Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 11:33 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,417,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Sorry Math,This is how we roll in California.
Turn that California Love Song On !!!

L.A is home but i still love San Diego & the Bay area as well.

Obviously Magic,Kareem,Wilt,Shaq,Kobe and many more great Lakers are who I'll ride with forever but it's still good to have other teams in the state win championships.

I rather the Warriors or Clippers win if the Lakers can't.
That's what makes California so diverse & GREAT !!!

I go to sports bars all the time and i get into it with fans that's rooting for the Cavs just because their Pacers or Pistons we're knocked out lol

So, who would you root for if no California teams were in it? Those are probably Pacers or Pistons fans that are only rooting for the Cavs because they play in the same division. Just like the South roots for the SEC even if they're team isn't competing for the National Championship.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:12 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,656,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
So, who would you root for if no California teams were in it? Those are probably Pacers or Pistons fans that are only rooting for the Cavs because they play in the same division. Just like the South roots for the SEC even if they're team isn't competing for the National Championship.
If no California teams are in it than i would root for a Texas team. Anything past Texas and it's considered Eastern conference to me. Years ago i rooted for the Spurs to beat the Heat.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:57 AM

3,385 posts, read 2,775,222 times
Interesting stat I forgot about...Cavs were 20-7 with Kyrie out and Love being the second scoring option during the beginning of the 15-16 season.

Regarding the California Fans...It is different with each sport. I grew up outside of Cleveland and I've lived in San Diego for over a decade now in baseball Padre Fans want nothing to do with the Dodgers or Giants. SD basketball fans have become Warrior Fans, there are few Clippers holdovers from way back and there are some but not a lot of Laker Fans (they have an exhibition game each year at the old basketball arena in town I don't see Laker outpour there). I imagine there will be more Laker fans when/if their success grows the next couple years. It just isn't "cool" here to be a Clipper or Laker fan. It is apparent a sporting good stores. You have 90% Warrior gear being sold, a few LeBron jerseys and some old Kobe gear.

Personally, I can't stand the fickle nature of fandom out here so when my teams exit Browns, Cavs, Indians- I don't root for any of my new home teams. In fact I couldn't stand the Chargers (ownership, fans and a few of their players), I despise them even more after they feel entitled to a new team and new stadium when the fans didn't show up the first time and ownership wanted SD resident and tourists to pay for it.

Midwest fans seem to not have a second favorite team- you basically ride and die with your team and care little about what happens afterward. I think that's the way it should be. I won't root for the Bengals to win a Super Bowl, the Tigers to win a World Series, or the Bulls to win another championship- I'll just hope for good competitive game.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:01 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,410,999 times
As a fellow Californian I'd like to say not all of us are like Kobe25, it is not the norm. Carry on.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:48 AM

3,570 posts, read 2,502,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My point was that Klay isn't the best SG in the league right now. We can agree to disagree.

He's a great 2-way player, I just can't rationalize a guy that didn't even make the 3rd team all-nba last year being called the best SG in the league.
The All-NBA backcourts are stacked with Point Guards. DeMar DeRozan is the only Shooting Guard to appear. The only other Shooting Guard I would add to those two to consider among the best in the NBA today is Bradley Beal.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:52 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,575,686 times
On the L.A. bandwagon thing:

The greater Los Angeles area is BIG. We have a lot of teams. Too many teams if you ask me. Most people here have one or two teams they really care about. For me its the Lakers and USC football. The Lakers because they were the gold standard during my formative years. USC because they heavily recruited (and still do) from my old neighborhood and high school. I grew up watching Trojan games being able to point out guys I knew personally. Those kinds of things build long standing bonds.

But what about all those other teams. Well, I follow them sparingly. Does that make me a bandwagon fan? No, it makes me a guy with a life.

The other thing is SoCal sports fans tend to follow and support SoCal produced athletes. You don't have to be a Warriors fan to root for Klay Thompson. We still root for Paul George, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, DeMar Derozan and others. I have family in Riverside, California. And they LOVE Kawhi Leonard because he's a local guy. That's just how it is here.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:00 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,019,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
If no California teams are in it than i would root for a Texas team. Anything past Texas and it's considered Eastern conference to me. Years ago i rooted for the Spurs to beat the Heat.
You only rooted for the spurs vs heat because you hate Lebron.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
The All-NBA backcourts are stacked with Point Guards. DeMar DeRozan is the only Shooting Guard to appear. The only other Shooting Guard I would add to those two to consider among the best in the NBA today is Bradley Beal.
Klay ranked 9th among SG last year in PER.

Hollinger's NBA Player Stats - ESPN Insider - National Basketball Association - ESPN

Old 07-31-2017, 03:39 PM

3,570 posts, read 2,502,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
PER doesn't account for most aspects of defensive performance.

Also: James Harden is a Point Guard, Jimmy Butler primarily plays the 3, and Lou Williams is a Combo Guard.

Klay is a better defender than every player above him on that list.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
PER doesn't account for most aspects of defensive performance.

Also: James Harden is a Point Guard, Jimmy Butler primarily plays the 3, and Lou Williams is a Combo Guard.

Klay is a better defender than every player above him on that list.
Harden is not a PG. he is the primary ball handler, but is not a PG. no mater what Dantoni wants to call him.

Klay ranked 37th in defensive eff/ real plus minus among shooting guards.

NBA Real Plus-Minus - National Basketball Association - ESPN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball