U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 09:28 PM

3,017 posts, read 1,869,148 times

Advertisements

I say yes (Although Steve Kerr is pretty close).

I personally could have coached KG, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen to a championship in 2007.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 03:08 AM

12,193 posts, read 10,407,297 times
I don't think he has a very impressive system or coaching philosophy, and I completely believe the story of Chris Paul confronting him over Austin Rivers. But the main thing that turns me off Doc is creating the culture of whining and showboating that made them the most hated team in the league (before Durant joining the Warriors anyway). And he's an even worse GM than coach.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:50 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,192,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I don't think he has a very impressive system or coaching philosophy, and I completely believe the story of Chris Paul confronting him over Austin Rivers. But the main thing that turns me off Doc is creating the culture of whining and showboating that made them the most hated team in the league (before Durant joining the Warriors anyway). And he's an even worse GM than coach.
he had his GM privileges taken away recently.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...rom-Doc-Rivers

ive never been a fan but i find him to be a better coach than d'antoni.
mike d'antoni whines FAR FAR more, always has a stupid look on his face, and his dedication to NO DEFENSE needed, hes a terrible coach who has been lucky enough to get surrounded with some very talented offensive weapons that can get along.
its obvious when you look at his records on the knicks, and lakers.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:54 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,119,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I say yes (Although Steve Kerr is pretty close).

I personally could have coached KG, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen to a championship in 2007.
I can understand how there would be those who believe Steve Kerr is overrated, thanks to the number of super talents on the GS Warriors team. And there are certainly quite a few.

However, there are others like myself who believe that superstars don't really coach themselves. They need guidance and prompting. They need to learn humility as well, such as someone like Kerr has been able to provide over the years.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:10 AM

4,205 posts, read 2,822,069 times
Doc Rivers is the most overrated coach of his era (since 2000) and is on the short list for most overrated coach of all time. I hate his style, his philosophy, his know-it-all ness...

That 2008 title saved his legacy because otherwise we'd treat him just like D'Antoni or Van Gundy or someone along those lines. He is not an elite coach, and certainly not as good as he believes himself to be...

Old 08-06-2017, 09:20 AM

3,431 posts, read 5,775,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Doc Rivers is the most overrated coach of his era (since 2000) and is on the short list for most overrated coach of all time. I hate his style, his philosophy, his know-it-all ness...

That 2008 title saved his legacy because otherwise we'd treat him just like D'Antoni or Van Gundy or someone along those lines. He is not an elite coach, and certainly not as good as he believes himself to be...
Who thinks so highly of Doc as a coach to overrate him, though?

Those folks need to be checked first.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:44 PM

3,958 posts, read 2,510,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Who thinks so highly of Doc as a coach to overrate him, though?

Those folks need to be checked first.
Only his employers, and that is all he needs.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
I can understand how there would be those who believe Steve Kerr is overrated, thanks to the number of super talents on the GS Warriors team. And there are certainly quite a few.

However, there are others like myself who believe that superstars don't really coach themselves. They need guidance and prompting. They need to learn humility as well, such as someone like Kerr has been able to provide over the years.
I'd buy this if Luke Walton and Mike Brown didn't do the exact same thing.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:38 PM

12,193 posts, read 10,407,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I'd buy this if Luke Walton and Mike Brown didn't do the exact same thing.
They played Kerr's system, and consulted Kerr regularly while filling in for him. You only have to look at the team's record from the end of 2014 to the end of 2015 to see his influence.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
They played Kerr's system, and consulted Kerr regularly while filling in for him. You only have to look at the team's record from the end of 2014 to the end of 2015 to see his influence.
What exactly is his system? Poor shot selection? That team was already on the rise with Mark Jackson, and you could argue they were under performing then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball