Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2017, 01:03 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ah, so the voters are RIGHT when giving awards to Green, Curry etc. but suddenly don't know what they're doing when they give them to other people.
Harden would have been right last year. Kawhi Leonard would have been right last year. LBJ would have been right last year. Westbrook was wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 01:30 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Out of curiosity, let's say you were a fan of a really crappy team like the Brooklyn Nets, and you had to select one player to rebuild around. Would you choose Klay Thompson, C.J. McCollum or Bradley Beal?

Old 12-07-2017, 01:37 PM

This is what Klay would be like on the Nets only with far less talent and fewer screens to run around to get his shot off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5k9PPUwPFc

Old 12-07-2017, 01:52 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Out of curiosity, let's say you were a fan of a really crappy team like the Brooklyn Nets, and you had to select one player to rebuild around. Would you choose Klay Thompson, C.J. McCollum or Bradley Beal?
Wouldn’t want to build around any of them. The Warriors aren’t built around Klay, the Wizards aren’t built around Beal (Wall) and the Blazer aren’t built around CJ (Lillard). If any of them are your best player, you’ll likely have a mediocre team. As a 2nd option to a top 5 player (Curry, Durant Lebron, etc), I’d have no problem taking Klay though. In fact, that’s what he was on a team that went to back to back finals.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Wouldn’t want to build around any of them. The Warriors aren’t built around Klay, the Wizards aren’t built around Beal (Wall) and the Blazer aren’t built around CJ (Lillard). If any of them are your best player, you’ll likely have a mediocre team. As a 2nd option to a top 5 player, I’d have no problem taking Klay though. In fact, that’s what he was on a team that went to back to back finals.
Sure, but when I think of a team that's "stacked" with talented players, I think of guys who can thrive on an individual level even if their team doesn't see much success. The Cavs were terrible with pre-Lebron Kyrie but his talent was undeniably clear.

It's hard for me to say that the Warriors were stacked with talent pre-KD when I can't see anybody on that team other than Steph being a No. 1 option on any other team. The Warriors, imo, had the right talents for their system rather than more talented players than other teams.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Sure, but when I think of a team that's "stacked" with talented players, I think of guys who can thrive on an individual level even if their team doesn't see much success. The Cavs were terrible with pre-Lebron Kyrie but his talent was undeniably clear.

It's hard for me to say that the Warriors were stacked with talent pre-KD when I can't see anybody on that team other than Steph being a No. 1 option on any other team. The Warriors, imo, had the right talents for their system rather than more talented players than other teams.
I see teams needing to fill roles and have certain types of players that are the best at filling a niche. Compare the 96 Bulls and Warriors. The Warriors essentially have two MJ level players (not saying either is as good) in Durant and Curry. Their Scottie Pippen (one of the best #2 players all time) is Klay Thompson. Rodman’s role (possibly the best dirty work player all time) is filled by Green and Iggy (a finals MVP) is their Ron Harper. That’s a recipe for success and can often times be better than just throwing out three #1 options. I’d pick the current Warriors over any version of the Heat or big 3 Celtics or current Thunder.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I see teams needing to fill roles and have certain types of players that are the best at filling a niche. Compare the 96 Bulls and Warriors. The Warriors essentially have two MJ level players (not saying either is as good) in Durant and Curry. Their Scottie Pippen (one of the best #2 players all time) is Klay Thompson. Rodman’s role (possibly the best dirty work player all time) is filled by Green and Iggy (a finals MVP) is their Ron Harper. That’s a recipe for success and can often times be better than just throwing out three #1 options. I’d pick the current Warriors over any version of the Heat or big 3 Celtics or current Thunder.
I agree that that's better than throwing out three No. 1 options (which is what the Thunder basically do), but this is obviously a situation where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I don't see the Warriors as having a talent edge (not before KD anyway). The only reason I liked the 2015-16 Warriors team is because they succeeded without the traditional type talents you see on the Heat or even that year's version of the Cavs. It's easier to root against them now since they're no longer the Little Engine That Could.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I agree that that's better than throwing out three No. 1 options (which is what the Thunder basically do), but this is obviously a situation where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I don't see the Warriors as having a talent edge (not before KD anyway). The only reason I liked the 2015-16 Warriors team is because they succeeded without the traditional type talents you see on the Heat or even that year's version of the Cavs. It's easier to root against them now since they're no longer the Little Engine That Could.
I agree. Monster team now that arguably the best player in the league joined an already great team.

As far as talent - if you pooled the Cavs and Warriors, who would be your top 5 picks?

For me it would be Lebron, Durant (slightly behind Lebron), Curry, Green, Klay. Don’t think I’d take Love or Thomas over Green or Klay despite both being former #1 options. Kyrie on the other hand would’ve been right there with Curry as a potential 3rd pick.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:10 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,890 times
Quote:
Klay. The best shooter and the best defender of the group.McCollum is the best ball handler of the three (but not good enough to be a full-time initiator). Beal's pretty much a discount version of Klay.

Quote:
Wouldn’t want to build around any of them. The Warriors aren’t built around Klay, the Wizards aren’t built around Beal (Wall) and the Blazer aren’t built around CJ (Lillard). If any of them are your best player, you’ll likely have a mediocre team. As a 2nd option to a top 5 player (Curry, Durant Lebron, etc), I’d have no problem taking Klay though. In fact, that’s what he was on a team that went to back to back finals.
Yeah, no contender will be built around them, I agree.

Quote:
+1

We've seen a number of superstar groupings fail to impress:
Kobe-Dwight-Nash-Pau -- their downfalls being failure to mesh, Nash's age, and Pau's injuries
CP3-Blake-DeAndre -- injuries & imo the transformation of Blake into an outside-in player
Harden & Howard -- Howard's health and/or motivation

Quote:
A lot of pre-KD Warriors had to play to their strengths, but they had major strengths. Klay Thompson is one of the best shooters in the NBA and an excellent on ball defender. Green, Bogut, and Iguodala were all monsters on the defensive end (and very good passers). And Steph was a transcendent talent.

Quote:
I agree. Monster team now that arguably the best player in the league joined an already great team.

As far as talent - if you pooled the Cavs and Warriors, who would be your top 5 picks?

For me it would be Lebron, Durant (slightly behind Lebron), Curry, Green, Klay. Don’t think I’d take Love or Thomas over Green or Klay despite both being former #1 options. Kyrie on the other hand would’ve been right there with Curry as a potential 3rd pick.
I don't have Kyrie in the top 6.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:29 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Sixers and Lakers on TNT tonight followed by the Rockets at 10:30pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball