U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2018, 06:08 PM

52,003 posts, read 41,844,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Writing's on the wall for Walton....

https://sports.yahoo.com/lavar-ball-...141419178.html
That'd be a stupid move on LA's part. He's a good coach with little to work with. But don't you worry! NEXT year the Lakers will get 8 all-stars to join them because gosh darn it they're a big market!

Hey, where did the guy go making fun of my Bulls as the worst team in the league coming into this year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 08:26 PM

7 posts, read 2,605 times
Carlisle rips ESPN for giving LaVar Ball platform

Dallas Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle rips ESPN for giving LaVar Ball a platform

Old 01-08-2018, 02:59 AM

3,962 posts, read 2,514,546 times
I just have to say it...I absolutely hate hate hate the Blazers new all red unis. Garbage.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:31 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,838,368 times
I have to say it: Kawhi Leonard may be done...

The info and handling of his injuries has been peculiar and very Andrew Luck-ish. I know the hope is that he will return and round back into elite form, but in 8 games he didn't look anything like it. Bottom line is the Spurs have no chance to win the tournament if he isn't at peak form. And long-term viability has to be a question if he misses most of this season...

The next 5 weeks before The Break should round contenders into form a little clearer. The Raptors next 7 games are versus current playoff teams or a team 1 gane or less out of contention, and they play 14 such games before The Break. I've been more impressed with them than ever, I've really liked DeRozan's maturity and how they've built the team around him. But these next seven games should tell us if they are a viable threat or if they have to fix some things by playoff time...

The Cavs also have 14 such games before The Break, and this period should tell us where the two teams stand right now. The Celtics lead in The East may grow larger by The Break, as they only have 9 such games before The Break and have a relatively light January schedule...

In The West, the Spurs have 8 such games before The Break, so they'll likely close the gap between themselves and Houston. The Rockets have 10 such games and the Warriors have 11, but as much as I hate to admit it, the Dubs are rounding into form. There was a slow start this year, but they are gaining strength and rounding back into that championship form. The Rockets aren't a legitimate threat until they change their game plan--they won't, it appears the philosophy is to 3-ball you to death, and if it isn't falling, oh well, just keep chucking those 3s! I'm very disappointed, they have very mediocre rebounding. They'll be better when Harden returns but at this point I've eliminated them as a legitimate threat until they fix the plan!

Old 01-08-2018, 10:52 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,877,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
The writing may very well be on the wall for Walton. The Lakers are a notoriously impatient franchise. But I'm highly skeptical that Lavar Ball's big mouth alone has enough sway to get anyone fired. The team will let Walton go if and when they're ready to, not if and when Lavar Ball says.

And for the record, I give Walton 0 blame for the team's struggles. Because even with their promising talent, they're still very young. I don't believe any objective person seriously expected them to compete for the playoffs this year, regardless of who was coaching them.
As Mathguy said (and you recognize too, I think), that would be a mistake. The Lakers were never going to be good this year. They are still too young and haven't got a roster that's ready to win consistently. I like the strides from Ingram this year. Ball's got talent but a lot to figure out. Kuzma looks like a steal. Clarkson, Nance, and Randle all look like rotation players (although not looking great as starters). They need a couple of good vets and they need their young guys to grow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That'd be a stupid move on LA's part. He's a good coach with little to work with. But don't you worry! NEXT year the Lakers will get 8 all-stars to join them because gosh darn it they're a big market!

Hey, where did the guy go making fun of my Bulls as the worst team in the league coming into this year?
They're finally trying to develop young talent. Hopefully they continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I have to say it: Kawhi Leonard may be done...

The info and handling of his injuries has been peculiar and very Andrew Luck-ish. I know the hope is that he will return and round back into elite form, but in 8 games he didn't look anything like it. Bottom line is the Spurs have no chance to win the tournament if he isn't at peak form. And long-term viability has to be a question if he misses most of this season...

The next 5 weeks before The Break should round contenders into form a little clearer. The Raptors next 7 games are versus current playoff teams or a team 1 gane or less out of contention, and they play 14 such games before The Break. I've been more impressed with them than ever, I've really liked DeRozan's maturity and how they've built the team around him. But these next seven games should tell us if they are a viable threat or if they have to fix some things by playoff time...

The Cavs also have 14 such games before The Break, and this period should tell us where the two teams stand right now. The Celtics lead in The East may grow larger by The Break, as they only have 9 such games before The Break and have a relatively light January schedule...

In The West, the Spurs have 8 such games before The Break, so they'll likely close the gap between themselves and Houston. The Rockets have 10 such games and the Warriors have 11, but as much as I hate to admit it, the Dubs are rounding into form. There was a slow start this year, but they are gaining strength and rounding back into that championship form. The Rockets aren't a legitimate threat until they change their game plan--they won't, it appears the philosophy is to 3-ball you to death, and if it isn't falling, oh well, just keep chucking those 3s! I'm very disappointed, they have very mediocre rebounding. They'll be better when Harden returns but at this point I've eliminated them as a legitimate threat until they fix the plan!
I hope Kawhi returns as an elite player. It would be a big loss for the NBA if he is diminished.

The Raps have had very good regular season records the past couple of years, but they have struggled mightily in the playoffs relative to their regular season finish. Last year, I think their defense didn't really toughen up and their offense (like almost all other teams) was slowed by opponents' greater defensive effort. I hope that changes this playoffs, but I have no faith that it will.

While the Celtics have the standings advantage, I think it the Cavs are heavy favorites to represent the East in the Finals. The Celtics play hard night in & night out. Not a lot of NBA teams can manage that. But the Cavs are going to do that in the playoffs. Home court in the playoffs is more important to the Cs than it is to the Cavs.

Injuries have affected all three Western Conference contenders this year. Hopefully we see all 3 healthy & ready to go in May. The Rockets have been the league's second best this year. I don't know if they will have the defense to hang with the Warriors in a 7 game series.

The Spurs depend on KL getting healthy and rounding into form. I don't think they get past the Rockets without a healthy Kawhi. Kawhi & Danny Green can make CP3 & Harden work for their offense. Not many teams have the wing defenders to do so.

The Warriors are still the league's measuring stick, in spite of a fair amount of missed time from its stars thus far and some visible disinterest in games in October and November. They still have a gear nobody else can reach.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:57 PM

23,651 posts, read 33,462,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin456 View Post
ESPN is looking for ratings and they know LaVar will get a reaction. Yes LaVar is insufferable but he is a marketing genius because people keep talking about him which keeps an eye on BBB and ESPN. The ESPN poll asking whether ESPN should stop covering him was the highest response poll in their history. His act is gonna get old when his son reaches bust status but until then LaVar is talking all the way to the bank.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:14 AM

5,446 posts, read 1,552,080 times
The Better Business Bureau gave Lavar's shoe company an 'F' rating, so its a good idea for him to be as controversial as possible so he takes the attention away from his faulty shoes.....
Quote:
The Better Business Bureau has given LaVar Ball’s Big Baller Brand a flat “F,” the lowest possible grade, a reflection of 44 negative reviews and zero positive reviews for the extravagantly priced apparel company.

The sad reviews for the company fronted by Lonzo Ball’s $495 sneakers include long delays for orders, incorrect orders being shipped and a lack of a phone number associated with the company, so customer service is more nonexistent than poor.
https://nypost.com/2018/01/08/steal-...lls-customers/

Old 01-11-2018, 08:59 AM

21,339 posts, read 21,917,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amenalot View Post
The Better Business Bureau gave Lavar's shoe company an 'F' rating, so its a good idea for him to be as controversial as possible so he takes the attention away from his faulty shoes.....

https://nypost.com/2018/01/08/steal-...lls-customers/
good, certain fools deserve bad service

Old 01-11-2018, 10:44 AM

5,446 posts, read 1,552,080 times
Lavar is so hopeless he wouldn't even be able to survive on ebay....
And I've been on ebay for about 15 years and have never received poor feedback, but Lavar clearly would fail.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:04 PM

52,003 posts, read 41,844,208 times
T-wolves really starting to come into their own with their young talent and the addition of Butler.

They're worth keeping an eye on if they can keep Wiggins and KAT together and healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball