stretch it out like Ginobili and Duncan from the way the team seems to build each year for a legitimate championship run. Both teams benefit, it's a win win situation for both teams ha ha

Old 07-21-2017, 11:42 PM

167 posts, read 76,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Country! View Post
It won't be popular but I like your thinking. Trade Lebron for Kawhi, see if the Spurs bite. Get rid of the drama queen and still have a championship run for next year and many years to come with Kawhi and Kyrie.
Kawhi is every bit as good as Lebron but younger. Kawhi outplayed Lebron in the NBA finals and has the finals MVP to show for it in the Heat/Spurs finals when the Spurs won it all.

Lebron has 2-3 good years left for a championship run but with the Spurs he can stretch it out like Ginobili and Duncan from the way the team seems to build each year for a legitimate championship run. Both teams benefit, it's a win win situation for both teams ha ha
The Spurs would never do it even if LeBron had a 5 year contract and begged them to take him, Kawhi is 26, LeBron is almost 33.

LeBron has 1 year on his contract (plus another year as player option) and a no-trade clause, so the Cavs can't get much for him.

Even if some team was willing to trade something good for LeBron, LeBron isn't dumb, he would want his new team to keep their talent, so I think he would probably refuse the trade until the Cavs traded him for very little.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:55 PM

11,679 posts, read 7,054,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Country! View Post

Spurs aren't giving up Kwahi for 33 yr old Lebron, but yeah, they should be able to get a young superstar if Lebron is willing. Maybe Towns, AD or Giannis with a few role players thrown in? Anyone like that paired with Love/Kyrie could win the east for the next 3-4 years.

With no big pickups, Kyrie unhappy (if true), Lebron being a year older and the Warriors resigning everyone - the Cavs look like bbq chicken for the Warriors.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:31 AM

17,308 posts, read 10,218,998 times
Apparently Kyrie told his teammates except for Lebron, and Lebron only found out after Kyrie's meeting.

Ouch.

No wonder he isn't intervening with any Kyrie trade talks.

Report: LeBron will not intervene with Irving trade talks | Yardbarker.com

Well, the Cavs should trade LeBron now | Yardbarker.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or