U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 12:50 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,882,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
While I agree time is needed to integrate pieces time was also needed in 14-15, yet Cleveland made the Finals and played well considering a large part of their offense was out.

I'm not placing time and practice over being patient and making the right deal.
The problem for the Cavs is that everyone else already has made their moves. So they need a team that: 1) has useful pieces to move, and 2) doesn't have their plans set.

The league's top teams are almost out of the picture: Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, Celtics.

The solid-to-fringe playoff teams are mostly dubious partners: T'Wolves, Wizards, Bucks, Trailblazers, Heat, Raptors, Hawks, Hornets, Pistons, Thunder, Jazz, Nuggets, Grizzlies, Pelicans, Mavericks, Clippers.

The rebuilding teams mostly 1) don't have assets, or 2) have the Process: Suns, Lakers, 76ers, Kings, Nets, Magic, Knicks, Bulls.

I think the likeliest partners have to come from the fringe playoff tier: Heat, Hawks, Pistons, Hornets, Jazz, Nuggets, Mavericks, Pelicans, Clippers.

Kyrie makes 18.9M next year, which gives us a salary target for the Cavs to bring back. Here are what I think to be the best offers from each team (for players who increase the Cavs chances this year--picks likely added with most, but would not expect those picks to be high):

Clippers: Patrick Beverly & Sam Dekkar
Hawks: Ersan Ilyasova & Miles Plumlee
Heat: Waiters & Winslow
Hornets: MKG & Michael Carter-Williams
Jazz: Rubio & Rodney Hood
Mavericks: Wesley Matthews
Nuggets: Faried & Gary Harris
Pelicans: Cousins
Pistons: Avery Bradley & Stanley Johnson

I don't think the Pelicans or Hornets are willing to make those moves. Of the remainder, I think the Heat, Jazz, and Clippers packages are the best from the perspective of trying to win this year.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:58 PM

2,842 posts, read 1,787,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
The problem for the Cavs is that everyone else already has made their moves. So they need a team that: 1) has useful pieces to move, and 2) doesn't have their plans set.

The league's top teams are almost out of the picture: Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, Celtics.

The solid-to-fringe playoff teams are mostly dubious partners: T'Wolves, Wizards, Bucks, Trailblazers, Heat, Raptors, Hawks, Hornets, Pistons, Thunder, Jazz, Nuggets, Grizzlies, Pelicans, Mavericks, Clippers.

The rebuilding teams mostly 1) don't have assets, or 2) have the Process: Suns, Lakers, 76ers, Kings, Nets, Magic, Knicks, Bulls.

I think the likeliest partners have to come from the fringe playoff tier: Heat, Hawks, Pistons, Hornets, Jazz, Nuggets, Mavericks, Pelicans, Clippers.

Kyrie makes 18.9M next year, which gives us a salary target for the Cavs to bring back. Here are what I think to be the best offers from each team (for players who increase the Cavs chances this year--picks likely added with most, but would not expect those picks to be high):

Clippers: Patrick Beverly & Sam Dekkar
Hawks: Ersan Ilyasova & Miles Plumlee
Heat: Waiters & Winslow
Hornets: MKG & Michael Carter-Williams
Jazz: Rubio & Rodney Hood
Mavericks: Wesley Matthews
Nuggets: Faried & Gary Harris
Pelicans: Cousins
Pistons: Avery Bradley & Stanley Johnson

I don't think the Pelicans or Hornets are willing to make those moves. Of the remainder, I think the Heat, Jazz, and Clippers packages are the best from the perspective of trying to win this year.
And the teams and deals potentially available during the season?

Old 08-02-2017, 02:56 PM

3,850 posts, read 3,982,569 times
Quote:
You beat me to it. It's easy to pin everything on the off-season and dismay when your team hasn't done much, but the trading deadline is February 2018 (6 months away) and the playoffs are 9 months away. Lots of time to add pieces and at different "prices" as time passes, situations get better or worse, players get hurt, etc.

As fans, we'd like to see Kyrie and Carmelo move already but we'll probably have to wait.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:25 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,882,933 times
Quote:
I don't see a lot changing. If a contender loses a star to injury, that might open up avenues. The Cavs are unlikely to get a better player back (unless the Pelicans would move Cousins). There are a couple of reasons for that. First, the only teams willing to move a better player would have to be teams that expected the better player to move on. Second, the Cavs are above the cap, so there are limits to how much salary they can take back, and Kyrie's salary comes from a contract during a time period with a lower cap--so his cap number is similar to that of basically league average starters signing contracts today, not stars.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:58 PM

482 posts, read 253,083 times
From ESPN:

The Boston Celtics have acquired All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving from the Cleveland Cavaliers for point guard Isaiah Thomas, forward Jae Crowder, center Ante Zizic and Brooklyn's 2018 unprotected first-round pick, sources told ESPN.

What do you guys think? Good trade for Kyrie? Bron? Cavs? Celtics? IT? Who are the winners and losers here?

Old 08-22-2017, 08:08 PM

4,492 posts, read 3,168,117 times
Honestly, it's a push. Cleveland gets a likely top pick from the Brooklyn/Boston trade and 3 players. One will likely never see the court, but IT3 and Crowder are good pieces. IT3 is a very lite Kyrie. He's a huge liability on defense deep in the playoffs, but this team is likely ECF bound regardless.

The winners are Boston though. Depending on how this upcoming season plays out, we could be watching Bron's last season in Cleveland. I do like that Cleveland got a lot of useful pieces. Crowder added defense and IT3 is a playmaker, he's just not much on the defensive end, due to his height. Cleveland will be fun to watch and Cleveland will likely offer IT3 a contract, whether Bron stays or walks. He's not someone I'd offer a near max to, but he's a guy who can put butts in seats. With the potential of no Bron, you have to think with a different mindset to still fill seats.

I like seeing that Ainge finally decided to go all-in with a team and make a push for the NBA Finals. You can only acquire picks for so long. He's also betting on Bron playing his final season in Cleveland too.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:36 PM

1,255 posts, read 646,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Honestly, it's a push. Cleveland gets a likely top pick from the Brooklyn/Boston trade and 3 players. One will likely never see the court, but IT3 and Crowder are good pieces. IT3 is a very lite Kyrie. He's a huge liability on defense deep in the playoffs, but this team is likely ECF bound regardless.

The winners are Boston though. Depending on how this upcoming season plays out, we could be watching Bron's last season in Cleveland. I do like that Cleveland got a lot of useful pieces. Crowder added defense and IT3 is a playmaker, he's just not much on the defensive end, due to his height. Cleveland will be fun to watch and Cleveland will likely offer IT3 a contract, whether Bron stays or walks. He's not someone I'd offer a near max to, but he's a guy who can put butts in seats. With the potential of no Bron, you have to think with a different mindset to still fill seats.

I like seeing that Ainge finally decided to go all-in with a team and make a push for the NBA Finals. You can only acquire picks for so long. He's also betting on Bron playing his final season in Cleveland too.

I disagree, I think the Cavs won the trade because they got more assets in Thomas and Crowder. They also got the Brooklyn pick for next year. Maybe LeBron stays next year, maybe he doesn't, but it seems that it's almost everybody's wet dream for LeBron to leave Cleveland and go to L.A because a lot of the national media wants him to be in L.A. or another big market. I.T. is up in the air depending on how this upcoming season pans out (but everybody and their mama feels the Warriors are gonna cakewalk to a repeat). But, the Nets' pick the Cavs got from Boston is gonna turn into a Top 5 pick, so the Cavs addressed their problems short-term and long-term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or