U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 10:59 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,873,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Yeah, in today's "pace and space" NBA, Rose and Wade are not exactly great fits on the floor together. I would like to think that Lue is going to find a way to maximize the Cavs potential when they are both on the floor, and Isiah Thomas' return may change some of that as well.
Wade will be a decent ball handler and scorer in limited minutes for the Cavs. Unfortunately, his defense has aged poorly. If he can't turn back the clock on that end for a couple of games in the Finals, then he is going to be useless to that team when it matters most.

Rose hasn't been a good player for quite some time, but platooning the bench point guard role between he & Calderon is a fine place to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
This is my favorite time of the year. I love the beginning of the NBA season. And already its it bit sour for me. Hayward's injury was terrible. Kawhi is out. Draymond has a knee issue. CP3 has a knee issue. Jeremy Lin is now out for the season with a knee injury. I just hope this is not one of those seasons.

Just wishing for good health for the league. I want to see the players play.
Yeah, injuries are always disappointing: they are bad for the competition and they are a jarring reminder of the of the toll pro sports takes on the bodies of the athletes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 11:51 AM

2,833 posts, read 1,773,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Wade will be a decent ball handler and scorer in limited minutes for the Cavs. Unfortunately, his defense has aged poorly. If he can't turn back the clock on that end for a couple of games in the Finals, then he is going to be useless to that team when it matters most.

Rose hasn't been a good player for quite some time, but platooning the bench point guard role between he & Calderon is a fine place to be.

Yeah, injuries are always disappointing: they are bad for the competition and they are a jarring reminder of the of the toll pro sports takes on the bodies of the athletes.
Wade is still a pretty good shot blocker at that position. He's a heady defender as well. I worry more about his volume shooting- Can he thrive in a system where he gets 5-10 shots a game? As a second unit scorer defender- I think he's more than capable in that role.

If Calderon sees the floor the Cavs are in trouble.

I was impressed the most by Lebron- he played 41, he's badly out of shape (he only played one preseason game)- He had a couple scores, a huge assist, and a huge defensive stop on Kyrie in the last 2 minutes, Jaylen Brown (not a fan but he looks to be adding some basketball skillsets to his athleticism, and lastly D.Rose (looks very explosive) and he's playing like its a contract year.

And With Lin going down that pick is a lock to be in the Top 4.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Wade is still a pretty good shot blocker at that position. He's a heady defender as well. I worry more about his volume shooting- Can he thrive in a system where he gets 5-10 shots a game? As a second unit scorer defender- I think he's more than capable in that role.

I was impressed the most by Lebron- he played 41, he's badly out of shape (he only played one preseason game)- He had a couple scores, a huge assist, and a huge defensive stop on Kyrie in the last 2 minutes, Jaylen Brown (not a fan but he looks to be adding some basketball skillsets to his athleticism, and lastly D.Rose (looks very explosive) and he's playing like its a contract year.

The Nets were always going to be bad. They don't have any shooters. It's too bad Lin went down, but he wasn't going to help them there, either.

Rose just isn't very good anymore. He's bad on defense and worse on offense. Calderon can shoot, protect the ball, and pass. He's atrocious on defense, but not as bad as IT. He can only be counted on to provide limited minutes for limited stretches of the season. The same is true of Rose with his injury history. Between them, the Cavs are hoping they've got a backup Point. If all else fails, at least they can count on LBJ to run point and hope that Wade can be serviceable while LBJ rests.

Of course LBJ is still great.

Wade is just not a good defender anymore. That will be particularly exposed against teams that move the ball and shoot well--especially the team we are all expecting Cleveland to meet in the Finals. I don't think Wade is playable as a defender against the Warriors starting unit. You can't put him on Curry or Klay or Durant. That problem is exacerbated if IT/Rose/Calderon are playing. None of those 4 Cavs can guard any of the Warriors' 3 shooters. I expect Wade's role (barring injuries on both teams) to be as a steadying influence with the backups, especially when LBJ rests.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:59 PM

51,862 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Quote:

Is TT going to pull his head out of Khole's posterior this year or is he coasting on that fat contract now?

They need him to show up this year.

Cavs team defense is going to need some improvement over last year.

GS has a couple guys with serious injuries in recent years, who knows what strength they may even be at come playoff time but Cleveland needs everyone to be pulling in the same direction regardless.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Is TT going to pull his head out of Khole's posterior this year or is he coasting on that fat contract now?

GS has a couple guys with serious injuries in recent years, who knows what strength they may even be at come playoff time but Cleveland needs everyone to be pulling in the same direction regardless.
I could not agree with you more that Cleveland needs to improve its team defense. That does not look likely at this stage. They are replacing minutes at the nominal PG from Kyrie & Deron Williams with minutes from IT, Rose, and Calderon. IT is worse than Kyrie defensively, which is staggering. Deron Williams, Rose, and Calderon are all awful at defense, but they should all play limited minutes when the games really count.

At the wings, the Cavs are probably going to replace R. Jeff, Liggins, & most of Shump's minutes with Jae Crowder & D. Wade's, plus a little time from Jeff Green. I think that's actually going to be a downgrade in the playoffs. Jefferson was not a good defender, but he was very physical on both ends of the floor. Wade is a much more finesse oriented player, but his defensive acumen can no longer keep pace with his athletic decline. In the playoffs, I don't expect to see much Jeff Green. Crowder is a decent defender, but so is Shump. Green's not good. Oh yeah, we'll likely see a lot fewer LBJ minutes at the wing. He's going to be the Point Forward at the 4 in the playoffs.

At 4 & 5, we'll see LBJ, Love, TT, and a few minutes of Frye instead of Love, TT, Frye, and Derrick Williams. That should be a defensive upgrade.

If the Cavs start trotting out lineups like: Wade, Shump, Crowder, LBJ, Love/TT, then I think we'll see improved defense. We'll also see a regression on offense.

If the Cavs trot out lineups like: IT, Wade, Crowder, LBJ, Love/TT, then I think they will be even worse on defense in the playoffs.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:36 PM

25,757 posts, read 13,399,507 times
Raptors are about to tip off in the opener against a depleted Bulls squad. With Hayward's devastating injury, the Raps, Wizards and Bucks have an eye to a higher rung on the East's ladder. I predicted in my Raptors' preseason post they would contend for 1st throughout most of the season and finish no worse than 3rd. Will stand by that, though with Hayward's loss, 2nd* appears more likely.

*With the usual health caveat.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:43 PM

3,960 posts, read 2,510,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Im going to go out on a limb here, and say no to that question.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:37 AM

2,833 posts, read 1,773,882 times
Maybe we should be asking "Who is Lonzo Ball?"

Is anyone else tired of LaVar Ball?

Old 10-20-2017, 11:33 AM

28,442 posts, read 15,427,246 times
Quote:
Maybe we should be asking "Who is Lonzo Ball?"

Is anyone else tired of LaVar Ball?
I'm not tired of him.

Can't get tired of him if you don't watch him...

Old 10-20-2017, 04:56 PM

1,564 posts, read 822,393 times
Patrick Beverly was drafted by the Lakers, but they traded him a day afterwards. Funny how that worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball