U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2017, 09:34 PM

3,789 posts, read 1,375,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
No one should take "streaks" too seriously, only the solid gameplay it takes to create them. A comeback win is still a win, and shows fortitude and the ability to grind.
Even if it's against the worst team in the east and west?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 02:32 AM

11,679 posts, read 7,048,359 times
Even the worst NBA teams can have a good night and be difficult to beat. Mavs suck and frequently get blown out but have been within 6 or won against the Sixers, Bucks, Pelicans, Spurs and Wizards.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:49 PM

28,493 posts, read 15,447,826 times
Rockets trailed the Knicks 29-7.

Between that point and the end of the 3rdQ, Rockets have out scored the Knicks 88-45.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Rockets trailed the Knicks 29-7.

Between that point and the end of the 3rdQ, Rockets have out scored the Knicks 88-45.

Couldn't see this game because it was blacked out on NBATV. Not sure why a game in Houston between thew knicks and rockets was blacked out in the Philadelphia area.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:32 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,247,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Even if it's against the worst team in the east and west?
Yes. Even the worst NBA team is still made up of professionals who are paid millions of dollars each year for their services.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:46 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,875,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
Random thoughts on the NBA season, part 3:

- Brad Stevens for Coach of the Year.
I think that's fair. I would add D'Antoni and maybe Van Gundy's hats in the ring.

Quote:
- The Cavs have finally figured out that no matter how much of a liability he is on defense, Kevin Love should still be a go-to offensive player.
Love has been unjustifiably beat up--he has done what his team needs ever since coming to Cleveland.

Quote:
- DeMarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis are both putting up numbers similar to what Shaq did in his prime. The Pelicans' problem/limitation: weak perimter game. They don't have strong outside shooting. And, uh, Jrue Holiday is their third best player ... To be fair, they appear to be the type of team with strengths that cater more to playoff-style basketball than regular season ball. I still think they could be dangerous in the long-term.
The Pels are good. I don't think it makes sense to have both Cousins and Davis as team centerpieces, but Gentry is probably the best coach to try to figure it out. This team is really fun to watch.

Quote:
- I'm beginning to see how Chris Paul really could be the difference-maker in Houston, and make them seriously competitive for a title. He doesn't make the difference on a game-by-game basis necessarily; the Beard's offensive game is ferocious enough to slay opposing defenses without much help. It's more so a depth thing, having someone to take pressure off the Beard every once in a while. Because Houston fans have got to be sick and tired of Harden having MVP-caliber regular seasons only to crash early in the playoffs.
Paul remains an elite player. Houston definitely got better. The big question, I think, is whether this team will be capable of amping up the defense when they play the Warriors and Spurs in the playoffs.

Quote:
- I'm trying to come up with one good excuse for Washington to not be better than they are ... Nope, can't think of one ...
I think they are a poorly coached team. They don't move the ball terribly well and their offense is not generating the kind of looks that their talent should generate. Scotty's gotta go.

Quote:
- I've previously said the Clippers would have a better regular-season record than the Lakers again this year. Clearly I was wrong.
Maybe.

Quote:
- Kawhi? Where you at, bro? You gonna play this year or what? I'm not a fan of mysterious injuries on superstar players.
Yeah, this is not good. Here's to hoping he comes back looking like the player we knew.

Quote:
- The KD vs Westbrook War: the first season after they split KD got a ring, while Westbrook got an MVP and the triple-double record. They should both call it a draw and move on. Quit getting overly emotional about playing against each other ...
Eh

Quote:
- My MVP Ballot so far: 5-Giannis, 4-Porzingis, 3-LeBron, 2-Kyrie, 1-Harden.
Harden
Horford
Steph
LBJ

Quote:
- Remember how everyone thought Kobe was invincible from a durability standpoint, then he had the Achilles injury at age 34 and was never a good player again? Everyone has a limit. So if I'm a Cavs fan, I'd start to take a look at LeBron's minutes and his mileage with serious scrutiny. I'll go ahead and give him the rest of this season, but after this I feel like -- in terms of athleticism -- he might give out at any moment. Seriously.
They ought to hope that IT comes back & relieves some of the workload.

Quote:
- Why does it seem like triple doubles come to players so much easier these days than they used to?
Pace is a big piece. As is the trend towards ball movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
They are now 17-3 while giving up a league best 95 ppg - impressive any way you slice it. Especially impressive with no Heyward and their only veteran “all star” leader being 31 yr old Horford. Kyrie, Brown, Tatum, Rozier and Smart are all 25 or younger.
No need for the scare quotes on Horford's all star. He should start in the East this year, and--if voters know what they're doing--he should be on an all-NBA team.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:19 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,286,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
It was hard to take the streak seriously when they had to fight their way back against two of the worst teams in the NBA.
Double digit win streaks in the NBA should always be taken seriously. The mental power it takes to get up to play every single night is not easy to summon. Their 16 game win streak is impressive no matter how you slice it.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:52 PM

5,432 posts, read 1,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
Double digit win streaks in the NBA should always be taken seriously. The mental power it takes to get up to play every single night is not easy to summon. Their 16 game win streak is impressive no matter how you slice it.
Plus the ability to win close games, the clutchness, is usually what separates good from great teams, especially come playoff time.
Also individually, the clutchness defines Kyrie.
Lots of guys fill the stat sheet, but few if any are as clutch as Kyrie.
That is also what makes Michael Jordan standout in history more than anything else (that's why LeBron will always struggling to reach MJ, regardless of stats).

Old 11-27-2017, 08:41 PM

7,228 posts, read 8,237,914 times
Not sure if Memphis made the right move firing their coach. I thought his players liked him?

Old 11-27-2017, 09:05 PM

I was expecting the Cavs/Sixers game to be more competitive tonight but the Cavs came to philly ready to play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball