U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2018, 06:16 AM

5,450 posts, read 1,552,961 times

Advertisements

I'm not that convinced by the Cavs win at Boston, I expected it.
It was fairly expected that the trades would energize them, whereas it was just another game for Boston in a long season of defensive intensity.
I think ultimately in the playoffs when defense really matters in addition to clutchness (Kyrie is the king of clutch on the big stage), Boston may be better than Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 08:16 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,840,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
I'm not that convinced by the Cavs win at Boston, I expected it.
It was fairly expected that the trades would energize them, whereas it was just another game for Boston in a long season of defensive intensity.
I think ultimately in the playoffs when defense really matters in addition to clutchness (Kyrie is the king of clutch on the big stage), Boston may be better than Cleveland.
Not convinced with Boston, who after starting the season 26-7 is now just 14-11 in their last 25 games, including just 8-7 versus current playoff teams. Don't sound too threatening to me...

They will turn it around and still finish with a Top 3 seed, but this team isn't ready to win anything this season...

As for Cleveland, the immediate return looks promising. Fully expect a stretch or two where they struggle, but this team is better than what they looked previously and last night's game should put the rest of the East on notice. Lebron may not make his 8th straight Finals, but he's not going quietly and this revamped squad will be a tough out...

Old 02-12-2018, 08:23 AM

28,533 posts, read 15,474,736 times
Kings waive Joe Johnson. Rockets likely to pick him up.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:00 AM

25,882 posts, read 13,445,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Well i had no idea that the Toronto raptors moved into the number one spot in the East after the cavs won.
And they're looking to stay there.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:25 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,878,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
The Cavs whipped the C's. Did the Celtics think this was going to be an easy game since Cleveland is in a state of adjustment?
Meh . . . it's hard to prepare for an opponent that just put together a team no one has ever seen before. I don't put much stock in this one. Teams are going to figure out the new-look Cavs, and that's when we will start to see what they are really made of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Not convinced with Boston, who after starting the season 26-7 is now just 14-11 in their last 25 games, including just 8-7 versus current playoff teams. Don't sound too threatening to me...

They will turn it around and still finish with a Top 3 seed, but this team isn't ready to win anything this season...

As for Cleveland, the immediate return looks promising. Fully expect a stretch or two where they struggle, but this team is better than what they looked previously and last night's game should put the rest of the East on notice. Lebron may not make his 8th straight Finals, but he's not going quietly and this revamped squad will be a tough out...
Yeah, Boston has always been playing a bit over their heads. They put up some impressive winning streaks, but they've been playing like a 50-55 win team this year. I don't think they have a shot against the Cavs.

We are all still waiting for the Raptors to translate regular season success into playoff success. Until they prove capable, the Cavs have to be the East favorites. It's going to take some time before we know how good this Cavs team is. First they have to gel, then opponents need to have seen enough to game plan for them.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:12 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,431,779 times
Quote:
Well i had no idea that the Toronto raptors moved into the number one spot in the East after the cavs won.
Everyone forgets about the Raptors, but they appear to be having their best season ever.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:22 PM

Toronto looks legit. Right now they are the best team in The East, and yes, they do appear to be the best Raptors team I've ever seen. And yet, the Raptors have been a conference contender for years, and as much as I'm a fan with how they've built this team and matured, exactly what reason do I have to trust that they can take it to The Finals? Certainly, nobody is gonna suggest that because the Raptors are on a 58-win pace, they should far and away be assumed ECF champions? We've seen this story from Toronto before:

2014: franchise record 48 wins, East #3, 1st Rd loss
2015: franchise record 49 wins, East #4, swept badly in 1st Rd
2016: franchise record 56 wins, East #2, needed 7 games to barely get by first two rounds, lost in 6 in ECF
2017: second-most wins (51) in franchise history, swept in 2nd Rd

There is no reason to trust Toronto. That said, I am admitting they have been the best team in The East this year, and they are legit threats to win The East, but will I favor them over Cleveland? That's a hard sell...

Old 02-12-2018, 05:59 PM

3,802 posts, read 1,387,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Toronto looks legit. Right now they are the best team in The East, and yes, they do appear to be the best Raptors team I've ever seen. And yet, the Raptors have been a conference contender for years, and as much as I'm a fan with how they've built this team and matured, exactly what reason do I have to trust that they can take it to The Finals? Certainly, nobody is gonna suggest that because the Raptors are on a 58-win pace, they should far and away be assumed ECF champions? We've seen this story from Toronto before:

2014: franchise record 48 wins, East #3, 1st Rd loss
2015: franchise record 49 wins, East #4, swept badly in 1st Rd
2016: franchise record 56 wins, East #2, needed 7 games to barely get by first two rounds, lost in 6 in ECF
2017: second-most wins (51) in franchise history, swept in 2nd Rd

There is no reason to trust Toronto. That said, I am admitting they have been the best team in The East this year, and they are legit threats to win The East, but will I favor them over Cleveland? That's a hard sell...
The Cavs were favored to come out the east before the trade and really favored after the trade.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:30 PM

25,882 posts, read 13,445,735 times
Quote:
The Cavs were favored to come out the east before the trade and really favored after the trade.
I think I can speak for most Toronto fans and say I'm glad that's the case. ESPN's and the NBA's worship at the Cavs' shrine serves the purpose of all the teams looking to knock them off. It fuels the competitive fires.

There are distinct advantages to being overlooked by the tall NBA foreheads. And it's certainly true that Toronto's post-season record to date is far from stellar, so some of the condescension is well-earned.

But I've watched this team for 23 years and closely for the past 6-7, and they are very, very good - easily the best Raptor team ever.

And they're young, with more room for growth.

But by all means, do keep on dismissing their chances to come out of the East. It helps the cause.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think I can speak for most Toronto fans and say I'm glad that's the case. ESPN's and the NBA's worship at the Cavs' shrine serves the purpose of all the teams looking to knock them off. It fuels the competitive fires.

There are distinct advantages to being overlooked by the tall NBA foreheads. And it's certainly true that Toronto's post-season record to date is far from stellar, so some of the condescension is well-earned.

But I've watched this team for 23 years and closely for the past 6-7, and they are very, very good - easily the best Raptor team ever.

And they're young, with more room for growth.

But by all means, do keep on dismissing their chances to come out of the East. It helps the cause.
So what will your response be if its the same old Raptors, flaming out in the postseason?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball