U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-26-2017, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
1,241 posts, read 636,323 times
Reputation: 740

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Well there is the "No Trade Clause" part. So even if you could flip Lebron for let's say Anthony Davis and tell Kyrie: "here's your team", which by the way that's not a bad way to roll for the next half decade. There is Lebron who can veto any trade and has said he would veto any trade.


Too many NATIONAL MEDIA folks are creating a bigger divide than there actually is because it just seems more interesting if Kyrie is in NY or Lebron gets a step closer to LA.

I agree 100% especially on the national media part. They are driving it and making it bigger than what it actually is (i.e. LeBron wanting to beat up Kyrie). And, they definitely want them playing somewhere other than Cleveland especially LeBron. They want LeBron in L.A. because they feel it's good for his brand or it's good for the NBA. They feel he got Cleveland a title so he should move on because he's too big for Cleveland. Tuesday on "Sportsnation" while they were discussing LeBron and Kyrie, Amin Elhassan commented, "There won't be much movement in the NBA next year when Kyrie is a Timberwolf and LeBron's a Laker." Now, I see why that show comes on at a time where most people are at work.

 
Old 07-26-2017, 08:58 AM
 
51,900 posts, read 41,774,553 times
Reputation: 32372
Eastcoast, I agree with several of the points you've been making.

1) A lot of media noise.

2) Cleveland needs to get a BIG pound of flesh for KI if he does get traded. There are some good young teams out there with some good trade bait but if his attitude is that he want's to roll in and me the man then that may not fly.

I personally wonder if everyone slobbering over Westbrooks season made him jealous.
 
Old 07-26-2017, 09:00 AM
 
51,900 posts, read 41,774,553 times
Reputation: 32372
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I agree 100% especially on the national media part. They are driving it and making it bigger than what it actually is (i.e. LeBron wanting to beat up Kyrie). And, they definitely want them playing somewhere other than Cleveland especially LeBron. They want LeBron in L.A. because they feel it's good for his brand or it's good for the NBA. They feel he got Cleveland a title so he should move on because he's too big for Cleveland. Tuesday on "Sportsnation" while they were discussing LeBron and Kyrie, Amin Elhassan commented, "There won't be much movement in the NBA next year when Kyrie is a Timberwolf and LeBron's a Laker." Now, I see why that show comes on at a time where most people are at work.
Stirring the pot for ratings indeed.
 
Old 07-26-2017, 09:44 AM
 
2,834 posts, read 1,774,625 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
I disagree, prime Parker was as good or better than Irving is now.

No PG finishes in the paint better than prime Parker. 2009-2012 roughly parker was as good as any pg in the league.
Parker didn't have to "be the offense" due to team makeup but let's not act like he couldn't have.

People tend to take away from spurs players individually because they played with each other in a system, under a coach that forced players to "get over yourself or you'll be gone" (Stephen Jackson, Richard Jefferson, etc)
Its certainly debatable. When Irving pushed his 3pt FG% above 40% he's become at times unstoppable. I don't recall Parker being feared beyond the arc the same way, but you are correct two different systems. I'd just prefer Irving's skillset.
 
Old 07-26-2017, 09:47 AM
 
Location: California
1,191 posts, read 1,285,808 times
Reputation: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

2) Cleveland needs to get a BIG pound of flesh for KI if he does get traded. There are some good young teams out there with some good trade bait but if his attitude is that he want's to roll in and me the man then that may not fly.
Based on what Indy got for George and what Sacramento got for Boogie I'm not sure there is a pound of flesh to be had for Kyrie. Throw in the fact that Cleveland has a rookie GM and locker room drama teams will try to low ball any offers for Kyrie.

The Cavs need to learn from Indy's mistake. They knew George wanted to leave months ago. Yet, they held him too long. They turned down offer after offer as they were waiting on an earth shattering deal. The deal they ended up taking was really bad.

Cleveland could keep Kyrie and try to mend it. But who is the voice in the organization whom both he and LeBron respect? Who's going to mediate that situation? The proposed deal I saw sending Kyrie to Phoenix for Bledsoe and Josh Jackson is one I'd do immediately and get it over with.

Last edited by CaliDude1; 07-26-2017 at 09:59 AM..
 
Old 07-26-2017, 09:51 AM
 
2,834 posts, read 1,774,625 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Eastcoast, I agree with several of the points you've been making.

1) A lot of media noise.

2) Cleveland needs to get a BIG pound of flesh for KI if he does get traded. There are some good young teams out there with some good trade bait but if his attitude is that he want's to roll in and me the man then that may not fly.

I personally wonder if everyone slobbering over Westbrooks season made him jealous.

The media has played the same card too many times. It was believable during Lebron's first run with the Cavs, now its been overplayed the past five/six years.


Damion Lillard just came out and said- he would love to go to three straight finals. For every Lilliard there are a Westbrook and Irving to go around. Kyrie has had the Finals appearances, the game winning shot and has played well on that stage (dare I say outplayed Curry the last two years). If he wants to go to Sacramento and win a scoring title and finish in the Top 3 in the MVP race- he's certainly welcome to it. He can make late April vacation plans too.


Cavs need to get a young superstar from this and a few pieces that mesh well with Lebron's style of play with the aim in mind of beating GS and right at this moment I don't see a deal out there like this.
 
Old 07-26-2017, 09:58 AM
 
2,834 posts, read 1,774,625 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
Based on what Indy got for George and what Sacramento got for Boogie I'm not sure there is a pound of flesh to be had for Kyrie. Throw in the fact that Cleveland has a rookie GM and locker room drama teams will try to low ball any offers for Kyrie.

The Cavs need to learn from Indy's mistake. They knew George wanted to leave months ago. Yet, they held him too long. They turned down offer after offer as they were waiting on an earth shattering deal. The deal they ended up taking was really bad.

They could bring him back and try to mend it. But who is the voice in the organization whom both of them respect? The proposed deal I saw with Phoenix for Bledsoe and Josh Jackson is one I'd do immediately and get it over with.
Rookie GM -trying to make a splash. I think lots of folks would buy into the drama of trying to win a title and actually having a shot at winning a title- ask Lilliard?


Kyrie is under control for the next two years. He had career year type numbers as a 25 year old and has showcased his talents VERY WELL on the biggest stage the past two seasons.


I don't see how George is the comparison- he has 1 year left on his deal and he's a couple years older. He's showcased his talents chasing a playoff spot the last few seasons. He's supposedly narrowed his choice down to LA after this season- maybe he's true to word with that request.


Boogie??? eh, no.


Having said that, Bledsoe, Jackson and picks isn't too shabby.
 
Old 07-26-2017, 10:23 AM
 
4,491 posts, read 3,154,072 times
Reputation: 4293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Eastcoast, I agree with several of the points you've been making.

1) A lot of media noise.

2) Cleveland needs to get a BIG pound of flesh for KI if he does get traded. There are some good young teams out there with some good trade bait but if his attitude is that he want's to roll in and me the man then that may not fly.

I personally wonder if everyone slobbering over Westbrooks season made him jealous.

I've never liked Westbrook's game much. He's a volume scorer who pounds the ball; however, he really didn't have another scorer on the court with him, besides Adams. Oladipo wasn't bad, but didn't make the leap that OKC was planning on. Roberson was terrible on one end of the floor, but his defense is needed on the other end of the floor. If they can hide him on offense and he can figure out how to drain 2-3 threes a night, he's likely worth his contract. PG changes things going into the 2017-2018 season. They need 4 guys in their starting unit to consistently put points on the board. I think that will help the ball move more and not have it stuck in Westbrook or PG's hands constantly.


I agree that Cleveland needs to get a worthwhile haul back for KI and I hope that haul has no Carmelo in it. He can score, but they need defense and he's not going to play it this late in his career. Phoenix offers the best package. In a perfect world, a likely interesting trade would involve TT and KI for cherry picked Bledsoe and DeAndre Jordan. If you're going to replace TT, at least replace him with someone who is actually defending the rim and can finish around it, even though he can't shoot free throws.


Phoenix gets KI, Clippers get TT, pick and potential additional player from Phoenix, Cavs get Bledsoe and Jordan. Phoenix would have to give up a pick and likely another player to sweeten the deal for the Clippers. The Cavs could potentially decide to move Shump and/or Frye to Clips as well. I didn't fact check this trade, just thinking out loud in a perfect world, but not so perfect that it's unimaginable.
 
Old 07-26-2017, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,184,300 times
Reputation: 4514
It is crazy how going to the finals, the finals!, every year isn't enough. Winning a title wasn't even enough. Some times you gotta suck it up and go with the winning because the alternative is the Magic, etc. Kyrie isn't leading any team to the finals, not alone, not without LeBron.
 
Old 07-26-2017, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
12,163 posts, read 10,344,414 times
Reputation: 33158
I keep hearing the talking heads on the radio mention Minnesota as a possible destination. Who do they think Minnesota will give up for Kyrie? I don't see them even entertaining the thought of Wiggins or Towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top