U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 09:24 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,201,268 times

Advertisements

Rockets looking for a fight?
Went so far as to get into the clippers locker room
Can’t imagine what Austin Rivers said to get this kind of reaction
There’s no room for this, I’m hoping the league takes action.

Houston Rockets push into LA Clippers' locker room
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 11:00 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,876,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Anyone, even a mediocre athlete like myself can learn to shoot jumpshots.

The question would be "why hasn't he yet"?

The NBA is littered with guys that never improve. We'll see where he falls in that mix but frankly, I would think this is an easy problem to solve given his athleticism and available training.
It's one thing to shoot open jumpshots during a drill. It's another thing to shoot jumpshots during a competitive game against elite athletes when your body is tired. Westbrook & Rose are two examples of players who are not good jump shooters who have been (kinda, sorta) good enough. Rondo never developed a jumpshot & it hurt his career. LBJ is a good example of a guy who developed a decent jumper to round out his game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Well heís what 19? He should be shooting 2000 jumpers per day and be at least an average jump shooter within a few seasons. Same goes for Lonzo. I guess this is the rawness you get with guys that have 1 year in college to learn some of the basics of a pro player. A lot of the 4 years guys arenít ballers but they definitely come in with most of the fundamentals down.
Neither Ball nor Simmons has likely ever needed a jumpshot to dominate their competition. The NBA is a different arena, where players need secondary & tertiary skills in order to keep defenders honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Keep telling yourself that

Lennon got in trouble for comparing the Beatles to Jesus Christ, so I guess the theme continues...
Finals Preview #2:

More meaningful than the first, in that both sides were basically healthy.

Still, plenty of sloppy stretches from both teams last night.

What did we learn:
-Crowder needs to play every minute KD is in. He's the Cavs' best hope to make Durant work (without fatiguing LBJ).

-The Cavs' spare parts approach to defense is going to get mauled by the Warriors' O. Also, how are they trying to aggressively trap Curry on the P&R in 2018? I hope that's a feint, because 4 on 3 is always a recipe for disaster, but when 2 of the 3 are KD & Klay? Goodnight.

-IT doesn't (yet) have last year's explosiveness. If he regains it, he will be the X factor that makes the Cavs offense unstoppable. Of course, he offers very little on D. If he doesn't regain that explosiveness, then I think he subtracts more on defense than he adds on offense.

-LBJ had a game eerily reminiscent of last year's Game 1: strong numbers but uncharacteristic turnovers on bad decisions. He can't have games like this for the Cavs to have a legitimate shot.

-JR Smith: physical off ball on both ends of the court. The Cavs need that from him, especially without R Jeff this year.

-Love: steady as she goes--K Love continues to deliver exactly what the team needs from him.

-The other side is more predictable and stable: the Warriors have continuity & talent, and their injuries and lack of focus haven't dented their superiority to the rest of the league.

-The Cavs' insane aggressive trap of Curry freed up Draymond, Iguodala, and Bell to lead 4 on 3 offense, dicing up an already weak defense.

-The Dubs' 3 scorers had efficient nights, putting up 72 points on 43 shots.

-The Warriors' defensive intensity was uneven, but when it turned up, things got tougher for the Cavs.

-The only question for the Dubs is health. If the Warriors are healthy & focused, the Cavs will need to be pretty much perfect as they stand right now to have a shot. Two big things can change for the Cavs: 1) IT can round into last year's MVP-caliber form, and 2) they can use the Nets pick to get some help--especially on the defensive end. There's lots of discussion of DeAndre Jordan right now. I think they need to be looking more for wing defense than paint protection.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:02 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,425,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Canít imagine what Austin Rivers said to get this kind of reaction
Thereís no room for this, Iím hoping the league takes action.

That whole game was bizarre. I figured Paul had a grudge against Doc and his former team, but not to that extent.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:09 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,201,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
That whole game was bizarre. I figured Paul had a grudge against Doc and his former team, but not to that extent.
Iíve read a lot of issues between Paul and Austin Rivers. I hear Rivers is a huge cocky dbag, of course thatís my thoughts on Chris Paul too. No room for the egos

Old 01-16-2018, 08:32 PM

482 posts, read 251,510 times
Quote:

Unfortunate incident. I'm disappointed that things escalated to that extent. I'm also surprised -- no, I'm SHOCKED that Chris Paul has goons?!

Old 01-16-2018, 10:29 PM

5,434 posts, read 1,547,253 times
Houston's loss to Clippers is helpful to Harden's MVP chances, assuming he returns now and they win big.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:36 PM

5,434 posts, read 1,547,253 times
This season the Thunder are 5-5 without Roberson (including 4-4 in his recent injury stretch).
With him they are 19-15.
That's impressive also when you consider Roberson had to put up with the bad chemistry of the superstars early on.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:56 PM

3,961 posts, read 2,513,668 times
Quote:
Iíve read a lot of issues between Paul and Austin Rivers. I hear Rivers is a huge cocky dbag, of course thatís my thoughts on Chris Paul too. No room for the egos
Yeah, you cant let Austin Rivers get under yours skin if you are CP3...but what in the world was Arron Affalo thinking last night?!

https://streamable.com/m7t5r

Old 01-17-2018, 07:12 PM

3,961 posts, read 2,513,668 times
Quote:

Considering who tried to get into the Clippers' locker room, was CP3's new State Farm agent there, too?

Old 01-18-2018, 01:37 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,425,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Considering who tried to get into the Clippers' locker room, was CP3's new State Farm agent there, too?
Everybody wants in on those commercials lolol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball