U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 06:19 PM

3,819 posts, read 1,396,029 times

Advertisements

All-Star Kyrie Irving will waive his trade kicker to complete Cleveland's deal to Boston, league source tells The Vertical.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-isaiah-thomas

Well we know all the Boston vs Cleveland Matchups will be on TNT or ABC. I did not see this coming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 06:24 PM

5,536 posts, read 4,130,530 times
Wow, I think Boston may now be the top team in the east over the Cavs.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:25 PM

3,819 posts, read 1,396,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I;m more excited for the NBA season more than the NFL season now. lol

Old 08-22-2017, 07:08 PM

52,095 posts, read 41,903,893 times
Quote:
Probably but they paid through the nose on that deal.

However, Boston is LOADED with draft picks so it's arguably a win-win for both squads.

Sooo, keep in mind that Cleveland now has a huge draft pick (no worse than #4) so they might be able to trade that to add a piece.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:39 PM

1,251 posts, read 644,670 times
Quote:
No, the Cavs are still the best team in the East because of LeBron. Celtics still don't have enough to beat the Cavs in a 7-game playoff series even with Kyrie and Hayward.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:40 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,832,033 times
I like the deal for both sides, but overall I think Cleveland did very well here.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:14 PM

5,169 posts, read 2,786,449 times
Cavs get Thomas, Crowder, and Brooklyns pick which more than likely will be Top 5 next year? I think the Cavs stole this one.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:37 PM

2,841 posts, read 1,785,417 times
I love Kyrie Irvings game. He made the shot. He can finish around the bucket better than anyone. He will be missed.

I think he made a bad move this offseason.

Im not surprised by the return the Cavs got with this deal. The Cavs weren't getting role players for a player like Kyrie Irving. Crowder will fit in beautifully. At a minimum the pick could be a trade chip for another piece, Thomas can help ease the sting a little with the offense you lose from Kyrie. The young Center may be a decent role player (likely down the road). The Cavs are a better team if they flip the pick for big time contributor this year. They could still be a better team keeping the pick.

The Celtics are probably better as well. I don't know if this move and the others flips a near sweep into a Celtics Finals appearance. From a Cavs perspective I'm happy this move costs the Celtics Jae Crowder

Old 08-22-2017, 10:42 PM

2,841 posts, read 1,785,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Probably but they paid through the nose on that deal.

However, Boston is LOADED with draft picks so it's arguably a win-win for both squads.

Sooo, keep in mind that Cleveland now has a huge draft pick (no worse than #4) so they might be able to trade that to add a piece.
The pick will be moved and it should be used on a player or players suited to bring the Cavs a title in 2018.

The Cavs need to go all in next year. The rebuild if its post Lebron time next year is secondary

Old 08-22-2017, 10:49 PM

811 posts, read 565,803 times
I like the deal for both sides however I think Boston wins this. Isiah Thomas is a very good player that alot of teams would love to have but at the end of the day, he's still a 5-9 point guard. He's a defensive liability and that was before he injured his hip. Did Boston really want to max him out? I don't think so but they may have had to. You could try to trade him but again, 5-9 point guard seeking a max contract...not many teams would give you anything substantial. Boston also has what people expect to be a high pick in 2018 or 2019 because of this Fultz trade.

On top of that, everyone knows it is Boston and Cavs at the top of the east. Even though they struggle at times, cavs are still a tough beat in the playoffs. By making this trade, maybe you break up their chemistry. Maybe you can even look at matchups now and IT will have to play Kyrie.

I think some people look at these trade from a talent perspective but sometimes it's better to look at it from a business side. Would you rather tie up 25 million for the next 4 or 5 years on Isiah Thomas or Kyrie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball