U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2017, 10:10 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,199,926 times

Advertisements

looks like the nba is listening to the coaches (like pop) about players needing rest.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2017...esting-players

Quote:
Some of the new improvements include:

Eliminating stretches of four games in five days and 18 games in 30 days.

Reduction of five games in seven nights to just 40 instances across (1.3 per team), down from last year when it was on the schedule 90 times (three per team).

Reduction in number of back-to-backs to 14.9 per team, down from 16.3 per team. In all, 40 back-to-backs have been eliminated from last season.

Reduction of single-game road trips by 17 percent.

Reduction in single-game road trips over 2,000 miles by 67 percent; there are only 11 of them on schedule.

Increase in weekend games from 549 to 568, much of the boost coming on Saturdays. Previously the NBA avoided Saturdays and Sunday afternoons during football season to dodge conflicts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 10:58 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,972,218 times
Thanks for posting. The NBA hopes this will encourage less resting of players but I'm sure we'll still see plenty. I think it will lead to fewer bad games, the kind where teams look beaten and exhausted from the tip.

But imagine doing this complex scheduling without advanced computing? Good grief, it would be hard.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:03 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,422,845 times
All changes sound good. The last one I'm not sure how much of an impact it would have in ratings; the NFL is seeing decreased ratings so may not be as bad as it seems.
Anyone know when the schedule will be released?

Old 08-09-2017, 12:44 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,199,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
All changes sound good. The last one I'm not sure how much of an impact it would have in ratings; the NFL is seeing decreased ratings so may not be as bad as it seems.
Anyone know when the schedule will be released?
i think the nba's popularity is growing dispite the rumors.
guys like james, leonard, curry, thomas and durant etc are creating a bit more of a following.

i think the schedules come out end of this month or early next month

Old 08-10-2017, 07:47 AM

12,184 posts, read 10,368,595 times
Now when they rest players they will get even more rest. I don't see teams changing their approaches much based on these new changes.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:21 AM

28,502 posts, read 15,458,018 times
I actually liked the compacted schedule. It puts more emphasis on the entire team.

Either your whole team is ready to play - or you wear out your starters - or your starters need to learn to play more efficiently.

All of the players from years and decades past must be shaking their heads.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:20 PM

The game is a lot faster and more intense than it was in past decades, requiring more athleticism and energy. Go watch those old videos and see how much more relaxed the game was with post play and such. A coach whose team is playing four games in five days is going to rest players on that fifth day to avoid injury and would be a fool to do otherwise.
I also read about pitch counts in baseball and fans pointing out how many they threw in the old days. The only modern manager I know who didn't care about wearing down his pitchers was Dusty Baker, and most of his young pitchers ended up hurt. Times change, and coaches need to change with them.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post

i think the schedules come out end of this month or early next month
They released the national games for the first few days:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXoRfPfF...n&taken-by=nba
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball