U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-06-2017, 10:59 AM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,873,763 times
Reputation: 2263

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
And no matter how poorly the Cavs are playing they will pound the Wizards! Lolololol....

I'm a Wizards fan, but I'm about ready to give up on their potential. They may have already hit their ceiling. As much of a Wall fan as I am, he really struggles in critical contests, or "statement" games. He's not very strong down the stretch, either...

They had a messy Cavs team that's gotten pummeled by everybody, playing the worst defense in basketball, and completely blew a chance to strengthen their bid as a top tier team in The East. These guys think very highly of themselves (particularly Wall and Beal but really the whole team), for a squad that has never even made a conference finals. For two years they've been sending darts at Lebron and Cleveland, and though they play them competitively most games, the results are almost always losses. I don't get it with this team...

They are crippled by average coaching and a roster that just isn't good enough. They can't even secure a Top 3 seed even though on paper, they should be that in their conference. Too much talk, not enough walk...

Both Cleveland and Golden State are gonna face unprecedented challengers from within their conferences this year. I think this will be the toughest road back for both of them to The Finals, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them both upset in the postseason, but as of now, it's way too early to say either aren't favorites. We'll see how they're playing a month from now...
In re: your last paragraph--you are right for the Cavs and wrong for the Warriors. The Cavs have to face the Wiz and/or Bucks who both may finally have the experience for playoff basketball. I don't expect much from either the Celtics or the Raptors in the playoffs. The Pistons are off to an impressive start, but I don't think they have the experience to be an obstacle in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
Random thoughts on the NBA season, part 2:

- As close as Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph are, who knew that Randolph would have to leave Memphis for Gasol to finally agree to dominate some games every now and then?
It's like everyone forgot that Marc Gasol isone of the top 2 centers in the NBA (with Cousins).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
- Danny Ainge swapping out that #1 pick for Tatum suddenly doesn't look so bad, huh?
Personally, I'm low on the Celtics this year. Tatum has been impressive. But they gave up the #1, Thomas, and the Nets pick for Tatum & Irving. Thomas' injury complicates the calculus. Pre-injury, I think he's a better player than Irving. I think the Nets pick is better than Irving, in terms of value to an NBA franchise. The jury is out on the trade(s), but I remain very negative on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
- First name that pops into my head when I think Most Improved Player and Surprise MVP Contender: Porzingis.
I had Kristaps as my MIP in the predictions thread. The Knicks won't be good enough for him to be a serious MVP candidate, but he looks fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
- First name that pops into my head when I think Most Underrated Player in the NBA: John Wall.
Interesting . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
- Historical NBA player Lonzo Ball reminds me of most right now? Jason Kidd. Awesome all around player and floor leader at the point. Terrible shot (at least early in his career). Corny but true Lonzo Ball joke: He should be an actor in a Western, because he shoots from the hip. Seriously though, that fugly shot of his is the only thing (other than time and experience) keeping him from potential greatness.
I agree. When he reaches NBA strength and gets used to the speed of the pro game--watch out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
- I was already a bigger fan of the Celtics than the Cavs, but the fact that LeBron called Kyrie a "kid" about 5 times in less than two minutes in that interview during training camp makes me really glad to see the role reversal between these two teams. So far the Celtics are the class of the East, though I realize championships are not won during the regular season.
Again, I'm low on the Celtics this year. 10 games (especially the first 10) is not a great indication of where a team is at relative to the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
- I'm watching the standings, and there are plenty of interesting things there, but with such a long season none of it is worth overreacting to until about 30 games in.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
- It looks like Kyrie and Al Horford play well together. Also Stevens seems to be a very good coach. Man, this Boston franchise is executing like they have some kind of history to live up to.
Al Horford--he is probably my pick for most underrated player. Agreed that Stevens is a very good coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
- Minnesota has a lot of talent, but they've had a lot of talent at many different points in the past also (K-Love, KG, Marbury, Sprewell, etc.) If they can't turn into a strong team this year I might start to suspect they're cursed -- the team that'll never get over the hump no matter how much talent they have. They don't look too bad so far, though.
They should be a playoff team, but they are still too young and inexperienced to be a major threat to the Western Conference powers. There's a lot to like babout their future, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
- The Clippers appear to be better without Chis Paul. The odd thing is they also seemed to be better without Blake Griffin when he was out. Apparently those two guys just weren't meant to be on the same team.

- The Clippers won't win a title anytime soon, but they will win the battle to be the best team in LA (in terms of regular season record) for the sixth consecutive year.
The Clips got a nice haul for Paul, but they are probably first round fodder for the elite Western Conference teams. Unless they match up against the Thunder . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
- The Magic are one of the top teams in the East? Quick, without looking, name two players on their roster ... I couldn't do it either ... Gotta respect them though. We'll see how long their run lasts.
They have been stockpiling young talent for a while now--they still need some seasoning, but they are one of the teams that is building right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
- The Warriors are so dominant, it'll be considered a bad year for them to "only" win 60 games on the way to their (likely) third title in four years.
The regular season record will be meaningless (but it probably will be over 60). The biggest obstacle to this team is health during the playoffs. Their path is easier this year than it ever has been. I picked them for 69 wins during the offseason. Even with a slow start, I'm happy to stick with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenalot View Post
Ball reminds me of Kidd statistically, but Kidd was extremely entertaining, while Ball is a snooze-fest and doesn't possess the passing wizardry that Kidd had.
In fact not only does Ball lack the passing wizardry he doesn't even look comfortable with the ball at times, a little awkward and clumsy.
Also, Kidd was a really good defender, while Ball is clearly not.
So the only thing they have in common is stats.
Rondo and Kidd are both more talented than Ball, at both ends of the court (even though Rondo was worse at treys).
Ball is a rookie. Even the best rookies are usually a net negative in the NBA. Ball clearly has IQ & basketball skills. He'll need to develop NBA strength, defensive effort, and (ideally) fix that funky shot. Even without the shot, I think he can be special.

You can't compare a rookie to a guy whose career is over and another guy whose best years are over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
He's less than 10 games into his rookie year. I'll give him 3 years before I judge him.

I do understand the backlash though, we've heard some REALLY silly sh*T about what he'd do his rook year from the usual Laker posters that have nothing better to do because they don't have a drivers license yet.
He looks like a high IQ rookie with the tools to be special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2017, 12:34 PM
 
5,428 posts, read 1,543,037 times
Reputation: 2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post

Ball is a rookie. Even the best rookies are usually a net negative in the NBA. Ball clearly has IQ & basketball skills. He'll need to develop NBA strength, defensive effort, and (ideally) fix that funky shot. Even without the shot, I think he can be special.

You can't compare a rookie to a guy whose career is over and another guy whose best years are over.
I'm comparing Ball to rookie Kidd, because I witnessed rookie Kidd, and he was memorable and highly entertaining.
You could see instantly that rookie Kidd's playmaking skills were right at the very top of the NBA.
Ball doesn't look like an elite PG talent, let alone the very top of the NBA.
As I said, the only thing Ball and Kidd have in common is stats like assists and rebounds per game.
The eye test doesn't make me think Ball is anywhere near as talented as Kidd.
And its impossible for Ball to improve his talent level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2017, 01:50 PM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,873,763 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by amenalot View Post
I'm comparing Ball to rookie Kidd, because I witnessed rookie Kidd, and he was memorable and highly entertaining.
You could see instantly that rookie Kidd's playmaking skills were right at the very top of the NBA.
Ball doesn't look like an elite PG talent, let alone the very top of the NBA.
As I said, the only thing Ball and Kidd have in common is stats like assists and rebounds per game.
The eye test doesn't make me think Ball is anywhere near as talented as Kidd.
And its impossible for Ball to improve his talent level.
We disagree on pretty much all of this. We are 10 games into this season, and I still see a lot from Ball. Kidd was definitely not a top NBA playmaker in 94-95. I mean, this was peak John Stockton-era NBA. Kidd had talent, but he had a long way to go.

Ball has vision, IQ, passing and ball handling ability. He has good size for his position, and useful athleticism. More than anyone else, I think he reminds me of rookie Penny Hardaway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2017, 08:09 AM
 
5,428 posts, read 1,543,037 times
Reputation: 2264
^ Yeah I'm talking about talent, not production or even execution.
I know Stockton was far ahead of rookie Kidd.
But I'm talking about talent, something you can detect instantly in a player.
Kidd showed the talent from day one.
It was obvious his PG instincts and talent was elite.
Ball looks far less natural and mechanical, compared to rookie Kidd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2017, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Whittier
3,007 posts, read 5,103,767 times
Reputation: 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by amenalot View Post
I'm comparing Ball to rookie Kidd, because I witnessed rookie Kidd, and he was memorable and highly entertaining.
You could see instantly that rookie Kidd's playmaking skills were right at the very top of the NBA.
Ball doesn't look like an elite PG talent, let alone the very top of the NBA.
As I said, the only thing Ball and Kidd have in common is stats like assists and rebounds per game.
The eye test doesn't make me think Ball is anywhere near as talented as Kidd.
And its impossible for Ball to improve his talent level.

I think it's very tough to compare players from different eras. I also think it's a case of rose colored glasses.

Ball literally has eerily similar stats to Kidd and has already impacted the play a very young Lakers team. His BBIQ is very good and he's a couple of years younger than Kidd was his rookie year. He's had quite a few highlights already, so I don't know what games you've been watching.

Ball's shot is horrendous, but as a few insiders have pointed out, it's not the look of his arms, but his footwork that's holding him back. Ball also needs to be more assertive, drive more, etc. He has the speed and length, but can't finish at the rim. He also needs to work on his PnR, spot up shooting, popping shots off of screens, etc.. He also needs to work on his post up game, which is non-existent. There is PLENTY he can work on on the offensive and defensive end.

I've also noticed Lonzo thinks about or can "feel out" for the lack of a better phrase the teams that he is playing to a fault. Lonzo dominated in Summer League vs inferior talent, and took over the Suns game. But vs. the better teams he seems to clam up with his aggressiveness, and reverts to an ultra-distributor, where he sits back on his heels and feels out the defense too much, instead of pushing the pace. That's another area where he can improve greatly.

Once he learns to navigate the NBA and change his game up a bit he can at least be a 15, 10 and 10 guy and perhaps even higher to a 20, 10 and 10 guy.

I wish Ball was more like Ben Simmons (and I think a lot of Laker fans secretly do), but then you realize Simmons is a beast and more LeBron sized than Lonzo, but that's just the way it is. At these ages a year or two could make the difference in size, knowledge, etc.

Let's see how the year pans out. From all reports Lonzo is a humble dude who likes to learn, so we'll see what happens. I think he'll get better, more comfortable as time goes on. I believe his shot will improve and he'll get more comfortable going to the rim. But during the off season he needs to get a bit bigger, work on his footwork, speed and mindset when it comes to being aggressive offensively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2017, 12:28 PM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,873,763 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I think it's very tough to compare players from different eras. I also think it's a case of rose colored glasses.

Ball literally has eerily similar stats to Kidd and has already impacted the play a very young Lakers team. His BBIQ is very good and he's a couple of years younger than Kidd was his rookie year. He's had quite a few highlights already, so I don't know what games you've been watching.

Ball's shot is horrendous, but as a few insiders have pointed out, it's not the look of his arms, but his footwork that's holding him back. Ball also needs to be more assertive, drive more, etc. He has the speed and length, but can't finish at the rim. He also needs to work on his PnR, spot up shooting, popping shots off of screens, etc.. He also needs to work on his post up game, which is non-existent. There is PLENTY he can work on on the offensive and defensive end.

I've also noticed Lonzo thinks about or can "feel out" for the lack of a better phrase the teams that he is playing to a fault. Lonzo dominated in Summer League vs inferior talent, and took over the Suns game. But vs. the better teams he seems to clam up with his aggressiveness, and reverts to an ultra-distributor, where he sits back on his heels and feels out the defense too much, instead of pushing the pace. That's another area where he can improve greatly.

Once he learns to navigate the NBA and change his game up a bit he can at least be a 15, 10 and 10 guy and perhaps even higher to a 20, 10 and 10 guy.

I wish Ball was more like Ben Simmons (and I think a lot of Laker fans secretly do), but then you realize Simmons is a beast and more LeBron sized than Lonzo, but that's just the way it is. At these ages a year or two could make the difference in size, knowledge, etc.

Let's see how the year pans out. From all reports Lonzo is a humble dude who likes to learn, so we'll see what happens. I think he'll get better, more comfortable as time goes on. I believe his shot will improve and he'll get more comfortable going to the rim. But during the off season he needs to get a bit bigger, work on his footwork, speed and mindset when it comes to being aggressive offensively.
I think this is right. While NBA Awards disagree, Simmons isn't really a rookie anymore. He had a red shirt year as a pro. He should be further along than Ball at this point.

We've already seen Ball's capabilities--transition attack, crisp passing, and vision. Rookies improve. He has all the tools you can realistically hope for. With his size and athleticism with the ball, the Lakers shouldn't worry too much about his jump shot. As long as he develops strength and defensive effort, he'll be an excellent pro. Finishing will come as he gets used to NBA speed and defense.

The Lakers do need to think about the team they will build around him. He'll need capable shooters and a pick and roll/pop big. Julius Randle has shown flashes of being a capable operator in pick & roll situations, but he's far enough into his career that I don't like betting on him to become that guy in a starting role.

They should probably chase Nerlens Noel, Derrick Favors, and Deandre Jordan, with backup plans like Thaddeus Young and Greg Monroe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2017, 03:36 PM
 
1,742 posts, read 4,998,814 times
Reputation: 714
Suns swap Eric Bledsoe to Bucks for Greg Monroe, 2018 1st and 2nd picks lottery protected. Will be interesting to watch Bledsoe and Giannis, and how they do in the east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2017, 04:15 PM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,873,763 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
Suns swap Eric Bledsoe to Bucks for Greg Monroe, 2018 1st and 2nd picks lottery protected. Will be interesting to watch Bledsoe and Giannis, and how they do in the east.
I think it's a fair swap, and it should be interesting to add Bledsoe to the already long Bucks squad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2017, 03:19 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,199 posts, read 10,411,824 times
Reputation: 11213
Tonight's Wolves/Warriors game should be a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2017, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Akron, OH
1,615 posts, read 1,589,311 times
Reputation: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
Suns swap Eric Bledsoe to Bucks for Greg Monroe, 2018 1st and 2nd picks lottery protected. Will be interesting to watch Bledsoe and Giannis, and how they do in the east.
I think Giannis is highly overrated. He puts up good stats but his team doesnt do any good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top