Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 12:55 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,946,768 times

Advertisements

People are ignoring Kyrie's bum left knee. The guy has missed 40 games in the past 2 seasons, and the 2015 Finals due to his knee problems. I don't think it gets better from here either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 08:03 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,263,093 times
This trade will really show its true colors if Lebron leaves. This is future proofing the possibility that Lebron leaves for another team. The Cavs are likely ECF bound regardless. I'm curious how the coach will run rotations come playoff time. I'm ready for the NBA to start now!

Old 08-23-2017, 08:37 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,988,508 times
Cleveland got the better of this deal hands down. To be able to get Thomas and that draft pick for a player ( Kyrie Irving) who basically forced your hand is amazing.

The other thing in Clevelands favor is that Isaiah Thomas has already proven that he can carry a team by himself. People were pegging him for MVP this past year. Irving has always played in Lebrons shadow,,,, can he carry a team by himself ? I don't thank he can. What did he do for the seasons in Cleveland before LeBron returned to Cleveland.

Cleveland wins this deal

Old 08-23-2017, 09:58 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,946,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Cleveland got the better of this deal hands down. To be able to get Thomas and that draft pick for a player ( Kyrie Irving) who basically forced your hand is amazing.

The other thing in Clevelands favor is that Isaiah Thomas has already proven that he can carry a team by himself. People were pegging him for MVP this past year. Irving has always played in Lebrons shadow,,,, can he carry a team by himself ? I don't thank he can. What did he do for the seasons in Cleveland before LeBron returned to Cleveland.

Cleveland wins this deal
Yup. Thomas is by far the proven "alpha dog" commodity. I think he will work fine with Lebron and will set him up fine, and vice versa. Nothing really changes to be honest in Cleveland since Kyrie didn't play much defense anyway.

But they get the added benefit of Crowder who is an excellent perimeter defender who can shoot 40% from 3PT range with ease.

Plus Brooklyn's pick which will be Top 5 easy.

I think the Celtics paid a lot of assets to get Kyrie, maybe slightly too much, but I'm not one to doubt Ainge's motives. He's pretty much executed one of the fastest rebuilds I've ever seen in league history.

Last edited by CaliRestoration; 08-23-2017 at 10:17 AM..

Old 08-23-2017, 10:11 AM

3,385 posts, read 2,776,044 times
Some thoughts on the Celtics and Cavs post trade.

-Kyrie could win a scoring title next year
-The Celtics are expecting a lot out of Tatum and Brown. I haven't seen much of Brown to really be confident that he can essentially take over for a guy like Crowder. He was playing "okay" in mop up time in the Cleveland/Boston series last year.
-Crowder, Olynk and Bradley gave the Celtics a blue collar attitude and contributed in ways that really helped the C's last year and it won't be easy to replace.
-I. Thomas, although a Boston fan favorite, not the future of the C's so the deal in that regard wasn't a huge deal.
-I don't see Boston making the Finals with Cavs roster and motivated out to prove a point to Kyrie Lebron James leading the way- you can say flip that around too, but I think this favors the Cavs. Unless Lebron takes a step or two backwards.

Cavs...
-I'll take an I. Thomas year headed into free agency year- I'd take a pass then on giving him a max deal.
-I love Jae Crowder. He'll get great looks in this offense and he can D up the Warriors.
-The pick and Shumpert could now be flipped and the Cavs roster is still getting stronger.
-This move does nothing for Lebron's status, but it does make the roster stronger and potential roster stronger which begs the question where will Lebron find a greater opportunity? I can think of one team...Golden St.
-

Old 08-23-2017, 10:23 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,092,278 times
Looks like a good deal for Cleveland- a top draft pick, really good player in Thomas , and a solid player in Crowder.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:43 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,575,981 times
I think Boston comes out ahead here. Unless that draft pick turns out to be LeBron or KD 2.0. But we won't know that for five years.

In the meantime I give the edge to Boston. Generally, the team that gets the best player wins the trade. Irving is better than both Crowder and Thomas. Much better. Crowder is one dimensional. Thomas is only good for scoring, and that's if he gets to keep the ball in his hands. And we know he won't have the ball in his hands on LeBron's team. Plus IT is a major liability on defense.

Irving has his shortcomings as well. But this is where coaching really becomes a factor. Kyrie hasn't played for a coach like Stevens at the NBA level. And Stevens hasn't had a player as dynamic as Kyrie. I really see them gelling well together.

I'll give Cleveland credit for getting the draft pick. That helps them going forward. They have to plan as if LeBron is leaving. Because until he either publicly commits or signs a contract that's what they have to assume.

Last edited by CaliDude1; 08-23-2017 at 10:52 AM..

Old 08-23-2017, 03:04 PM

14,640 posts, read 14,519,777 times
Not sure why fans all over the internet are arguing who made out better...both teams fulfilled their needs. Boston may have given a little too much as Thomas and a high 1st round pick for a disgruntled star is more than adequate. Who knows, maybe they didn't have a spot for Crowder. Either way, the Cavs get a great return and a scorer who can help fill the void of Irving, the Celtics finally spin one of their first round picks into a superstar, and there is finally some playoff drama in the East.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:46 PM

77,795 posts, read 59,941,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
The pick will be moved and it should be used on a player or players suited to bring the Cavs a title in 2018.

The Cavs need to go all in next year. The rebuild if its post Lebron time next year is secondary
I agree with that sentiment.

Trade the pick NOW.

Hate to say it though but it's hard to pull together a bunch of new pieces in just one season assuming they flip that pick right now.

Soooo, you're on a knifes edge here but I'd push all-in on this upcoming season.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:39 PM

3,394 posts, read 6,044,089 times
Cavs definitely got deeper with this trade. I think that will help so they don't run their starters as hard. That will be especially helpful come playoff time. And don't forget that they acquired Rose too so when you gain depth all around, it can spread the minutes around. The question is if the 2018 draft class is good enough to draft a player who can make an immediate impact in 2018-2019.

I think the Celtics got better, too. Irving has time left on his contract so this gives them a solid window to win if he can stay healthy. Him and Heyward should be a solid combo. With a good coach, there's no reason why they can't be back in the ECF.

It was a win/win for both teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball