U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2017, 01:57 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,258,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Horford is Boston's best player. If team success is the argument for Kyrie, then it's actually an argument for Horford.
You're the only person on this board who seems to have this view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 02:14 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,876,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You're the only person on this board who seems to have this view.
And the only one who is right

Old 12-05-2017, 02:21 PM

5,444 posts, read 1,548,736 times
One thing is for sure, LeBron has no chance of winning MVP.
Its impossible for LeBron to be more worthy than Harden.
The only player with a chance to get MVP over Harden, is Irving.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:11 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,876,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amenalot View Post
One thing is for sure, LeBron has no chance of winning MVP.
Its impossible for LeBron to be more worthy than Harden.
The only player with a chance to get MVP over Harden, is Irving.
If the Cavs end up within striking distance of the best record and James is putting up these kinds of numbers all year, then he is a viable MVP. It would be disappointing for Harden to put together this body of work these last few years and not win one (I put Harden solidly as the #3 player in the NBA today), but LBJ is doing some crazy things this year. There will be shifts as they integrate Thomas, though. I don't see the case for Irving. As it stands today, it would be the weakest case since at least Derrick Rose and perhaps longer.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:48 PM

3,793 posts, read 1,383,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The NBA regular season is a 25-week marathon (7/6/6/6). We've now completed the first quarter of the year--everyone has played between 21 and 25 games to date. And while a lot will change between now and April, we are getting a sense of who the good teams are...

East
1 Celtics
2 Cavaliers
3 Raptors
4 Pistons
5 76ers
6 Bucks
7 Pacers
8 Wizards
In the hunt: Knicks, Heat

West
1 Rockets
2 Warriors
3 Spurs
4 Blazers
5 Nuggets
6 Wolves
7 Jazz
8 Pelicans
In the hunt: Thunder

Surprise surprise--if the postseason started today, I predict the final 4 would be Cavs/Celtics, Dubs/Rockets. And while both the Cavs and Dubs have had some early season struggles, the truth is, what is stopping us from seeing Cavs/Warriors IV? Nothing, and that's still my Finals prediction. And of course I favor Cleveland. It's the NBA. Teams can't accidentally win 12 straight games. ..

I did not anticipate Boston or Houston being as good as they are. I thought the Paul/Harden pairing wasn't a good fit--I was horribly wrong. Both Golden State and Cleveland are going to get serious pushes from Boston and Houston...

I'm glad the Giannis-mania has simmered down. He's good but he ain't all that. The Bucks will get better but they aren't a Top 4 seed or a legitimate contender for the East...

The Sixers are better than I anticipated. I don't know if they'll hold on to the 5th seed, but they are definitely in the playoffs...

The Spurs are not a true threat without Leonard, whose already missed 24 games. The handling of him makes me wonder if this is a career-threatening injury and it's optics are almost identical to the NFL's Andrew Luck--young star player who is now sidelined indefinitely with an injury nobody knows why he can't heal from...

The bottom half of the West playoffs is just as unimpressive as the East's, but the Thunder are the biggest disappointment this far. I am rooting for them and want it to work, but I don't know that it can. Donovan is a limited coach, and that offense is limited as currently constructed...

I'm not a fan of calling guys who missed their rookie years "rookies", just because they start play in Year 2. They had an entire year with the system and lifestyle and work of the pro game, besides being on the floor/field. The NFL doesn't call these guys "rookies" and I'm not sure any other sport does, so with that saud, Simmons shouldn't get ROY to me. Right now it shpuld be Donovan Mitchell ahead of everyone, as a true rookie...

Sixers are definitely the 4th best team in the Eastern Conference.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:04 PM

17,317 posts, read 10,218,998 times
Ugh, ankle again.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sources...042916211.html

Old 12-05-2017, 11:04 PM

51,993 posts, read 41,825,420 times
Quote:
And the only one who is right
While I have always loved his game, it seems that your favorites are lined up as "golden state" gets bonus points and anyone that played for Cleveland "negative points" lmao.

But I have been wrong before so why don't we put this to the test with a wager?

Does Horford get more MVP votes than KI?

Which one winds up on a higher "all-nba team"?

Old 12-05-2017, 11:05 PM

51,993 posts, read 41,825,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I *hate* injuries. It robs all of us as fans.

However, it should hopefully sort itself out by playoffs when it matters.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:24 AM

11,679 posts, read 7,054,084 times
Quote:
Kyrie's statistics are almost identical to last year's. He's scoring a little less, assisting a little less, and shooting a little better. Horford is Boston's best player. If team success is the argument for Kyrie, then it's actually an argument for Horford.

Kyrie has to be behind Harden, Curry, LBJ, and KD among the teams atop the standings. In terms of statistics on playoff teams, he has to be behind those 4 + Giannis, Anthony Davis, Cousins, and Porzingis--right about on par with DeRozan, Lillard, and Drummond.
Check his advanced statistics. PER is at a career high. TS% is at a career high. USG% at a career high. Not bad considering Kyrie was great last year.

Hmm, Kyrie is having his best season and the team he’s traded to just happens to be on pace to win 69 games compared to 52 with Horford leading the way. But yeah, Horford is their best player.

MVP doesn’t always go to the player with the best stats. If the Celtics finish with the NBA’s best record Kyrie will likely finish top-3 in MVP voting with a good chance of being #1. Book it.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:01 AM

3,793 posts, read 1,383,132 times
Looks like curry is out for two weeks but will be back in time for the Christmas Day against the Cavs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball