U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2017, 06:54 PM

2,838 posts, read 1,778,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Klay. The best shooter and the best defender of the group.McCollum is the best ball handler of the three (but not good enough to be a full-time initiator). Beal's pretty much a discount version of Klay.

Yeah, no contender will be built around them, I agree.

+1

We've seen a number of superstar groupings fail to impress:
Kobe-Dwight-Nash-Pau -- their downfalls being failure to mesh, Nash's age, and Pau's injuries
CP3-Blake-DeAndre -- injuries & imo the transformation of Blake into an outside-in player
Harden & Howard -- Howard's health and/or motivation

A lot of pre-KD Warriors had to play to their strengths, but they had major strengths. Klay Thompson is one of the best shooters in the NBA and an excellent on ball defender. Green, Bogut, and Iguodala were all monsters on the defensive end (and very good passers). And Steph was a transcendent talent.

I don't have Kyrie in the top 6.
How did klay do against Kyrie last year in Finals?

Kyrie not in your top 6?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 09:42 PM

17,301 posts, read 10,212,749 times
Watching Rubio play tonite, it's striking how someone with such entertaining potential in the past has fallen this much.

He's obviously not a fit with the Jazz, and I wonder what team he would fit in with if he can't play good defense or pass to set up his teammates.

https://thejnotes.com/2017/12/06/uta...bio-hit-bench/

Old 12-08-2017, 08:57 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,252,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I agree. Monster team now that arguably the best player in the league joined an already great team.

As far as talent - if you pooled the Cavs and Warriors, who would be your top 5 picks?

For me it would be Lebron, Durant (slightly behind Lebron), Curry, Green, Klay. Don’t think I’d take Love or Thomas over Green or Klay despite both being former #1 options. Kyrie on the other hand would’ve been right there with Curry as a potential 3rd pick.
I'd agree with this. This is assuming, of course, that Lebron would be willing to buy into the system and concede most of the scoring responsibilities to Durant, Curry and Thompson. I'd like to think that any team with Lebron would be better off with him than without him, but the Lebron we see now in Cleveland would wreck the chemistry of the Warriors' offense. He holds the ball too much.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Klay. The best shooter and the best defender of the group.McCollum is the best ball handler of the three (but not good enough to be a full-time initiator). Beal's pretty much a discount version of Klay.
Can't agree with that. Beal is much more of an attacking player than Klay. He's good in the pick and roll, he splits double teams, he weaves around and through defenders for pull up and fadeaway jumpers, etc. He has an overall smoother and more free-flowing game than Klay who is more statuesque by comparison. Klay would be more of a Reggie Miller-type who'd need to come off screens more often than not, but Reggie at least had a good step back and pump fake. Klay is pretty much catch and shoot. On occasion, he might drive, stop, and then turn around and shoot. But overall, his game is too robotic, and I don't think it would work as a team's No. 1 scoring option.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:13 AM

4,492 posts, read 3,157,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Can't agree with that. Beal is much more of an attacking player than Klay. He's good in the pick and roll, he splits double teams, he weaves around and through defenders for pull up and fadeaway jumpers, etc. He has an overall smoother and more free-flowing game than Klay who is more statuesque by comparison. Klay would be more of a Reggie Miller-type who'd need to come off screens more often than not, but Reggie at least had a good step back and pump fake. Klay is pretty much catch and shoot. On occasion, he might drive, stop, and then turn around and shoot. But overall, his game is too robotic, and I don't think it would work as a team's No. 1 scoring option.

When talking about Klay. I'm kinda getting that Wes Matthews play from the Blazers that we thought could transfer over to the Mavericks. Matthews worked well in the Portland system as a spot up shooter. His play did not transfer well to the Mavericks. Wonder if the same would happen to Klay if he was to go to a team that didn't cater to his strengths?

Old 12-08-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
When talking about Klay. I'm kinda getting that Wes Matthews play from the Blazers that we thought could transfer over to the Mavericks. Matthews worked well in the Portland system as a spot up shooter. His play did not transfer well to the Mavericks. Wonder if the same would happen to Klay if he was to go to a team that didn't cater to his strengths?
Maybe. Klay is obviously one of the best in the NBA at catching and shooting off screens and catching and shooting in transition. He makes some of the toughest 3 point shots in the League. But most of his opportunities come from the Warriors' ball movement and playing with other great shooters who space the floor for him. I don't know if he could thrive in a system where defenses can collapse a bit more due to a lack of deep shooting threats.

Another thing about Klay is that he doesn't have much to offer offensively if his shot isn't going down. And he tends to shoot in streaks. He could be on fire and score 37 points in a quarter or be completely cold the way he was the first 2 games of the 2016 Finals. To be a No. 1 option, you need to find other ways to score beyond shooting jumpers.

As a Nets fan, I'd be happy to get Bradley Beal. I know most people don't pay much attention to our division, but Beal is raw. He should definitely be an All Star, in my opinion. If Klay got traded to Brooklyn, I feel like he'd get exposed since he's not good at creating his own shot. And he wouldn't have Golden State's ball movement and floor spacing to buy him clean looks.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 12-08-2017 at 09:36 AM..

Old 12-08-2017, 09:27 AM

The boy is nice. Way more athletic than Klay Thompson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOsE6pTmWBQ

Old 12-09-2017, 10:36 PM

28,499 posts, read 15,458,018 times
If you like guard play... Rockets v Blazers

Harden 48p
Paul 26p
Lillard 35p
McCollum 28p

Best game Harden and Paul have played together.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:42 PM

3,791 posts, read 1,381,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If you like guard play... Rockets v Blazers

Harden 48p
Paul 26p
Lillard 35p
McCollum 28p

Best game Harden and Paul have played together.

Harden making a strong case for MVP this season.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:20 AM

4,212 posts, read 2,833,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Harden making a strong case for MVP this season.
It's Harden's to lose right now. He's leading the best team in the NBA with eye-popping numbers...

His only close competition is really Lebron, but if the award were handed right now, I'd stay Harden deserves it more. If Houston finishes with a Top 2 seed, finishes strong and avoids any prolonged losing stretches, it's his...

Lebron is having his best season in years and it's a shame, but a testament to how well Harden is playing, that he won't get the MVP if voting commenced today. Lebron should have legitimately won the damn thing 6 years in a row--he was the best player in the game in 2008 and outplayed Kobe in most meaningful statistics, but Kobe got the sympathy vote (and in his defense he was due an MVP and did have a good year). And in 2011 he obviously deserved it over Rose. 2008-2013 he should have won six straight MVPs; 2008-2014 Lebron was head and shoulders the best player in the NBA by such a wide margin, probably the widest margin in NBA history, from 1 to 2...

He obviously has drifted closer to the pack since '15 and it's debatable if he's still #1 now, though I think most agree he is, but it's not #1 running away anymore. And the last four MVPs deserved their trophies...

I do think Harden had as strong a case as Westbrook last year, and in 2015 his resume was as arguable as anyone on the ballot with Curry. So even "if" it turns out that Kyrie or Curry or Lebron or someone has a greater season by years end, we may see Harden receive a sympathy trophy, a la '08 Kobe, from voters who feel he should have gotten one already and deserves this year off merit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball