Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 07:55 AM

3,392 posts, read 2,800,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I hope Kyrie knows that he is not going to be traded to the Spurs or Warriors so I hope he is prepared to be the key guy on a bad team.
He thinks a new team is going to build around him. He's played on par with Lebron the past two Finals and he's watched Lebron get his guys- so he thinks he has the same appeal.

He's taken for granted getting to the Finals the last three years and winning a title.

Lebron makes guys around him better. Kyrie could open the floor for another say Jimmy Butler to get good looks but he's not making a cast of old perimeter or post players any better.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:41 PM

149 posts, read 113,357 times
It'll be great to see Kyrie in Phoenix.

But what becomes of Lebron and the Cavs ? Without Irving i don't see them even making it to the finals.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCkidd View Post

But what becomes of Lebron and the Cavs ? Without Irving i don't see them even making it to the finals.
Hard to say without seeing what they get back. I don't think the East has gotten any better and what depth they had last season- I don't even know if that exists anymore.

No disrespect to Boston- but the Cavs had a fairly easy time with them. I think Washington is a more formidable opponent, but IF the Cavs trade I think they could get stronger defensively. Washington would keep a backcourt on their toes.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:31 PM

482 posts, read 398,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Irving seems like he is trying to get out. Cavs management is taking its time (thankfully). Your friend Dan Gilbert, basically told the media that the Pacers got hosed in their deal with George so I don't think he'll take just any deal, and basically put the heat on the new GM to strike it rich or we keep Kyrie. Everyone on here seems to think the Cavs just need to rush to make a deal. Why???? Disharmony at times can be the Cavs middle name. Lebron is business as usual working out with Bledsoe, Derrick Rose and Westbrook.
I wonder if teams are trying to low-ball the Cavs because they think the team wouldn't dare put Bron and Kyrie in camp together after all of this public drama. Gilbert seems to be saying, "Hey, just try me". Maybe if training camp starts with every single player on the roster having to give a bunch of pointless, awkward interviews about the situation, other teams will finally realize Gilbert and his new GM Koby are calling their bluff -- and maybe they'll fork over more handsome offers at that point. It truly wouldn't surprise me to see Kyrie have to report to Cavs' training camp, but I would be surprised if he actually plays another regular season game with them.

And on that note, why in the world is the Melo situation taking so long also? Didn't Melo make it clear he would only waive his no-trade clause for the Rockets? I love it when teams try to act like they have leverage they don't have, then the player just comes back and goes lol

Old 08-01-2017, 10:05 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCkidd View Post

It all depends what the Cavs get in return for Kyrie. I think the Cavs have a great chance of getting back to The Finals. I still don't see Boston as threat even with Hayward, I think Washington would give the Cavs a match because of Wall and Beal.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:15 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
I wonder if teams are trying to low-ball the Cavs because they think the team wouldn't dare put Bron and Kyrie in camp together after all of this public drama. Gilbert seems to be saying, "Hey, just try me". Maybe if training camp starts with every single player on the roster having to give a bunch of pointless, awkward interviews about the situation, other teams will finally realize Gilbert and his new GM Koby are calling their bluff -- and maybe they'll fork over more handsome offers at that point. It truly wouldn't surprise me to see Kyrie have to report to Cavs' training camp, but I would be surprised if he actually plays another regular season game with them.

And on that note, why in the world is the Melo situation taking so long also? Didn't Melo make it clear he would only waive his no-trade clause for the Rockets? I love it when teams try to act like they have leverage they don't have, then the player just comes back and goes lol
Melo doesn't have much trade value and the Rockets I don't think really want him.

I see him finishing up his contract in NY and eventually chasing rings as a bench player.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:01 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,583,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post

I think teams are low balling Cleveland because they know they can. Between Kryie's off season behavior, a rookie GM, and Dan Gilbert being Dan Gilbert Cleveland is not in a position of leverage. Bringing Kyrie to camp at this point only hurts Cleveland more. Teams know that.

As for Carmelo I think its two things. The Knicks are being petty and trying to stick it to him. And the Rockets want him, but are a little short on assets. So they can only offer so much. And New York probably wants more than Morey can give. I personally don't think Houston needs Carmelo. They already have two guys who like playing with the ball in their hands. They need as many 3 and D guys as they can get their hands on.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I think teams are low balling Cleveland because they know they can. Between Kryie's off season behavior, a rookie GM, and Dan Gilbert being Dan Gilbert Cleveland is not in a position of leverage. Bringing Kyrie to camp at this point only hurts Cleveland more. Teams know that.

