U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 12:37 AM

482 posts, read 252,843 times

Advertisements

I actually love this move by Kyrie. Some reports are saying he's uncomfortable the team has built so heavily around LeBron without having any guarantee LeBron will even stay. So if LeBron leaves next summer, he's stuck to pick up the pieces and try to compete with a team where he was always treated like an afterthought anyway. If this is true, Kyrie does not sound stupid or illogical at all.

To his credit LeBron is (in my opinion) the second best player of all-time and an exceptional businessperson. I applaud him for taking control of his career in so many situations where other players either wouldn't or couldn't. But in the process he's run over people who were pretty d*mn impressive in their own right, so a part of me feels like it serves him well to experience someone rejecting his agenda.

Sure LeBron won Kyrie a championship, but Kyrie was a former number one pick and rookie of the year in his own right, and he didn't ask for LeBron to come back to Cleveland. Kyrie has always been extremely confident, but understandably took a temporary backseat to have a shot at winning multiple titles. Now that it's clear the Cavs, as they are currently constructed, can no longer compete with the Warriors -- plus LeBron is making constant threats to bolt next summer (via excessive media leaks about his interest in LA) -- why not ask out? It shouldn't be considered controversial for Kyrie to choose his own career path, rather than passively allowing LeBron to choose his path for him.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:01 AM

8,154 posts, read 5,330,708 times
I feel like there is a good chance that Lebron leaves next year. I mean who is going to stay. Kevin L has 2 years under contract but might do a Kyrie and request to be traded if Lebron leaves next year. Kyrie wants to go. Who will join Lebron in Cleveland?? Melo is focusing on the Rockets.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:12 PM

17,352 posts, read 10,270,940 times
It was building for a while, no surprise

https://sports.yahoo.com/kyrie-irvin...160214596.html

Quote:
According to the report, Irving was growing unpleased with LeBron James controlling the ball more than him. He was also upset that James had a friend on the Cavaliers' staff that would travel with the team. Irving pointed to people like Damian Lillanrd and John Wall as simialr players at the center of their team.

ESPN reports that Irving would have long conversations with James to try and get into a rhythm in the postseason. The signs of frustration go back to March 27. Irving finished a game against the San Antonio Spurs 4-of-13 shooting with just eight points. He finished the game, took extra shots and then retreated to the locker room for another long conversation with James.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:34 PM

482 posts, read 252,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It was building for a while, no surprise

https://sports.yahoo.com/kyrie-irvin...160214596.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
According to the report, Irving was growing unpleased with LeBron James controlling the ball more than him.
That's a legitimate basketball reason for Kyrie to be upset. In fact it's one of the biggest reasons I'm not the fan of LeBron I used to be. He stubbornly refuses to give up playing point guard on a roster that already has an All-NBA'er entering his prime at the position. On this team there's no good basketball reason for LeBron to insist on being the starting point guard. He has All-Star teammates who sometimes can do nothing but stand around and wait for a pass from him or just watch him, because LeBron refuses to play off the ball. So Bron winds up with huge stats because of all the extra assists he's racking up, but the Cavs are still fairly easy for elite teams to defend because LeBron has made their offense one-dimensional. He's irrational. He's probably the only 8+ assists-per-game player in the history of the league I'd say plays selfishly.

So it would make sense for Kyrie to look at the situation and go, "I put up 27 ppg in the NBA Finals plus the winning shot in Game 7, then followed that up by averaging 25 and 6 apg over the course of the following season -- all while being thrown out of position! Who knows what I'm capable of if I actually get the touches I'm supposed to get?"

Like another poster mentioned earlier, this does have similarities to Kobe vs Shaq. Kobe once described their conflict by asking, "If you had Wilt Chamberlain and a young Michael Jordan on the same team, how long was that gonna work out?" Personality-wise Kyrie's clearly not as ferocious as MJ and Kobe were, but basketball-wise he thinks he's every bit as good (e.g. during his early career he publicly challenged a still-elite Kobe to one-on-one several times). I love this guy's confidence and how, at least on the court, he refuses to take a clear back seat to anyone.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:49 PM

11,680 posts, read 7,070,631 times
Just what I was thinking. Kyrie sees himself as being as good as Wall, Lillard and probably Derozan/Thomas - all considered the best players on playoff teams. Perhaps he can be a top-3 scorer and average 8-9 assist without Lebron controlling the offense?

Will Kyrie be better with his own team? Don't know, but I do think he'll always be considered outside the top 10 playing with Lebron.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:47 PM

8,563 posts, read 8,901,044 times
Proves what I've thought about Lebron..

Old 07-24-2017, 12:59 AM

3,965 posts, read 2,518,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
This is a game that's just hard to play. Before Lebron, Cleveland was going nowhere. After Lebron, Cleveland was going nowhere. Lebron comes back and they're in the Finals the next 3 years and they get a chip out of it (albeit some luck). I don't disagree that Lebron makes the water murkier, although Lebron has taken this team to lengths it hadn't seen since Brad Daughtery, Mark Price, and Craig Ehlo. We may not like the stipulations of how the Cavs rose back to stardom, but the Lebron effect is undeniable.

Honestly, I don't even think this is so much about Lebron. This is more about every team trying to find a way to beat the Warriors. However, the Warriors were way ahead of the game and basically did something pretty much unheard of. That is draft (3) guys that ended up being elite talents and all have been able to play well together. You also ended up with some very smart vets in Livingston and Iggy. Iggy couldn't be the guy who carried a team, but there was no doubting his talent.

You have teams trying to replicate the last 10 years of the Warriors (since We Believe era), at a much quicker pace, and dethrone them. The Warriors are that type of situation where you literally catch lightning in a bottle. Very rare to happen and very rare to duplicate.
OKC, Im looking at you (KD, Russ, Beard)...

Old 07-24-2017, 04:11 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,211,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
OKC, Im looking at you (KD, Russ, Beard)...
Spurs, I'm looking at you first... Duncan, Parker, ginobili
Hell spurs list could go deeper than that.

#ItsNotUnheardOf

Old 07-24-2017, 06:35 AM

8,154 posts, read 5,330,708 times
It would be funny if he takes his talents to Golden State.

The Spurs or Miami would be a good destination for him.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:41 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,211,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
It would be funny if he takes his talents to Golden State.

The Spurs or Miami would be a good destination for him.
Bookies have set betting odds
Knicks are favored +350
Spurs are 2nd +400
Heat +550
Wolves +700
Staying with the cavs +1000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or