U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2017, 04:10 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,838,368 times

Advertisements

The 2015 Warriors didn't lose their sixth game until game 37; they started 31-6...the 2016 Warriors didn't lose their sixth game until game 61; they started 55-6...the 2017 Warriors didn't lose their sixth game until game 37; they again started 31-6...

And the 2018 Warriors have lost their sixth game before 2018 even began, and it took them just 21 games to do it...

For all I know, they may be getting ready to rip off a 30-game win streak, but I think it's absolutely fair to say that for the 1st Quarter of the 2017-18 NBA season, this is not the same Warriors team. The one that everyone predicted was starting a new era dynasty, the one that was assumingly unbeatable in a 7-game series, the one that's already been given 6 championships by most basketball fans and sports media...

Sure, they are still one of the five best teams in The Association, and at just 1/4 way through the year, I'm okay with saying that they are still the championship and Western Conference favorites. But we now have a quarter of basketball to reflect on and at least give some honest suppositions. This team is nowhere near as dominant as any of its previous three years, and the talent gap between them and the other elite teams is much closer than most of us predicted. The balance of power between the East and West has also shifted from being overwhelmingly West, to closer to 50/50...

I will again repeat that Golden State and Cleveland will have unprecedented challenges in winning their conferences this year, unprecedented by the ease in which both have won three years running. Saying that about the Dubs isn't a popular opinion but I'm sticking to my guns on that one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 06:23 AM

28,516 posts, read 15,470,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Not sure if Memphis made the right move firing their coach. I thought his players liked him?
I was surprised at that... something must have went down in the front office.

UPDATE: This may have something to do with it...

Memphis Grizzlies shock the NBA world by firing coach David Fizdale day after he benched Marc Gasol

The Memphis Grizzlies fired coach David Fizdale on Monday, with the team at 7-12 and a day after he benched center Marc Gasol for the fourth quarter of an eighth straight loss.

Gasol, given a maximum deal by the Grizzlies in July 2015, sat throughout the fourth quarter of a 98-88 loss to the Brooklyn Nets on Sunday. Gasol leads the Grizzlies in points, rebounds and assists, and he was an All-Star in Fizdale's inaugural season. But the center spent plenty of time after the game making it clear to reporters how upset he was at sitting out a full quarter.

"It's a first for me, trust me, and I don't like it one bit," Gasol said. "I'm more (ticked) than I can show and frustrated."

Fizdale explained his decision before Gasol spoke in the locker room and said he simply was trying to win a game while sticking with his reserves. Fizdale said taking a risk as head coach means sometimes upsetting a player or two.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 11-28-2017 at 07:00 AM..

Old 11-28-2017, 10:00 AM

2,838 posts, read 1,780,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I was expecting the Cavs/Sixers game to be more competitive tonight but the Cavs came to philly ready to play.
Cavs I think are 6-0 against teams in the east in current playoff spots. They've shown an ability to flip a switch. Honestly I think maybe one game comes to mind 117-113 loss at Houston where they appeared to play well but lost. Meanwhile Lebron is having an MVP year and the bench is actually one of the strengths of this team.

I'm interested to see how Thomas is integrated

Old 11-28-2017, 10:04 AM

3,800 posts, read 1,386,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Cavs I think are 6-0 against teams in the east in current playoff spots. They've shown an ability to flip a switch. Honestly I think maybe one game comes to mind 117-113 loss at Houston where they appeared to play well but lost. Meanwhile Lebron is having an MVP year and the bench is actually one of the strengths of this team.

I'm interested to see how Thomas is integrated
I heard the sixers were favored in last night's game

Old 11-28-2017, 10:18 AM

2,838 posts, read 1,780,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I heard the sixers were favored in last night's game
Wouldn't surprise me. Hard to get a read on Cleveland- from a cover standpoint.

The Simmons vs. Lebron talk likely fueled an extra gear for Lebron at least.

Generally speaking, If the Cavs feel like they are challenged they show up (Bucks 2X, Detroit and Philly were just blitzed by them). I can think of one game this season where the Cavs seemingly showed up, looked interested and played well but still lost (at Houston).

Old 11-28-2017, 10:24 AM

3,800 posts, read 1,386,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Wouldn't surprise me. Hard to get a read on Cleveland- from a cover standpoint.

The Simmons vs. Lebron talk likely fueled an extra gear for Lebron at least.

Generally speaking, If the Cavs feel like they are challenged they show up (Bucks 2X, Detroit and Philly were just blitzed by them). I can think of one game this season where the Cavs seemingly showed up, looked interested and played well but still lost (at Houston).
The Cavs did look ready to play whis something I'm not used to seeing.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:38 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,877,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The 2015 Warriors didn't lose their sixth game until game 37; they started 31-6...the 2016 Warriors didn't lose their sixth game until game 61; they started 55-6...the 2017 Warriors didn't lose their sixth game until game 37; they again started 31-6...

And the 2018 Warriors have lost their sixth game before 2018 even began, and it took them just 21 games to do it...

For all I know, they may be getting ready to rip off a 30-game win streak, but I think it's absolutely fair to say that for the 1st Quarter of the 2017-18 NBA season, this is not the same Warriors team. The one that everyone predicted was starting a new era dynasty, the one that was assumingly unbeatable in a 7-game series, the one that's already been given 6 championships by most basketball fans and sports media...

Sure, they are still one of the five best teams in The Association, and at just 1/4 way through the year, I'm okay with saying that they are still the championship and Western Conference favorites. But we now have a quarter of basketball to reflect on and at least give some honest suppositions. This team is nowhere near as dominant as any of its previous three years, and the talent gap between them and the other elite teams is much closer than most of us predicted. The balance of power between the East and West has also shifted from being overwhelmingly West, to closer to 50/50...

I will again repeat that Golden State and Cleveland will have unprecedented challenges in winning their conferences this year, unprecedented by the ease in which both have won three years running. Saying that about the Dubs isn't a popular opinion but I'm sticking to my guns on that one
The Warriors have a wider gap than they used to have with the rest of the league. The Cavs' situation depends on IT's health. The Warriors still have the league's top SRS (Simple Rating System--takes into account margin of victory & strength of schedule). They have the league's best FG% and the league's best defensive FG%. And they're resting players. If they are healthy in the playoffs, they should be heavily favored in every series.

The West remains stronger. They have two championship-caliber teams. The East hasn't shown us one yet. Assuming Kawhi comes back healthy, the West will have 3. The middling teams in the West--Blazers, Nuggets, TWolves, Pelicans--are stronger than their eastern counterparts: Pistons, Raps, Sixers, Wizards.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:28 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,838,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
The Warriors have a wider gap than they used to have with the rest of the league. The Cavs' situation depends on IT's health. The Warriors still have the league's top SRS (Simple Rating System--takes into account margin of victory & strength of schedule). They have the league's best FG% and the league's best defensive FG%. And they're resting players. If they are healthy in the playoffs, they should be heavily favored in every series.

The West remains stronger. They have two championship-caliber teams. The East hasn't shown us one yet. Assuming Kawhi comes back healthy, the West will have 3. The middling teams in the West--Blazers, Nuggets, TWolves, Pelicans--are stronger than their eastern counterparts: Pistons, Raps, Sixers, Wizards.
As of today (games through 11/27), Top Tier of of conferences:

East #1 Celtics have better record than West #1 Rockets and are 6-0 in interconference play (Rockets are 8-2)...

East #4 Raptors have better record than West #4 Blazers and are 6-3 in interconference play (Blazers are 5-4)...

The West 2 seed Warriors and 5 seed Wolves are better than their East counterparts. The 3 seed for both conferences (Cavs and Spurs) have the same record. Through one quarter of the season, if say both conferences have two legitimate championship caliber teams (Rockets/Warriors, Celtics/Cavs). Not interested in debating if and when Kawhi comes back--that franchise isn't winning a championship without him as currently constructed. Based off what we've actually seen, rather than your imagination, the top tier teams in both conferences are even. On to the middling teams:

East #8 seed Heat is better than West #8 Jazz and are 4-4 in interconference play (Jazz are 2-6)...

East #9 Knicks are better than West #9 Thunder and are 5-4 in interconference play (Thunder are 5-2)...

East #10 Bucks are better than West #10 Clippers and are 5-3 in interconference play (Clippers are 1-6)...

The West 6 seed Jazz and 7 seed Pels are better than their East counterparts, but the "middle" of the East is definitely stronger than the middle of the West. To boot, the East teams are playing better ball in interconference play as well...

Again, I'm not interested in your imagination of what you think may occur later or what you wish were true. Through almost one quarter of play, there is clearly not this schism between the conferences that you wish were true...

Now, I do expect some teams to come back to Earth (Sixers, Blazers, Jazz, Clippers), and I expect some teams to play better and rise in the standings as the year wears on (Cavs, Warriors, Spurs, Thunder), and I expect that there are gonna be one or two legitimately surprise teams (Pistons are a really good club and if they sustain this level of play will be a Top 3 seed and a challenger for the conference). It's a long year, but I'm strictly and specifically only addressing what has happened to this point. Your Dubs are not what they were said to be;not yet. Any if the last three years, they can be down two of their stars and still beat a team that's next-to-last in the entire West like the Kings yesterday...

Old 11-28-2017, 01:32 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,877,900 times
Your focus on record alone loses the signal amidst the noise.

Quote:
As of today (games through 11/27), Top Tier of of conferences:

East #1 Celtics have better record than West #1 Rockets and are 6-0 in interconference play (Rockets are 8-2)...
The Celtics are not as good as either the Rockets or the Warriors. Both the Rockets and Warriors, with worse records, have better margins of victory than the Cs. They have the best ORtg in the league (Boston is #12). While Boston has the #1 DRtg, the Warriors & Rockets are 7 & 8 (and the Warriors have better FG% defense than Boston).

Cs Raptors, Sixers, and Wizards have been the best teams in the East thus far. Warriors and Rockets are better than all 4. Blazers & Spurs are better than Sixers and Wizards, and the Spurs are doing it without their All-NBA star.

Of course, the Cavs are also better than the Sixers and Wizards and the Blazers, but not better than the Spurs.

The Wolves, Nuggets, and Pels are also better than the Sixers and Wizards.

Quote:
East #4 Raptors have better record than West #4 Blazers and are 6-3 in interconference play (Blazers are 5-4)...
The Raptors are the 2nd or 3rd best team in the East. They are not on the level of the Rockets or Spurs.

Quote:
The West 2 seed Warriors and 5 seed Wolves are better than their East counterparts. The 3 seed for both conferences (Cavs and Spurs) have the same record. Through one quarter of the season, if say both conferences have two legitimate championship caliber teams (Rockets/Warriors, Celtics/Cavs). Not interested in debating if and when Kawhi comes back--that franchise isn't winning a championship without him as currently constructed. Based off what we've actually seen, rather than your imagination, the top tier teams in both conferences are even. On to the middling teams:
There are two championship-caliber teams at this point. They are both in the West. There may be two more, but we'll find out once they get back their injured stars.

Quote:
East #8 seed Heat is better than West #8 Jazz and are 4-4 in interconference play (Jazz are 2-6)...
The Heat are better than the Jazz without Gobert. #8 in each conference is not middling.

Quote:
East #9 Knicks are better than West #9 Thunder and are 5-4 in interconference play (Thunder are 5-2)...
The Knicks are better than the Thunder, but neither team is good.

Quote:
East #10 Bucks are better than West #10 Clippers and are 5-3 in interconference play (Clippers are 1-6)...
The Bucks are better than #10 in the East. The Clippers are better than #10 in the West.

Quote:
The West 6 seed Jazz and 7 seed Pels are better than their East counterparts, but the "middle" of the East is definitely stronger than the middle of the West. To boot, the East teams are playing better ball in interconference play as well...
The two best teams are in the West. Three of the next 5 are in the West. And two of the following 4 are in the West. That's seven of the top 11.

Quote:
Again, I'm not interested in your imagination of what you think may occur later or what you wish were true. Through almost one quarter of play, there is clearly not this schism between the conferences that you wish were true...
I watch enough basketball to know that the West has better teams.

Quote:
Now, I do expect some teams to come back to Earth (Sixers, Blazers, Jazz, Clippers), and I expect some teams to play better and rise in the standings as the year wears on (Cavs, Warriors, Spurs, Thunder), and I expect that there are gonna be one or two legitimately surprise teams (Pistons are a really good club and if they sustain this level of play will be a Top 3 seed and a challenger for the conference). It's a long year, but I'm strictly and specifically only addressing what has happened to this point. Your Dubs are not what they were said to be;not yet. Any if the last three years, they can be down two of their stars and still beat a team that's next-to-last in the entire West like the Kings yesterday...
The Blazers are a good team. The Sixers are a promising team, but too young to be good. The Cavs are good and may be great, if IT comes back looking healthy. The Spurs are good, and will be great if Kawhi comes back healthy. The Thunder are bad. They will continue to be bad. The Jazz are a promising young team--also too young to be good. The Clippers are a weak team, but better than some would credit. The Pistons record belies their flaws. They won't have a Magic-esque fall to Earth, but they are not as good as their record. They will not challenge for their conference.

The Dubs are exactly what is expected--league's best FG% & best FG% defense. If healthy, they will again sleepwalk to the Conference Finals, where they will finally meet a worthy opponent.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:29 PM

17,319 posts, read 10,231,722 times
He's gone.

The Grizzlies have been hampered by horrible trades and signings. Chandler Parsons? Gasol is on the downswing of his career.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wake-da...050625598.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball