U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-21-2008, 08:23 PM
 
17 posts, read 25,158 times
Reputation: 48

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
You definitely sound way more rational than most Duke fans I know and that's a definite compliment. I was actually pulling for Duke last night when it looked like Belmont might knock them out....them losing would have totally messed up my bracket! I'm going for bragging rights in an office full of men and I didn't want Duke screwing it up for me Have fun watching all the b-ball this weekend and good luck until the elite 8. Then I have you guys knocked out by UCLA.

thanks mom....but wow! UCLA? I have my Dukies knocked out cold by WVA tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2008, 09:06 PM
 
603 posts, read 777,249 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeding_duke_blue View Post
okay okay.....I mainly read around here, but Ill take a shot. I was a senior at Duke when they won their last national championship. Greatest 4 years of my life. First of all, the main reason UNC hates Duke is obvious. UNC always has better players. UNC's had maybe 8 ACC rookies of the year and dook's had maybe 5? In the next paragraph you refer to how many All Americans dook gets. Thats a given. They're probably not going to get any really good big men on the inside 'cause coach K doesn't believe in the big man game. He likes to run 3 or 4 guards and shoot 3s. So no highly recruited big man would consider going there. However, the main reason is that no matter how great the Heels are, they all know in the back of their minds that there is one team that can hang em on any given game day. I'm thinking the reverse is more likely true. I bet dook sweats us a lot more than we sweat them. We didn't almost go home today.

Coach K has different reputations with many people....just as we all do. Ummm yeah, but his reputation is different in that a lot of people have no respect for him at all. It would just be silly to think that anybody could disrespect Smith or Williams. That's just absurd. Only difference is he is on camera representing Duke, and most of us aren't. I dont think if its the fact that he is scum, or just the fact that he DOES have a great coaching record, gives back to the community, etc., and intimidates in the process?? On the other hand, some think that since he gets all these Mickey D's all americans, that he should win more than he does. People love to see him choke with good players. People will gnaw coach K to the bone till he leaves Duke. Seriously, he is just an ole school military hard ass who believes in achieving, even if it means being a dick ......so at least you admit that....and wonder why UNC hates them? NOBODY could ever call Roy that.....to obtain success.....something completely unorthodox in college basketball.

Keep in mind also that Duke demands a somewhat higher GPA for their students to participate in sports. Duke always pushes the "on and off the court success" unlike other schools. Not that other schools dont stress it, they just dont "market" it like Duke. You mean "market" like American Express commercials? Duke people know they are a tight knit group thats not really appreciated by many. (HA) Thats why the haters think we are jerks, asses, etc. But heck, when you are hated by everyone else, you have to surround yourself with your "click". Thats what us Crazies' do! We are hated by everyone and know it, but we don't back down. A pack of dogs will clinch together when they are surrounded by a pack of wolves. ( if that makes sense)

Another reason I think why people hate Duke is because of the social and economic problems that face Durham. People like to blame Duke for the declination of Durham, which I think is crap. That's strange, even their own student body president stated: "I want to start by recognizing what is abundantly clear to members of the Duke community and Durham residents, but that is not often acknowledged by the Duke administration: Duke-Durham relations are, to put it mildly, strained."
Durham's problems existed long before Duke/Trinity College every broke ground in N.C. Tobacco money in the South. Need I say more? Yes, please. A USA Today article suggests otherwise USATODAY.com - Duke-Durham history takes another turn

"Tobacco history
Durham rose as a tobacco industry center after the Civil War. Freed slaves were drawn by jobs in the industry. They created a self-sufficient black community called Hayti(pronounced hay-tie) across the tracks from the white part of town.
Tobacco created steady work for Hayti and gave rise to a class of black professionals: doctors, lawyers, pharmacists and builders. Barber John Merrick, with advice from his customer Washington Duke, opened a chain of barber shops and in 1898 co-founded North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Co. In 1907, Merrick co-founded the Mechanics and Farmers Bank. The companies helped give blacks in Hayti a degree of independence not seen elsewhere.
Until 1954, we had more black homeowners than any other city in the United States because of these ... institutions," Scarborough says.
Duke University arrived on the scene in 1924 when Washington Duke's son, James, gave $40 million to Trinity College to expand into a world-class university. Blacks were initially excluded."

It was 1963 before dook enrolled a black undergrad.


Duke is a private school that receives no funding whatsoever from the state of N.C., yet we have all the goodies that all the other 3 big ACC universities in the state of N.C. have. Yet many people think that Duke is supposed to "save" Durham?? Duke does its part in the community, giving more money back to its surrounding community than UNC, Wake, and N.C. State. But, because its Duke, no one cares.

Many people think Duke is for the "privileged".....however I disagree. I served the military, did the grants and loans...I earned mine the hard way. My family was not rich, nor could afford to send me to a university. MOST of the students at Duke, however, had rich parents, etc....ya'll know the rest. This goes either way I guess.

Then of course the Duke Lacrosse crap arose, which was a total joke. That didnt help the reputation either. Thankfully, in the end, truth prevailed, and Mike Nyfong (UNC grad) was accused of withholding evidence, probably because of a personal grudge against Duke??

Sometimes I often feel that Duke should have been a school from up north. Its a BIG clash when everyone at UNC speaks with a southern accent, and 10 miles up the road at Duke, its the snobby upper class kids from N.Y. (stereotype)

These are my opinions...for the record. I have in no way bashed any other school with these comments, but I guarantee I will be labeled anyway, as a fan, and a grad. I dont like UNC, but I respect the school wholeheartedly. And I appreciate you not bashing other schools, but I don't really give credit for things you're supposed to do anyway. I guess I don't understand how you dislike something you respect wholeheartedly. I didn't mean to bash, if I did, I apologize.

Being a physician, its funny. My office is in Raleigh, and most of my patients are UNC fans. They see my Duke stuff in my office, bash me, chew my head off, and then beg for an antibiotic to cure their strep throat! No, that's what they pay you for, it's your job. Its hilarious. UNC fans are one track minded as hell! (Joking)
Just thought I'd share.
Just thought I'd respond.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2008, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Dallas, NC
1,704 posts, read 2,555,686 times
Reputation: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeding_duke_blue View Post
thanks mom....but wow! UCLA? I have my Dukies knocked out cold by WVA tomorrow.
Well, I did my bracket before watching how bad Duke was in round 1 and how great WVA was in Round 1. My bracket is shot to heck now after yesterday so I'm back to rooting against them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2008, 10:03 PM
 
17 posts, read 25,158 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
Just thought I'd respond.....

dude, seriously...dont take shots at me. your opinions are NO different than that of many. i know people hate coach k. but to say its "absurd" to dislike Williams and Smith is as bias as it gets. i respect them both. they are great coaches. but you wont push my buttons by bashing "dook". am i supposed to feel any different about my team as you do yours?

i have been completely open, even as a duke fan and graduate. i dont jump on the "train" if you know what i mean, so i would appreciate some credit. again, they are college KIDS.

i have read all the newspaper articles. i live and work within the area. im quite familiar with what goes on between these schools. i have ties to many respected personnel that work for both schools. to say duke isnt intimated by UNC is just stupid, for lack of a better term. as a matter of fact, there isnt a college basketball team in the country that isnt when you get down to it.

as far as my job? i dont need anyone telling me what it entails. i was simply referring to the fanatics of the rivalry and how they bash each other, even when they visit my office for medical attention.

again, tobacco and its money. something that we in the medical field have been trying to boot for years. farmers, and industries within the tobacco market have been phasing out for years, due to obvious health concerns. dont blame duke. if you read into it a little more you will see that duke, and its hospital is the biggest employer within the region.

coach k is to american express, as coach w is to coke. whoopty doo. we will never receive any of the profit, so why whine about it?

in reference to your comment about "you appreciate me not bashing other schools, and you dont give me ""credit"" for things im supposed to do anyway"? gee....who crowned you, oh mighty one?

finally, you dont seem to understand why i dislike something i respect wholeheartedly. perhaps i should have worded that differently, and i apologize. they just arent my team, obviously. i dont like cats, but i respect cat lovers....not too off the wall when you think about it. however, unlike some, i will pull for the Heels this year to represent the ACC. may sound stupid to some, but its my problem. ill deal with the complex

for the record, im a yankees fan too.

i openly admitted duke would choke early this year. they didnt have a great team at all. unlike some fans that are too small brained to critique their "perfect team", just because they are a fan. all teams have flaws.

sorry for the **** poor grammar. time for bed. cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2008, 01:42 AM
 
603 posts, read 777,249 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeding_duke_blue View Post
dude, seriously...dont take shots at me.Not a dude, dude. your opinions are NO different than that of many. i know people hate coach k. but to say its "absurd" to dislike Williams and Smith is as bias as it gets. Not really, because there IS NO reason to hate them....even from an objective point of view, these guys are admired and respected by everyone......neither one have given anyone any reason to hate them in the way that coach K has.....i respect them both. they are great coaches. but you wont push my buttons by bashing "dook". am i supposed to feel any different about my team as you do yours?

i have been completely open, even as a duke fan and graduate. i dont jump on the "train" if you know what i mean, so i would appreciate some credit. again, they are college KIDS. I DO appreciate that you have a reason to pull for dook, you went there, I understand that. That's cool. I worked for dook. I respect the university and medical center.

i have read all the newspaper articles. i live and work within the area. im quite familiar with what goes on between these schools. i have ties to many respected personnel that work for both schools. to say duke isnt intimated by UNC is just stupid, for lack of a better term. as a matter of fact, there isnt a college basketball team in the country that isnt when you get down to it.

as far as my job? i dont need anyone telling me what it entails. i was simply referring to the fanatics of the rivalry and how they bash each other, even when they visit my office for medical attention.

again, tobacco and its money. something that we in the medical field have been trying to boot for years. farmers, and industries within the tobacco market have been phasing out for years, due to obvious health concerns. dont blame duke. if you read into it a little more you will see that duke, and its hospital is the biggest employer within the region. In the state actually....I know about the wonderful benefits.

coach k is to american express, as coach w is to coke. whoopty doo. we will never receive any of the profit, so why whine about it? Not whining, it's just the truth......those commercials are VERY different........see newsobserver.com | ACC Now - Williams emotional over commercial

in reference to your comment about "you appreciate me not bashing other schools, and you dont give me ""credit"" for things im supposed to do anyway"? gee....who crowned you, oh mighty one? I never claimed to be all-mighty....but I do believe in doing things because it's the right thing to do, not because you have to, or because you're supposed to, or because someone advised you to do so. So no, I give no "credit" for that moment of silence because that's what coach k and dook HAD to do....that was the LEAST they could do......coack K sported the gold tie when he played at wake forest and everyone praised him. And that was cool. But did he wear a carolina blue tie that night? No. That moment of silence HAD to be. No credits awarded. If they did something above and beyond that, I would praise them. But no, you don't get credit for things you're supposed to do in the first place.

finally, you dont seem to understand why i dislike something i respect wholeheartedly. perhaps i should have worded that differently, and i apologize. they just arent my team, obviously. i dont like cats, but i respect cat lovers....not too off the wall when you think about it. however, unlike some, i will pull for the Heels this year to represent the ACC. may sound stupid to some, but its my problem. ill deal with the complex

for the record, im a yankees fan too.

i openly admitted duke would choke early this year. they didnt have a great team at all. unlike some fans that are too small brained to critique their "perfect team", just because they are a fan. all teams have flaws.

sorry for the **** poor grammar. time for bed. cheers.
Didn't they have like EIGHT all americans this year?? And weren't they ranked in the top 10 if not the top 5 for MOST of the season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2008, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
7,903 posts, read 13,928,071 times
Reputation: 2432
Personally I hate Duke because I always feel they are overrated. Moreso than a lot of the other big schools. They are consistently overrated, and so are their players. I have tons of respect for Coach K though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2008, 08:47 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 2,700,976 times
Reputation: 583
I was told their wealthy kids from New Jersey who come to this college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2008, 09:42 PM
 
603 posts, read 777,249 times
Reputation: 211
Default respect for the rat

I really wish I could -- respect K -- then I wouldn't sound so biased. I've been looking for a reason, any reason, but I keep coming up empty. Maybe you guys can help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2008, 10:43 PM
 
603 posts, read 777,249 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeding_duke_blue View Post
dude, seriously...(not a "dude") dont take shots at me. your opinions are NO different than that of many. i know people hate coach k. but to say its "absurd" to dislike Williams and Smith is as bias as it gets. No, it's not bias, it's reality. Like you said, people hate coach K, that is widely known. In contrast, it is not so common to hate Smith or Williams......Coach K is more hated in general. As you said, "I know people hate coach K", so knowing that, I was pointing out the same can NOT be said for smith or williams......that hatred is not generally accepted like the widespread hatred of coach k. You said that you "know people hate coach k"....you know it, I know it, everybody knows it....but you can't say the same for smith or williams. It's not bias, that's REALITY. i respect them both. they are great coaches. but you wont push my buttons by bashing "dook". am i supposed to feel any different about my team as you do yours?

i have been completely open, even as a duke fan and graduate. i dont jump on the "train" if you know what i mean, so i would appreciate some credit. again, they are college KIDS.

i have read all the newspaper articles. i live and work within the area. im quite familiar with what goes on between these schools. i have ties to many respected personnel that work for both schools. to say duke isnt intimated by UNC is just stupid, for lack of a better term. as a matter of fact, there isnt a college basketball team in the country that isnt when you get down to it. What is "stupid"is to argue an inherently flawed point. You initially praised dook because they're the one team that UNC knew could beat 'em at any given time. I replied that dookies probably feel the same way about UNC. So I never said that dook wasn't intimidated by UNC, in fact I implied the feeling was mutual. YOU presented the original argument....that one of the reasons UNC hates dook is because they know dook can beat them on any given day. All I did was point out the same was true for dook.
as far as my job? i dont need anyone telling me what it entails. i was simply referring to the fanatics of the rivalry and how they bash each other, even when they visit my office for medical attention.

again, tobacco and its money. something that we in the medical field have been trying to boot for years. farmers, and industries within the tobacco market have been phasing out for years, due to obvious health concerns. dont blame duke. if you read into it a little more you will see that duke, and its hospital is the biggest employer within the region. Oh yeah, I know that. I think dook is the biggest employer in the state. But it was born from tobacco money.

coach k is to american express, as coach w is to coke. whoopty doo. we will never receive any of the profit, so why whine about it? I'm not whining about anything. But that comparison is just not valid at all. Coach W did that ONE commercial because coke approached him after hearing him tell a true story about being broke and wanting a coca-cola. Coach W did NOT like the way it turned out, and I don't think he's done a commercial since. So no, you cannot compare that one commercial to the numerous commercials coach k has done. Now he's advertising for insurance companies.

in reference to your comment about "you appreciate me not bashing other schools, and you dont give me ""credit"" for things im supposed to do anyway"? gee....who crowned you, oh mighty one? It doesn't take a crown to figure out that certain things are expected of individuals.....those things reflect a minimal expectation, for which no "bonus points" are awarded, 'cause that's what you're supposed to do anyway. I don't get "credit" for paying my bills. Fathers don't get "credit" for paying child support. These are things they're SUPPOSED TO do. When Eve was shot and killed, coach k was "supposed" to extend some type of courtesy. He had to, because that was the minimum expectation. He did NOT go above and beyond the minimal, so I would not give him any credit, or praise him, or use the moment of silence as a reference to his "good deeds"....'cause that was the least he could do.

finally, you dont seem to understand why i dislike something i respect wholeheartedly. perhaps i should have worded that differently, and i apologize. they just arent my team, obviously. i dont like cats, but i respect cat lovers....not too off the wall when you think about it. however, unlike some, i will pull for the Heels this year to represent the ACC. may sound stupid to some, but its my problem. ill deal with the complex

for the record, im a yankees fan too.

i openly admitted duke would choke early this year. they didnt have a great team at all. unlike some fans that are too small brained to critique their "perfect team", I really hope you're not implying that I am one of those "small brained" fans......just because they are a fan. all teams have flaws.

sorry for the **** poor grammar. time for bed. cheers.
I'm not just a fan, I'm an alum. I'm not just an alum, I'm a TWO time alum. I'm not just a two time alum, I'm a NC lifelong resident who grew up a tarheel fan. I'm not just a lifelong NC two time UNC alum, I also played ball my whole life. In addition, I worked for dook, for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 12:44 PM
 
17 posts, read 25,158 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
I'm not just a fan, I'm an alum. I'm not just an alum, I'm a TWO time alum. I'm not just a two time alum, I'm a NC lifelong resident who grew up a tarheel fan. I'm not just a lifelong NC two time UNC alum, I also played ball my whole life. In addition, I worked for dook, for years.
^^ and??

you're breaking down my posts to the bone? Whats the purpose in over analyzing everything I have written? Its terrific you are a true tarheel, no doubt. Are us Dukies' supposed to be any less proud of our school, team, etc?

I know there are people who hate coach K. Am I supposed to "give in" just because? There are people who hate Jesus, should I go changing my faith?

Duke didnt "have to" do anything regarding the death of Miss Carson. To say it was the least that Duke could do, well, thats just not cool. Guess it isnt possible that Duke fans would just so happen to have a heart, would it? Yeah....we just did it because "it was the least we could do."

This is no shot toward Roy Williams, I completely respect him...He is a great guy. Ive met him twice. However, how come it is justifiable when he does a commercial, but not coach K? Both coaches are respected, (whether you believe it or not) in purely different ways IMO. Both bring different types of attention to their respected programs, whether it be commercials, adds, etc.

As far as tobacco money.....It is what it is. Switching the whole conversation to something purely political will NEVER get resolved. The past is the past.

UNC is a terrific school. I work with some of their sports physical therapists year round. They are great friends of mine. We have had many conversations and shared many laughs. I see the pride and loyalty they have for their program. Believe it or not, all of us get along. Of course we tease this time of year, but we aren't teens anymore. The blood bath rivalry "stuff" phased out shortly after college. To put it in different terms, we grew up.

The wonderful thing about fanfare is that we have the opportunity to cheer for who we like, and wear the hats, shirts, etc. You shouldn't need reasons to justify every little aspect of the team you like, regardless of how many great players they have, coaches, and so forth. We like who we like. There has NEVER been a time I have ever seen a true fan swayed into pulling for another team because of comments of persuasion, whether factual or not. I'm a Cameron Crazy, just as you pull for the lighter shade of blue. We can rip each other a new one all day! Doesn't change much. In the end, we all put our pants on one leg at a time.

Good luck tonite Heels'

Sorry about the "dude" thing, "dudette"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top