U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 03:49 PM

4,172 posts, read 4,154,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Well every team can almost play every other team 3x in an 82 game season. They would be 5 games shy of that anyway.
The NBA could just do this ensuring the teams that didn't play each other three times play each other the following season 3 times and leaving the season at 82 games. There is no need to shorten it, especially if the league is still making loads of money. Interested fans will watch when they are ready to watch.

The distance between cities (Portland to Miami or Los Angeles to Boston) isn't as big a deal anymore as it used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 10:49 PM

28,446 posts, read 15,432,286 times
I know I am in the minority... keep it as is... or maybe rearrange the conferences.

In the NFL and MLB - they have separate conferences or AL/NL in baseball - but there are east and west in both.

The NBA is the only league with all east in one conference, and all west in another conference.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:57 AM

2,834 posts, read 1,774,625 times
Quote:
Well every team can almost play every other team 3x in an 82 game season. They would be 5 games shy of that anyway.

Personally I’d like to see a 62 game season instead. But leave the playoffs best of 7 in every round.

Thing is, the other 14 teams fans who miss the playoffs will lose out of games and the league loses money.

I say top 1-16 in the playoffs, and 17-30 in a separate playoffs for lotto picks
I'm watching the MLB playoffs now, honestly the one game playoff was really exciting. The Twins weren't on the Yankees level yet they had a shot with the format- so I tuned in. Same thing with the first round, a 5 game series can result in a more unpredictable result.

Some of these 7 game 1st round NBA series are snooze fests where we know what will happen and we get an extended playoff.

MLB one month and its over, same with NFL same with College Football (bowl season and playoff a month from regular season end).

Old 10-11-2017, 09:16 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,194,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I'm watching the MLB playoffs now, honestly the one game playoff was really exciting. The Twins weren't on the Yankees level yet they had a shot with the format- so I tuned in. Same thing with the first round, a 5 game series can result in a more unpredictable result.

Some of these 7 game 1st round NBA series are snooze fests where we know what will happen and we get an extended playoff.

MLB one month and its over, same with NFL same with College Football (bowl season and playoff a month from regular season end).
i cant stand baseball so never watch, even with the astros looking so good. (or so i hear, i havent watched a game in a decade at least)
football, ehh dont care either.

i like the 7 game series, it makes more sure the best team wins it all.
outside of injury of course, but its very hard for a fluke team to get to the finals. there are upsets, now and then, but generally speaking, the best team in the league wins.
a won and done doesnt say who the best team was, it says who the best team that day, or that moment was.
more often then not, the team that knocks off the top team in a fluke win, gets knocked out the next round. thats not crowing the best team in the league, thats crowning the last man standing. the "every dog has his day" mentality IMO isnt a true champion.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
i cant stand baseball so never watch, even with the astros looking so good. (or so i hear, i havent watched a game in a decade at least)
football, ehh dont care either.

i like the 7 game series, it makes more sure the best team wins it all.
outside of injury of course, but its very hard for a fluke team to get to the finals. there are upsets, now and then, but generally speaking, the best team in the league wins.
a won and done doesnt say who the best team was, it says who the best team that day, or that moment was.
more often then not, the team that knocks off the top team in a fluke win, gets knocked out the next round. thats not crowing the best team in the league, thats crowning the last man standing. the "every dog has his day" mentality IMO isnt a true champion.
I agree on middle and later rounds- 7 game series more appropriate. I like the idea of shortened series with the teams that are less deserving and byes for the most deserving teams in the first round. I'm coming around to seeding/mixing west and east all together.

MLB you need to win your division to be protected from the one game playoff. Football its one and done regardless. I think the element of any given Sunday or any given day period attracts the casual fans - a two month song and dance where half of the playoffs are filled with series with contender vs. pretender - maybe not so much.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:05 PM

since 2010 there have been 13 first round series that have gone 7 games. 4 won by the road team.
since 2010 there have only been 24 game 7s total. so more than half have been in the 1st round.
this tells me the matchups have been a lot more even than you would think.

im in favor of a 1-16, a 62 game season and keeping the 7 game series in all rounds.

i dont care for the "any given sunday" scenario, i prefer to know the actual best team won, not some team that got lucky and knocked off the #1 seed in a single game and then gets booted.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:42 AM

I don't think 82 to 62 will ever happen. Too much $$$$ loss to owners and players.

I think most people prefer shorter playoff span- 2 months with up to 7-10 day breaks in between for teams that sweep- is a direction that no other professional sports league is taking. And with younger generations attention span - two months to decide a champion is an eternity.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:15 AM

I don’t agree, ratings are up in the playoffs from start to finish. Tells me most people are not concerned about the length of the playoffs.

Comparing to what other sports do is pointless.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I donít agree, ratings are up in the playoffs from start to finish. Tells me most people are not concerned about the length of the playoffs.

Comparing to what other sports do is pointless.
The respective sports are always looking out at each other, their schedules are influences by each other.

I don't really attribute the ratings being up as a sign that the system doesn't need tweaked and 5% pretty nominal in my book. Shortening may add more importance (more audience) to the early round games.

I can look at the 5% in other ways...
The World interest in the NBA has increased and you can argue the Warriors and Cavs super teams have stirred interest- not just in Cle and Oak markets but all around the country.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:32 AM

3,241 posts, read 4,573,268 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or