U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-09-2018, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
3,851 posts, read 3,986,357 times
Reputation: 6520

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I was hearing on social media Thomas agent wants him to start once he gets to LA.
Yeah, that's not good advice though. IT is at his best as a 25-30 minute spark off the bench. If he and his agent keep talking like he's a complete stud starter, his next deal will be poor, or he'll end up on a really bad team like Sacramento.

Funny to see Payton dropped by Orlando for just a 2nd round pick. Aren't at least half of 2nd round picks total flops these days still? Payton should at least be a productive contributor off the bench playing either guard spot. Of course, he needs a new hair style, that floppy mess isn't funny any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2018, 10:08 AM
 
2,847 posts, read 1,791,810 times
Reputation: 1252
Looks like a bit of reset button for Cleveland.


The Problem is really Tristan Thompson. He hasn't developed ANYTHING at all in his game. He was a better defender two three years ago and I thought he had a glimmer of a back to the basket game. The mental mistakes tell me that he doesn't prepare himself at all for these games. He's one of the most disappointing Cavs players I can ever remember and we've had our fair share (Shawn Kemp, Rickey Davis, Larry Hughes).


I like Hood. He's gotta be excited headed into a contract year. He'll get a chance to shine in Cleveland
George Hill has always been a solid player. He's got a reasonable role. His role in Cleveland will be play a little defense and hit an open shot.
Clarkson I dunno.
Larry Nance is glue guy.


All in all, the trade makes Cleveland better, but the Cavs CAN only win it all if the problem above is fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 10:21 AM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,885,367 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Cavs:

In: Rodney Hood-OG, George Hill-PG, Jordan Clarkson-OG, Larry Nance Jr-PF

Out: Isiah Thomas-PG, Derrick Rose-PG, Channing Frye-C, Jae Crowder-SF, Dwayne Wade-OG, Iman Shumpert-SF

They've definitely rid themselves of lots of hubris and self-importance (IT, Rose, Wade) and added some solid more humble guys. I'd give Frye and maybe Shumpert a break because they did contribute to a championship, but the other 4 are clear Cav flops.

I think Lebron wants to end his star-trip days, and just play solid basketball with regular pros. We'll see if they are done, might need another big.

Cleveland Cavaliers acquire Rodney Hood, George Hill in 3-team trade with Utah Jazz, Sacramento Kings
Trade deadline is past--this is their squad unless they can claim someone off of waivers (unlikely).

I think it's a decent set of moves for the Cavs for this year. They're betting on IT not fully healing, which seems like a reasonable bet at this point.

Hill is a standard-issue (nominal) point guard. He's a good shooter, but just a middling ball handler, passer, and defender.

Hood is a decent young player. The trouble for the Cavs is that he's not ready yet (or he's not good enough). He hasn't translated his good body into good defense, even though he has been surrounded by defensive talent. He's a reasonably good shooter when open, but takes too many contested mid rangers (shot selection is where playing with LBJ will be the greatest help to Hood).

Clarkson is a good backup guard. Not much of a defender, not a shooter, and a live body to handle the ball.

Nance is a good young player. He will be a good speed 5 for the Cavs, eating up TT's minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Does this put the Cavs in a better position to compete against the Warriors?

Canít believe the IT trade that got all that attention amounted to basically him playing a few games. And to think, everyone was saying the Cavs made out like bandits.

Perhaps Kyrie/Love/Lebron of a few years ago was the Cavsí peak and all the trades just result in them getting worse.

We may look back at this moment as officially being the end of Lebron having a chance of leading teams to championships. Maybe heíll be the one leaving soon for a stacked team.
The Cavs are in a better position to compete with the Warriors if IT is not going to return to form this season. The Cavs are in a better position as a franchise if LBJ departs this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I don't think these trades were about the Warriors or even this season. I think this is Dan Gilbert looking to life after LeBron. The roster is totally made over with young players. Add in the Brooklyn pick and next season the Cavs are in a decent spot. For all of the ridicule that gets thrown at Dan Gilbert I actually tip my hat to him on this one.

Not sure what they will do in the playoffs. A totally made over roster going against teams that have been together all season (or longer) may struggle. That's a lot of guys to get on the same page in a very short period of time.
This isn't really an all-in for the future, and it's not an all-in on this year, either. This is a waffling franchise, and they will pay for it. The moves this year have been pretty dubious from Cleveland. If PG13 was on the table, as reported, they should have made it happen.

Gilbert is a moron when it comes to building an NBA franchise. He has the insane luck that one of the best players in history was not only heading to the draft when the Cavs had #1, but that guy was a hometown player with deep roots in the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
3,851 posts, read 3,986,357 times
Reputation: 6520
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Looks like a bit of reset button for Cleveland.


The Problem is really Tristan Thompson. He hasn't developed ANYTHING at all in his game. He was a better defender two three years ago and I thought he had a glimmer of a back to the basket game. The mental mistakes tell me that he doesn't prepare himself at all for these games. He's one of the most disappointing Cavs players I can ever remember and we've had our fair share (Shawn Kemp, Rickey Davis, Larry Hughes).


I like Hood. He's gotta be excited headed into a contract year. He'll get a chance to shine in Cleveland
George Hill has always been a solid player. He's got a reasonable role. His role in Cleveland will be play a little defense and hit an open shot.
Clarkson I dunno.
Larry Nance is glue guy.


All in all, the trade makes Cleveland better, but the Cavs CAN only win it all if the problem above is fixed.
Thompson may be getting happier, I think he needs to feel loved to play his best. With him still standing after the clear-out, I bet he'll start playing better.

The Washington Post has an article about the defensive prowess of the new guys. We know George Hill is a very good defender but apparently Nance Jr and Clarkson are quite good too with Hood at least average.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.4154ec2db1ca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 11:06 AM
 
2,847 posts, read 1,791,810 times
Reputation: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Thompson may be getting happier, I think he needs to feel loved to play his best. With him still standing after the clear-out, I bet he'll start playing better.

The Washington Post has an article about the defensive prowess of the new guys. We know George Hill is a very good defender but apparently Nance Jr and Clarkson are quite good too with Hood at least average.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.4154ec2db1ca
I like George Hill. He always saves his best playing against Cleveland. Aside from Delly the Cavs haven't had that good/great perimeter defending from that position. The analytics will say Delly wasn't a defender, but I saw plenty of heady hustle Defending from Delly. If Hill is solid here That's a rare plus for us.


In regard to Thompson, If you re-visit 16 and 17 Finals you see two different players. The 17 EC Finals he had a rare scoring uptick and played with energy, but throughout most of 16-17 season he appeared to be distracted and paid- showed very little hunger. This season much of the same since back from injury.


If he wants another contract and another ring- NOW is the opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 11:09 AM
 
2,847 posts, read 1,791,810 times
Reputation: 1252
Regarding Dan Gilbert, He just showed a willingness to go further into the luxury tax.


He appears to have spotted a good young GM although he let another good one go.


Cleveland Fans would LOVE to have a Dan Gilbert type owner for the Browns and for the most part the Indians (although Ownership seems a little more committed lately).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC
3,851 posts, read 3,986,357 times
Reputation: 6520
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I like George Hill. He always saves his best playing against Cleveland. Aside from Delly the Cavs haven't had that good/great perimeter defending from that position. The analytics will say Delly wasn't a defender, but I saw plenty of heady hustle Defending from Delly. If Hill is solid here That's a rare plus for us.


In regard to Thompson, If you re-visit 16 and 17 Finals you see two different players. The 17 EC Finals he had a rare scoring uptick and played with energy, but throughout most of 16-17 season he appeared to be distracted and paid- showed very little hunger. This season much of the same since back from injury.


If he wants another contract and another ring- NOW is the opportunity.
Plus George Hill is the ultimate "system player" among point guards. I think these deals are Cleveland wanting to become a good system team with only Lebron being the creative improviser and jack of all trades. It's like Lebron said: "just give me some solid guys who know where to be and aren't getting in my way or taking the ball from me too much."

It might really work, but it might not be until the finals when they need more from these moderately talented new guys.

Delly BTW can be a great defender but it depends on the game and matchup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2018, 03:07 PM
 
3,882 posts, read 1,412,893 times
Reputation: 1673
Well the almighty number one seed Celtics are losing to the new look Cavs at home. I been saying all season that I don't trust this Celtics team and would not bet money they are coming out of the East. Their star player just dribbles and dribbles and launches up long three pointers in addition to a weak bench. The Cavs was going to beat the Celtics before the trade deadline which confirms this was all Golden State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2018, 04:02 AM
 
Location: Here or There
3,967 posts, read 2,521,967 times
Reputation: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Well the almighty number one seed Celtics are losing to the new look Cavs at home. I been saying all season that I don't trust this Celtics team and would not bet money they are coming out of the East. Their star player just dribbles and dribbles and launches up long three pointers in addition to a weak bench. The Cavs was going to beat the Celtics before the trade deadline which confirms this was all Golden State.
The Cavs whipped the C's. Did the Celtics think this was going to be an easy game since Cleveland is in a state of adjustment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2018, 04:31 AM
 
3,882 posts, read 1,412,893 times
Reputation: 1673
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
The Cavs whipped the C's. Did the Celtics think this was going to be an easy game since Cleveland is in a state of adjustment?
Well i had no idea that the Toronto raptors moved into the number one spot in the East after the cavs won.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top