U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 05:05 PM

5,424 posts, read 1,541,075 times

Advertisements

2001-2004, it was my favorite era.

The highest degree of difficult for offensive players forced them to fight/think harder and the men were separated from the boys.

MJ had lost most of his athleticism and had to carry an extremely weak Wizards roster (but they won 9 in a row and were 26-21 at one point, before tendinitis got him), and it was great to watch him figure out ways to score.

Sadly I don't think we'll ever see tough defense again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 01:14 AM

6 posts, read 3,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amenalot View Post

The highest degree of difficult for offensive players forced them to fight/think harder and the men were separated from the boys.

MJ had lost most of his athleticism and had to carry an extremely weak Wizards roster (but they won 9 in a row and were 26-21 at one point, before tendinitis got him), and it was great to watch him figure out ways to score.

Now a days people would complain on that type of defense, i watch those classic basketball games thrilling. But i LOVE the new era of goldenstate ,westbrook, lebron its exicting!

Old 10-01-2017, 07:49 AM

If the NBA doesn't challenge you with tough defense, it means you can score without requiring much trickery/moves.
That's what the NBA is missing today, a lack of moves.
Lots of basic shooting and easy finishing because the defense is tame.
Plus when you do get in traffic, lots of soft fouls and free-throws.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:41 AM

3,241 posts, read 4,570,709 times
Scoring sells tickets. MLB wanted more home runs because that's what sells tickets, especially after the strike in the 90's.

I read about the NBA today, I don't care to watch it. The NBA in the 90's was so fun to watch.

The NBA has a lot of problems:

-colluding to form super teams
-flopping like soccer players
-soft fouls
-zone defense
-weak eastern conference, it's not even competitive
-where is the big man?

The rivalries back in the day had a certain sense of intensity and edge to them. Today?

When the Pat Riley teams played the Phil Jackson teams, things were going to get physical.

Two of my favorite playoff series are the Bulls vs. Knicks in 1992 and 1993. To me, their game 5 in 1993 was the best game I've seen. Triple double by Jordan, Charles Smith stopped multiple times under the basket.

Soft fouls ensure that referees and not players determine the outcome of the game. Soft fouls is what allows guys like leflop james to bully his way to the basket.

Some of these kids say the Bulls were stacked. They were but Jordan, Pippen, Grant, Kukoc were home grown talents. Rodman was an outcast from San Antonio they got for cheap. Guys didn't collude and take less money to form teams.

The stadiums were louder, the crowds more intense.

Guys like Derek Harper handchecked and damn near removed a kidney from guys.

The paint was a place where the big boys were. If you were a guard or small forward, you needed a big heart to be there with the last great big men patrolling that area.

Zone defense allows teams to hide weak defenders. Everyone should play defense. If you can't then you shouldn't be on the court because you're leaving your team to play 4 on 5.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:03 PM

11,679 posts, read 7,040,185 times
^ As far as rivalries go, I think the edge gets taken off several reasons.

-The NBA has worked on softening its image (look at all the charity and social awareness campaigns...I.e "all in" for women) to become more popular - that means players can't really go after each other as hard. Nowadays every word is scrutinized to death and anything offensive could mean big trouble.

-AAU and all the camps have NBA players playing with each other and developing friendships from probably ages 12-18. Basketball players don't play high school ball locally, spend 3-4 years in college and then finally meet other top players at 21-22 in the NBA. In NC for example, we had David Thompson and Michael Jordan playing for small local high schools...now they'd be scouted by 7th grade and probably go to some school that specializes in potential pros.

-Social media has connected players in ways that weren't even thought of in the 80s and 90s. Look at all the players following each other and giving words of encouragement. Harder to make rivalries when players are basically communicating with each other every day.

-The super team era has seen star players moving around and teaming up. You don't really have guys like Jordan, Magic, Bird, Hakeem, Ewing, Robinson, Malone, etc spending their entire careers with the same team creating a "us" vs "them" mentality. "Us" could change anytime with the way stars join forces now.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:41 PM

11,679 posts, read 7,040,185 times
I saw a little stat today: 10 players scored 50+ in a game last season...the most in NBA history. Kinda hits on defense maybe not being as tough.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:17 PM

51,862 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Most of it is due to rules changes, nothing to do with defenses not being as tough imo.

Back in the day you could play up on guys and handcheck their first step.

A lot of this was in response to NBA teams drafting unskilled 18-19yos and trying to turn them into the next great big man...NBA shooting and overall skill and watchability declined.

So, the NBA made rule changes that benefited skill players and increased scoring.

Gotta give them credit, the NBA does NOT screw around when it feels it needs to make image adjustments on or off court.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:21 AM

The NBA actually made rules that benefit unskilled players, because you don't need much skill to attempt an open shot, uncontested lay-up or free-throw.
You don' t need a killer crossover or vicious spin-move or shake-n-bake anymore to get to the basket.
And instead of posting-up and hitting an off-balanced fade-away you just face-up and shoot instead....
Its all too simply now.
The defensive rules are not asking you to use skill anymore, except for long-range-shooting, but even that is obviously a lot more missing than making.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:47 AM

9,619 posts, read 6,597,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Scoring sells tickets. MLB wanted more home runs because that's what sells tickets, especially after the strike in the 90's.

I read about the NBA today, I don't care to watch it. The NBA in the 90's was so fun to watch.

The NBA has a lot of problems:

-colluding to form super teams
This is one of my biggest issues, and one of the reasons I've lost much interest in the NBA.
It can be exciting to watch Lebron run end-to-end, sure, but much of the tactical plays that used to be are no more. Most teams have no chance at anything because star players are all joining to form super teams.

I'd like to see more teams like the Duncan/Parker/Ginobli Spurs, or like the Howard/Lewis/Turkoglu/Nelson Magic.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:38 PM

210 posts, read 96,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amenalot View Post

I don't miss that era at all. There was less ball movement and much more "hero ball" with kobe, Tmac and AI jacking up 30 shots in a stagnant offense. I remember teams were complaining about zone defenses back then whereas teams in today's NBA quickly discourage zones by spreading the floor with ball movement and 3 point shooting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball