U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-03-2017, 03:28 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,196,086 times
Reputation: 1982

Advertisements

Still not enough, I want there to be a reason to play. IE home court or something

https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ed-By-Captains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2017, 03:57 PM
 
2,837 posts, read 1,776,314 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Still not enough, I want there to be a reason to play. IE home court or something

https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ed-By-Captains
I disagree, I wouldn't want a member of the Orlando Magic deciding whether Cleveland holds home court. If Cleveland has the best record in the NBA they've earned that right. Baseball changed it back this year for good reason.


I like this set-up (picking teams) Adds to the intrigue and drama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 04:23 AM
 
11,679 posts, read 7,046,867 times
Reputation: 6387
Hmm, I wonder why this change was made...

Oh yeah, the western conference just gutted talent from a conference that was already inferior. Melo gone. Butler gone. George gone. Millsap gone. Lopez gone. Teague gone.

Watching the west play the east in a even remotely serious game would be like watching the Warriors and Nets in a best of 7.

Only 5 players can play at one time so breaking up all the west stars will allow fans to see more of them play. The east maybe has 1-2 first tier players that people need to see play so relative "scrubs" might play more than Westbrook, Harden, Curry, Davis, Durant, Paul, etc.

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 10-04-2017 at 04:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 01:07 PM
 
1,567 posts, read 823,816 times
Reputation: 1647
The league is finally acknowledging the imbalance of talent between conferences. They'll adjust the playoffs next if the situation gets any worse (Lebron leaves Cleveland for a West team).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 01:53 PM
 
2,837 posts, read 1,776,314 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
The league is finally acknowledging the imbalance of talent between conferences. They'll adjust the playoffs next if the situation gets any worse (Lebron leaves Cleveland for a West team).
I don' think it has anything to do with competitive balance and really everything to do with a game with ZERO intrigue. At least now you have captains that pick teams- maybe some grudges formed and more drama. At the very least you see maybe Steph Curry play alongside Lebron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 02:16 PM
 
1,567 posts, read 823,816 times
Reputation: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I don' think it has anything to do with competitive balance and really everything to do with a game with ZERO intrigue. At least now you have captains that pick teams- maybe some grudges formed and more drama. At the very least you see maybe Steph Curry play alongside Lebron.
The West vs the East this year will be a who's-who of league stars... vs "who?" That's a glaring problem that the league had to have noticed, just like the league and commissioner publicly made a big deal of Durant going to GSW last year.

Team captains picking players doesn't inherently fix the lack of interest from the players. The captains would have to be willing to create drama, and the format change really doesn't increase the likelihood of that. The best and most competitive ASGs that you've seen didn't require conference mixing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 02:20 PM
 
33 posts, read 14,965 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I don' think it has anything to do with competitive balance and really everything to do with a game with ZERO intrigue. At least now you have captains that pick teams- maybe some grudges formed and more drama. At the very least you see maybe Steph Curry play alongside Lebron.
I agree i don't think it's related to competitive balance. In the past few years they've had trouble getting certain players to attend the ASG. Especially the veteran stars. I think if they get the captains to select the team, there will be more of an obligation to play. The NBA is a clique league so it may help to bring up attendance if someone they respect calls on them to play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 02:23 PM
 
2,837 posts, read 1,776,314 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
The West vs the East this year will be a who's-who of league stars... vs "who?" That's a glaring problem that the league had to have noticed, just like the league and commissioner publicly made a big deal of Durant going to GSW last year.

Team captains picking players doesn't inherently fix the lack of interest from the players. The captains would have to be willing to create drama, and the format change really doesn't increase the likelihood of that. The best and most competitive ASGs that you've seen didn't require conference mixing.
I have to admit I'm mildly interested in seeing Lebron and Draymond team up.


And then I think lots of these guys will feel snubbed if a guy they think they are better than is picked over them. What if Lebron picks Chris Paul instead of John Wall? You don't think a guy like John Wall is going to bring an "A" game that night and make it point to put a show on against Chris Paul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 05:27 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,196,086 times
Reputation: 1982
Interesting read
A few picks I find interesting
Kevin love to High, James harden at 15th pick? Lol
All-Star mock draft - how LeBron James, Steph Curry might pick their teams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 12:33 PM
 
Location: California
1,191 posts, read 1,286,180 times
Reputation: 1756
It doesn't really address the real problem. There are still 12 players selected from each conference. That's the problem. The 24 players selected should be picked regardless of conference. But if that happened it would be LeBron, Giannis, and 22 players from the Western Conference. And the league doesn't want that.

It will be interesting to see if this makes the actual game any more competitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top