As for Carmelo I think its two things. The Knicks are being petty and trying to stick it to him. And the Rockets want him, but are a little short on assets. So they can only offer so much. And New York probably wants more than Morey can give. I personally don't think Houston needs Carmelo. They already have two guys who like playing with the ball in their hands. They need as many 3 and D guys as they can get their hands on.
Just speculation at this point regarding the offers.

I've heard reports that Indy offered Paul George for Kyrie before the dealt George to OKC. While things have changed since then, I still fail to see how the Cavs don't have leverage here.

-Kyrie has TWO years left on a deal.
-He can traded at any time to any team and he or his agent can't veto the trade.
-One can only imagine when the time actually comes to make a trade there will be potentially numerous teams involved.

I was very pleased with the Cavs press conference last week
-Dan Gilbert candidly said Indy got hosed and he expects more for Kyrie. ( I don't expect him to waver and take just any old deal).
-While Altman is a "rookie" he has a good reputation around the league. I think it being his first overtaking and likely one of the largest undertakings by a General Manager. I would expect due diligence to the max.

All this chemistry talk...
Do folks outside of the Cavs organization realize that Gilbert and Co. have dealt with the cloud of Lebron staying or going for two stints now? Or Kevin Love on the verge of being dealt for two years? Or a firing of HC midseason with a first place team that made the Finals the year before? Or the constant speculation of that same coach that his assistant Lue was the better choice the first year and a half? I've just named some of the drama, while I'm not saying Kyrie and Lebron on opposite ends of the locker room is healthy- the Cavs will deal with the dysfunction before moving a 25 year old all star for Dion Waiters and Winston Justice

Old 08-02-2017, 11:55 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Just speculation at this point regarding the offers.

I've heard reports that Indy offered Paul George for Kyrie before the dealt George to OKC. While things have changed since then, I still fail to see how the Cavs don't have leverage here.

-Kyrie has TWO years left on a deal.
-He can traded at any time to any team and he or his agent can't veto the trade.
-One can only imagine when the time actually comes to make a trade there will be potentially numerous teams involved.

I was very pleased with the Cavs press conference last week
-Dan Gilbert candidly said Indy got hosed and he expects more for Kyrie. ( I don't expect him to waver and take just any old deal).
-While Altman is a "rookie" he has a good reputation around the league. I think it being his first overtaking and likely one of the largest undertakings by a General Manager. I would expect due diligence to the max.

All this chemistry talk...
Do folks outside of the Cavs organization realize that Gilbert and Co. have dealt with the cloud of Lebron staying or going for two stints now? Or Kevin Love on the verge of being dealt for two years? Or a firing of HC midseason with a first place team that made the Finals the year before? Or the constant speculation of that same coach that his assistant Lue was the better choice the first year and a half? I've just named some of the drama, while I'm not saying Kyrie and Lebron on opposite ends of the locker room is healthy- the Cavs will deal with the dysfunction before moving a 25 year old all star for Dion Waiters and Winston Justice
The Cavs had Griffin to shepherd them through rumors & negotiations before.

More important than dysfunction & rumor is finding the basketball fit. Time & practice are critical for that part. Especially if Kyrie is moved for someone who hasn't played with LeBron before, a full training camp & regular season playing together would be dramatically beneficial for a roster aiming for another return to the Finals. Moving Kyrie at the trade deadline would mean that somebody new has to mesh with the Cavs on a shortened time frame not to a mere "decent" level, but to the sort of telepathic level that great teams use to play together--where playing to a teammates' tendencies is second nature.

Waiters & Justice would make the Cavs better, I think. They add defense and depth at the expense of shooting & scoring. That's what they need to do. Moving Kyrie for PG13 would have been a great move. The right move would have been to move Kyrie pre-draft.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
The Cavs had Griffin to shepherd them through rumors & negotiations before.

More important than dysfunction & rumor is finding the basketball fit. Time & practice are critical for that part. Especially if Kyrie is moved for someone who hasn't played with LeBron before, a full training camp & regular season playing together would be dramatically beneficial for a roster aiming for another return to the Finals. Moving Kyrie at the trade deadline would mean that somebody new has to mesh with the Cavs on a shortened time frame not to a mere "decent" level, but to the sort of telepathic level that great teams use to play together--where playing to a teammates' tendencies is second nature.

Waiters & Justice would make the Cavs better, I think. They add defense and depth at the expense of shooting & scoring. That's what they need to do. Moving Kyrie for PG13 would have been a great move. The right move would have been to move Kyrie pre-draft.
While I agree time is needed to integrate pieces time was also needed in 14-15, yet Cleveland made the Finals and played well considering a large part of their offense was out.

I'm not placing time and practice over being patient and making the right deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball